You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Government can go fuck themselves if they think I'm downloading their app.

I completely understand why you’d say that, but do you not think it’s a bit  irresponsible for yourself and those around you? 

I could see places checking your tracing status before letting you in places. 

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I completely understand why you’d say that, but do you not think it’s a bit  irresponsible for yourself and those around you? 

Much like the NHS staff app that was developed, that let admin read private message, I don't trust this government to not fuck this up. They're in thrall of tech but do not understnd it.

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The big issue is privacy, before you get to the flaws in the app itself. By not adopting Apple and Google’s API the government are seeking to hold data on a centralised server rather than the Apple/Google method of holding most of the data on the phone thereby ensuring greater privacy. Would you trust the current set of wankers with this? I wouldn’t.

This also means the app won’t work when the phone is in sleep mode.

Then we get to the other flaws...

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/uk-coronavirus-contact-tracing-testing-flaws

From what I’ve read, you don’t need to put any personal info into the app. I’m sure they’ll be able to track the app to registered phones to know who’s downloaded it, but I bet that the same with most apps anyway. 

I completely understand people’s reservations about the app, for me though, if it stops me coming into contact with people who’ve had symptoms of the virus & in turn would stop me potentially passing it onto my family (or vice versa) then I think it’s worth the risk.

As soon as there is a vaccine or sufficient treatment, it’ll be getting deleted though. 

10 hours ago, Anubis said:

So they've failed To brush it under the carpet, so they're making this about Brexit. 

14 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

From what I’ve read, you don’t need to put any personal info into the app. I’m sure they’ll be able to track the app to registered phones to know who’s downloaded it, but I bet that the same with most apps anyway. 

I completely understand people’s reservations about the app, for me though, if it stops me coming into contact with people who’ve had symptoms of the virus & in turn would stop me potentially passing it onto my family (or vice versa) then I think it’s worth the risk.

As soon as there is a vaccine or sufficient treatment, it’ll be getting deleted though. 

I'm absolutely fucked if I'm volunteering my movements to this government. They'll mismanage this and deliver a bag of shite that won't work anyway, then some twat absolutely will abuse and exploit the data. Anyone who thinks they won't is very naive. It's not a risk, it's a guarantee because incompetence will ensure the data isn't protected sufficiently and there's enough cunts in this government (and hackers) to ensure that vulnerability is exploited. 

• Upvote 1

Hasn't this government recently just sold our NHS data to the US. Can't remember if I read that here. They can go fuck themselves eitherway. I'll do everything doctors and scientists suggest but I'm not using the government app. I'd trust the mob before I trust these fucking Tory sociopaths.

That Carole Cadwalladr (sp) was saying the reason he doesn't want to go is because he's working on some sort of analytics/data mining chicanery and him and Gove have been thick as thieves about it for years. He views himself more a Zuckerberg or a Musk but without the technical skills, i.e he's a brain on legs and exists on a higher plane of existence to everyone around him, who are therefore worthy of contempt. It's amazing what you can do when you surround yourself with stupid people who love the smell of their own shit. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Jenrick getting absolutely slaughtered by Adam boulton at the moment. 

Boulton has sounded almost liberal lately. The likes of him and Morgan, Peter Oborne, even (briefly) Ian Dale have been going nuts about Johnson's current mob. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Jenrick getting absolutely slaughtered by Adam boulton at the moment. 

Wait, they sent an MP who broke lockdown rules to defend and adviser who broke lockdown rules? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Boulton has sounded almost liberal lately. The likes of him and Morgan, Peter Oborne, even (briefly) Ian Dale have been going nuts about Johnson's current mob. 

No doubt because they're being marginalised themselves. This government has made a massive play to make the BBC their mouthpiece. 

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Is Cummings actually that clever? People talk like he's some kind of genius but as far as I can tell, he really isn't. Smart and cynical gets you a long way with this government. The Cabinet are thick as fuck. 

It would appear he's clever enough to ensure he's absolutely bulletproof. If he survives this, it is genuinely a Houdini act. 

3 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Is Cummings actually that clever? People talk like he's some kind of genius but as far as I can tell, he really isn't. Smart and cynical gets you a long way with this government. The Cabinet are thick as fuck. 

In the valley of the blind the one eyed man is king . 

10 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

6 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It would appear he's clever enough to ensure he's absolutely bulletproof. If he survives this, it is genuinely a Houdini act. 

Rather than highlighting any intelligence on his part surely it just highlights how fucking dumb the likes of Johnson are if they think he's some kind of genius they couldn't survive without.

12 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Was saying earlier in the thread, this is the bit I can't figure out. I suppose there's different types of clever. People think Johnson and Rees Mog are clever because they can recite Latin verbatim, but I can recite Vanilla Ice in much the same way.

Brutal as it sounds, I think Cummings is a genius in one sense - he understands the mob. There was a line someone posted from a film on here which said 'a person is clever, people are stupid'. 

I think things like 'I drove to test my eyesight' is, on the face of it, a stupid thing to say, but look at the distraction it's caused from the actual issue of 'should he have been travelling at all'. Note too how the hashtag 'scummedia' popped up out of nowhere, how he kept the media waiting for his press conference (possibly to get them agitated and angry) and how the optics of the event had him sat on a basic table and chairs, with them standing and looming large over him. 

He throws things like that into the mix, only half caring if it works fully or not. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

Rather than highlighting any intelligence on his part surely it just highlights how fucking dumb the likes of Johnson are if they think he's some kind of genius they couldn't survive without.

Before all this he picked his mark in Johnson and managed to make himself the most powerful man in government. He's already got rid of a chancellor. It's not a question of him being indispensable, he's made himself the boss and he's been the boss since May quit last year and then delivered the best Tory win in decades. 

54 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

That Carole Cadwalladr (sp) was saying the reason he doesn't want to go is because he's working on some sort of analytics/data mining chicanery and him and Gove have been thick as thieves about it for years. He views himself more a Zuckerberg or a Musk but without the technical skills, i.e he's a brain on legs and exists on a higher plane of existence to everyone around him, who are therefore worthy of contempt. It's amazing what you can do when you surround yourself with stupid people who love the smell of their own shit. 

One of the interesting things I picked up on in this jamboree is the Scottish minister who resigned explaining he had no particular axe to grind with Cummings by saying he had never met him , which suggests that he is not seen much in and around even the cabinet members.