Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 615 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Who are Moderna, they say their vaccine works like a peach, on people.

Not sure who they are, but I posted a NYT article about their vaccine, above. 

 

It looks promising, although it's only been tested on 8 people. They're planning on accelerating the testing over the coming months and hope to be testing in the "thousands" by July. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Anubis said:


Shameless.

Agreed, but I do think the WHO is deserving of criticism. Far too late declaring it a pandemic and poor mask advice amongst other things, in my opinion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Agreed, but I do think the WHO is deserving of criticism. Far too late declaring it a pandemic and poor mask advice amongst other things, in my opinion.  

He was researching for a Book! 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found out I've been made redundant today. I work on cruise ships and since the industry in general has no clue when it's going to be back in service, they've let a metric ton of the workforce go to cut their losses. 

 

Quite conflicted because after 2 years of being away I was already considering going back to living and working on land. But it's a kick in the mouth to lose that safety net and be forced to say goodbye (for now) to a lot of good friends from all over the world. 

 

Oh well, it is what it is.

 

 

Made sure to whack this on as well

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ken Robber said:

Found out I've been made redundant today. I work on cruise ships and since the industry in general has no clue when it's going to be back in service, they've let a metric ton of the workforce go to cut their losses. 

 

Quite conflicted because after 2 years of being away I was already considering going back to living and working on land. But it's a kick in the mouth to lose that safety net and be forced to say goodbye (for now) to a lot of good friends from all over the world. 

 

Oh well, it is what it is.

 

 

Made sure to whack this on as well

Sorry to hear that, her daughter works for Carnival in Southampton and is expecting the same. 

I have a couple of mates in Liverpool, one a chef, the other a steward, well the chef lives in Latvia now but I can't make out how it works for those at sea, the steward went back to sea about the same time the Lockdown started I think, wouldn't of that seemed a bit dodgy joining a ship in case of infecting others? They're not Liners , and the other way round when taking leave, though I suppose they are pretty much away from it at sea? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Sorry to hear that, her daughter works for Carnival in Southampton and is expecting the same. 

I have a couple of mates in Liverpool, one a chef, the other a steward, well the chef lives in Latvia now but I can't make out how it works for those at sea, the steward went back to sea about the same time the Lockdown started I think, wouldn't of that seemed a bit dodgy joining a ship in case of infecting others? They're not Liners , and the other way round when taking leave, though I suppose they are pretty much away from it at sea? 

Carnivals the same company I work for. Might actually know her if she's from Southampton because brits usually make up the entertainment and guest services staff. 

 

Can't speak for other companies but they're basically keeping staff to the absolute minimum until they're allowed to sail again. 

 

I was quarantined on my last ship until they were able to get me a flight home in late March. Stewards were still working as normal like, just on far less hours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yes. Lulworth Cove and all that area is beautiful. 

Jurassic coast-tactic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ken Robber said:

Carnivals the same company I work for. Might actually know her if she's from Southampton because brits usually make up the entertainment and guest services staff. 

 

Can't speak for other companies but they're basically keeping staff to the absolute minimum until they're allowed to sail again. 

 

I was quarantined on my last ship until they were able to get me a flight home in late March. Stewards were still working as normal like, just on far less hours

I think she does have something to do with that side of things, Taryn her name and does live here, a few ships tied up here, I live about 5 minutes from Carnivals office. 

The mate does 4 weeks on and 4 off and I wondered why there was Stewards on whatever ship there on, obviously the Chef etc, and a mate said all officers have Stewards, I see some of them now and again as they  come into the Juniper Berry when they're in to see me and a bevvy, you can see the pub from the Carnival building. 

Anyway I hope its OK for her as I've not heard anything yet, and hope you get fixed up soon. You might even know a mate or two as they've been on the Liners  

not so long ago, one was a ship that took passengers to Antarctica from Montevideo, about 3 years ago. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Jurassic coast-tactic.

Yes it's nice down there, we done some Scaffolding on Lulworth Castle. 

My mate and his bird always go to Muddiford for a day's break which I think is down that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TK421 said:

Agreed, but I do think the WHO is deserving of criticism. Far too late declaring it a pandemic and poor mask advice amongst other things, in my opinion.  

Behave. You were the biggest WHO fanboy on the forum until you didn’t like their mask advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Behave. You were the biggest WHO fanboy on the forum until you didn’t like their mask advice.

I don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The vaccine was shown to reduce symptoms and prevent pneumonia in the monkeys despite them having been blasted with a much higher dose of the virus than is usual. It doesn't look like it prevents infection but it's not useless. 

Maybe I misunderstand vaccines, but generally isn't that how they work? Nothing can prevent you from catching a virus, but the vaccine provides your immune system with the tools to be able to see the virus off before you as much as get symptoms normally or if you do get symptoms, it's why they're pretty mild? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×