Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 654 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Yeah, but most British people are taking (or trusting) their news off BBC TV and that is their trusted source in my opinion. I'm not saying other websites don't get massive hits, but an awful lot of people who read the mail know it's biased, but it appeals to their biased point of view. They believe when they watch the BBC each day, they're getting an unbiased reporting of events. 

 

 

Yeah, I get all that mate. I should have highlighted the last bit of your previous post (The beyond bit). The BBC are not as popular abroad as they once were. Personally I think the BBC are playing with fire, this current set of politicians won't be in power forever (the way they are going they'll struggle to see out this term) and the next lot may not look on the BBC so favourable. It wasn't that long ago that the Tories were talking about scrapping the licence fee as far as the BBC goes. If that were to happen and they reinvented themselves as an Independent service they'd be miles behind the competition in that and could easily disappear into obscurity in a short space of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Amusing to watch right wing troll accounts trying to suggest he’ll kill himself like Caroline Flack because he’s being bullied.

Never bothers them when it's someone from another political persuasion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Amusing to watch right wing troll accounts trying to suggest he’ll kill himself like Caroline Flack because he’s being bullied.

Clearly he won’t do that but I do think there’s a line the media should be careful not to cross.
 

He’s definitely a cunt, should resign or be sacked and of course he’s in a position where he needs to be held to account.

 

I’m not saying the line has been crossed, only that it shouldn’t be. Two wrongs and all that.  After Caroline Flack, I was hopeful that the media would do their job but in a more ethical/kinder way (I know this was always unlikely) and this should apply no matter who they’re holding to account.

 

That scrum outside his house yesterday wasn’t a good look. They just need to take the high road, keep asking the questions, apply reasonable pressure and hopefully the right result will be obtained.   
 

Crossing the line just gives ammunition to those seeking to deflect from the obvious wrongdoing of one of their own. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Don't know who that chap is, but publishing your own bank details online doesn't seem the brightest idea.

 

 

Craig Murray is sound. Dont worry he's more than bright enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They use Caroline Flack yet had no problem constantly hounding Corbyn .... fuck him and fuck them 

 

Yeah, Corbyn was pilloried on a regular basis. I bet Cummings is frantically searching his family history to see if he has any Jewish connections so he can play a certain card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

 

Yeah, Corbyn was pilloried on a regular basis. I bet Cummings is frantically searching his family history to see if he has any Jewish connections so he can play a certain card. 

He's playing every other card, and he will run out of family members to blame soon. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Amusing to watch right wing troll accounts trying to suggest he’ll kill himself like Caroline Flack because he’s being bullied.

Nonsense of course but this camping out a persons address and harassing them is not on, it was wrong when it was Corbyn and it’s wrong now. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Mail is the most widely read 'news' website in the western world I think.

I was using wiki yesterday to find out who owned the mail after its damming front page and was surprised to see it's in the top three selling papers in the UK along with the rag and Merto.

 

I'm not sure the Metro should be included in the top three though as it's free and distributed in a totally different way to the others.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I was using wiki yesterday to find out who owned the mail after its damming front page and was surprised to see it's in the top three selling papers in the UK along with the rag and Merto.

 

I'm not sure the Metro should be included in the top three though as it's free and distributed in a totally different way to the others.

It goes a long way to explaining why we are in this situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

 

I was on about the Mail being popular outside of the UK mate. I think Yahoo and Google are so high because a lot of people will have them set as their homepage and not just necessarily as their main go to site for news, I guess every time they load a new page it counts as a hit. 

Mail Online (and the Guardian) have been top 5 newspaper sites in the world for at least 10 years. I think they were even top 2 or top 3 for a while.
 

27 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Mail is the most widely read 'news' website in the western world I think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

 

Yeah, I get all that mate. I should have highlighted the last bit of your previous post (The beyond bit). The BBC are not as popular abroad as they once were. Personally I think the BBC are playing with fire, this current set of politicians won't be in power forever (the way they are going they'll struggle to see out this term) and the next lot may not look on the BBC so favourable. It wasn't that long ago that the Tories were talking about scrapping the licence fee as far as the BBC goes. If that were to happen and they reinvented themselves as an Independent service they'd be miles behind the competition in that and could easily disappear into obscurity in a short space of time. 

Well I think part of the BBC's behaviour currently relates to the fact Cummings himself wants to scrap the license fee - and they're trying to prove to him the value of the UK version of TASS or something. 

 

The thing I think the BBC have, is a little like the NHS, it has that place with the British public that it is this super duper thing that is not just ours but is the best in the world even if that point of view is incorrect. They can suck up all they like to Cummings. Then if Starmer was to get in next, they'll just do whatever is needed to keep him onside to maintain the license fee. Their job right now is to stop Cummings scrapping the fee (especially as he's seen as a man who wants revolution and smash up the status quo) and they'll care about the next crisis and threat to that after and know they'll have the support of a massive part of the country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I was using wiki yesterday to find out who owned the mail after its damming front page and was surprised to see it's in the top three selling papers in the UK along with the rag and Merto.

 

I'm not sure the Metro should be included in the top three though as it's free and distributed in a totally different way to the others.

 

 

 


The Daily Mail website is the most visited on the planet at times.

 

They claim they are two separate entities though so the can escape British libel law and various watchdog bodies that have no jurisdiction where they claim they operate from.

 

The Metro is also owned by the Mail group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is he being allowed to address the nation???? He isn't an elected member of parliament. Anyone know what time it is? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Hope he resigns before he’s sacked. It’ll make Boris look weak. 

Think the fact.that he is taking questions would indicate he not resigning. I also think giving an unelected civil servant a platform to make a statement and take questions is I appropriate. Should be his boss doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is he taking questions from? A select number of hand picked hacks who’ve been fed the soft-soap questions to ask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×