You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The bbc will dampen any adverse news for him, he can do no wrong, politics ihas become like showbiz, any publicity is good publicity, Johnson, Farage, Jess Phillip's, Trump  etc  all understand the fickle nature of the public and know how it spins out. As long as they constantly are in the public gaze idiotd will relate to their bullshit, the bbc had Edwina Currie on their breakfast show last week talking shit about the virus .A lot of people seem to want to be spoonfed,   if its slightly controversial even better, it makes then seem risky and unconventional when in reality it's just makes them an ignorant bore.

Jess Philips lumped in with those cunts.  Jesus Christ you are mental. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Bizarre article- there were 89 cases yesterday (https://coronavstats.co.uk/england), which is an absolute minimum as it's only ones who've been identified through testing. It also says at the peak, there were 230K infections per day in London, when the figure for the entire UK is only 233K in total.

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Bizarre article- there were 89 cases yesterday (https://coronavstats.co.uk/england), which is an absolute minimum as it's only ones who've been identified through testing. It also says at the peak, there were 230K infections per day in London, when the figure for the entire UK is only 233K in total.

That's a brilliant website.

Yeah, based on the info on coronavstats, it is a weird article indeed.

EDIT: It is being reported widely - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/14/london-has-just-24-new-coronavirus-cases-day/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1589489312

25 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's a paper by professional scientists; I mean, obviously it doesn't compare with deranged conspiracy theories about the virus being manmade so far as reliability is concerned, but one feels it adds something to the debate. 

It's a poorly reasoned (conclusions reaching far beyond premises) opinion piece by two scientists. As opposed to a scientific paper (good, bad, or indifferent).

A step up from most conspiracy theories, granted...

6 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Ah, they are suggesting that 24 new infections are happening. Not that 24 people are testing positive.

Ah, I see. Hope they're right, although it begs the question as to why we couldn't have just carried on for another couple of weeks, completely squashed the disease in London, and reduced it to current London levels elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Ah, I see. Hope they're right, although it begs the question as to why we couldn't have just carried on for another couple of weeks, completely squashed the disease in London, and reduced it to current London levels elsewhere.

Well, there is quite a bit of evidence that suggests that the peak had been reached in London prior to lockdown. Who know, we'll learn a lot on the next couple of weeks.

7 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Well, there is quite a bit of evidence that suggests that the peak had been reached in London prior to lockdown. Who know, we'll learn a lot on the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, the infection rate still looks stubbornly high though. It's running in the low 3000s now and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a bump after this last week. I'm in the Forth Valley region in Scotland, and we had no new cases for several days, and I think only about 10 in the entire week which is great, but social distancing and strict adherence to lockdown has noticeably collapsed since last week- lots more cars on the roads, kids in groups etc.

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, the infection rate still looks stubbornly high though. It's running in the low 3000s now and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a bump after this last week. I'm in the Forth Valley region in Scotland, and we had no new cases for several days, and I think only about 10 in the entire week which is great, but social distancing and strict adherence to lockdown has noticeably collapsed since last week- lots more cars on the roads, kids in groups etc.

Yeah, outside of London the infection rate is probably still relatively low, which is the negative. The positive is that we don't cram onto buses and trains quite the way they do down there and we don't live on top of each other to the same extent and with the same population.

If you roll this out, there is still a lot of social distancing (or deaths) to come, but it is more positive than things have looked for a while.

3 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

I heard on the news this morning that the R rate for London is down to 0.4%. If this doesn't shoot up in the next two weeks, either the virus is becoming less contagious or we have a level of herd immunity in the capital. I have heard is suggested that some people are just immune to it anyway, as in no cohort anywhere has everyone (or even a large majority) of people been infected.

Here's hoping!

It could be all manner of reasons. People have suggested sun/vit D help and April was the sunniest on record in the UK. 

10 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It could be all manner of reasons. People have suggested sun/vit D help and April was the sunniest on record in the UK. 

The sun in Mexico and Brazil doesn't seem to be helping much. You're right though, there are many variables, I just stated the most likely two.

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

ONS figures reveal that 12,500 people (approx) have died from coronavirus in UK care homes. 

That's a jaw dropping figure. 

You have to think outside of the box think how much you'll save the NHS and in pension payments it's a win win for the Tories 

• Upvote 1