You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

App not ready in time, despite assurances yesterday in the lower house which we all could see had no basis in reality!

Don't worry no questions for a few weeks due to recess at a time of national crisis, so the message given to the public will have been fine tuned and polished and fit for pleb consumption before any serious questions can be asked.

Fucking cretins.

What makes all this worse if you live in the USA and UK is each country's' leader's comfort with lying.

So for instance, good news is no longer good news, it's just fibs. He will come onto the telly and say there's three million testing kits or ten thousand ventilators or the cure will be ready next Thursday and none of it matters because none of it is true, so he literally serves no purpose. It's Comical Ali stuff, or if Churchill took to the airwaves and said "there's no need to fight them on the beaches, I have it on good authority that Hitler has resigned to spend more time on other projects."

The pro borris imbeciles seem to buzz off the fact he's quite cavalier with the truth, and when it comes to things like Brexit or the budget or something you can still probably get away with it, but when it comes to something like a life and death pandemic where facts and rules are the key to possibly staying alive, it turns out it's not a very practical quality to have in your leader. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Over 5 million dead from Covid-19. 

Embarrassing. 

Where is that figure from? Worldometer says 330,000, which is just under 1.5% of the total deaths in the world this year.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What makes all this worse if you live in the USA and UK is each country's' leader's comfort with lying.

So for instance, good news is no longer good news, it's just fibs. He will come onto the telly and say there's three million testing kits or ten thousand ventilators or the cure will be ready next Thursday and none of it matters because none of it is true, so he literally serves no purpose. It's Comical Ali stuff, or if Churchill took to the airwaves and said "there's no need to fight them on the beaches, I have it on good authority that Hitler has resigned to spend more time on other projects."

The pro borris imbeciles seem to buzz off the fact he's quite cavalier with the truth, and when it comes to things like Brexit or the budget or something you can still probably get away with it, but when it comes to something like a life and death pandemic where facts and rules are the key to possibly staying alive, it turns out it's not a very practical quality to have in your leader. 

We're getting to the point where the truth is anathema to politics and it's being actively encouraged because the doddery old fucks in control can be led astray by tecno wizardry, of questionable providence.

We have wheels within wheels of active deception and optic management that has decimated any semblance of a plan, or heaven forefend, a series of plans to fix this, that or the other.

Self serving cunts beholden to technology and people they don't understand, think Peter Mannion with a bunch of deplorable fuckheads and no regulation or morality.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

That's all true. But I mean at an even more fundamental level - in terms of the relationship between teacher and student. Once it becomes (perceived as) a commercial relationship, the teacher is regarded as a service provider (by students especially) and the student as a customer (by management especially). That's the death of it - as an authentic pedagogical and even human relationship. It's become a form of prostitution.

This may all sound pretty abstract, but I experience it on a daily basis. And I've been around long enough to know that it used to be different and better.

No I think you're spot on. My mate tutors on the side and works with a lot of uni students. He reckons there's a prevailing attitude among them that they've paid for a qualification and are somehow owed it without having to put a shift in.

Have definitely noticed a drop in quality of work experience students placement kids down the years in my own various lines of work, as has my Mrs in hers. 

I was in the first fee paying uni year and the lecturer actually apologised to us. She was like: "this time last year you would have had your own common room and kettle, students used to talk about the work and I'd take small seminars, now there are three times the number of you and it just can't be done."

Standard definitely dropped in terms of the calibre of people getting let in too. I'm no brainbox by any stretch but wanted to be there and was around pretty decent people, by the time I left it was starting to resemble a youth club for excluded kids.

50 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Over 5 million dead from Covid-19. 

Embarrassing. 

5 million infections have been reported, not deaths.

8 hours ago, Scott_M said:

c.1% is about right. 

OK

Doctors and activists in Dagestan have described the death toll in the Russian region as “tragically high”, after officials said more than 600 people had died from pneumonia since April – far more than the official Covid-19 death toll for the region of 36.

“In some towns, five to seven people were dying a day … some have seen 20 or 40 people die,” said Ziyatdin Uvaisov, the head of Patient Monitor, a Dagestani NGO that advocates for the rights of patients and medics and has canvassed for information about coronavirus deaths.

At least six doctors have died at a single hospital in the closed-off city of Khasavyurt. Patimat, a doctor in the cardiology department there, told the Guardian that a majority of the doctors had contracted coronavirus, including herself, and a “considerable number” had died or at one point been too sick to work. Another doctor said seven health workers had died at the hospital.

10 minutes ago, aRdja said:

330k from Covid or with Covid?

Why do you keep trying to make a distinction? If a fella has a heart condition that he otherwise would not die from Covid caused his death. If someone gets pneumonia as a consequence of the virus and dies, Covid caused the death.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why do you keep trying to make a distinction? If a fella has a heart condition that he otherwise would not die from Covid caused his death. If someone gets pneumonia as a consequence of the virus and dies, Covid caused the death.

One of the posters here (Maybe SasaS or Spy Bee or Strontium Dog) mentioned that some of the reported number of deaths from Covid were greatly exaggerated because, it included those who died *with* Covid as opposed to from, therefore to get the real picture of how bad the pandemic is you need to take the that out. Since then I’ve always tried to verify.

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

One of the posters here (Maybe SasaS or Spy Bee or Strontium Dog) mentioned that some of the reported number of deaths from Covid were greatly exaggerated because, it included those who died *with* Covid as opposed to from, therefore to get the real picture of how bad the pandemic is you need to take the that out. Since then I’ve always tried to verify.

I can assure that any numbers reported are not greater than the actual death toll. Everything points to deaths being under reported.

The idea that some geezer with an acknowledged pre existing condition (which by definition would have been known for a period of time) happened to catch the virus and coincidentally carked it at the same time having nothing to do with the virus as a catalyst seems far fetched, to me at least.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Where is that figure from? Worldometer says 330,000, which is just under 1.5% of the total deaths in the world this year.

Yeah I mis-read a CNN headline. Its infected not died. My mistake sorry. I wasn't thinking straight, can't even believe I didn't realise when I typed it. 

Mind you, I reckon its well over the reported figure. 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Would it not be fair to say that Covid is a factor in all of them?