You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

14k likes and counting. Girlfriend of millionaire Brexit party chairman Richard Tice. Who’d have thought all these rich people who don’t have to work would be keen to use teachers as guinea pigs. Expect to see a lot more of this from the more rabid brexiteers, they’ve got their new message they want to push.

It would appear teachers are the new bad guys on right wing Twitter. Complete ignorance of the fact many have either been in the classroom looking after the children of key workers, or preparing work each day to send to their pupils - not to mention the ones who have still been trying to get a meal each day to vulnerable pupils. 

• Upvote 2

BBC being a tad duplicitous again? 

As the first reply states the figure given once again does not tell the whole story plus it's odd that all the days and weeks of testing failure,the target hasn't been hit once this month and scant mention from the beeb, then bingo, headline news.

Note Laura retweeted the nonsense. Johnson approval rating a huge 66% Cummings control continues to pay dividends.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Good old Tory divide and conquer distraction technique. Like when lollipop ladies' gold-plated pensions brought the country to its knees in 2008.

I don't have the vocabulary to describe what I think of that rag, it's owners and it's 'journalists'! Horrible contemptible shithouses!

Yours sincerely, a militant union representative

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

I don't have the vocabulary to describe what I think of that rag, it's owners and it's 'journalists'! Horrible contemptible shithouses!

Yours sincerely, a militant union representative

My sister's a secondary school teacher and due to an auto-immune condition is in the shielding group (she's had to be separated from my brother-in-law for the last two months). She's absolutely terrified of the push to re-open schools, they simply don't have the resources or space to keep themselves or kids safe. As she points out, the unions don't just make decisions ad hoc, they represent teachers. This from the Mail is dangerous and divisive and appears to be coming directly from Gavin Williamson, the fucking snake. They're not a newspaper, they're a propaganda sheet for the Tories.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

My sister's a secondary school teacher and due to an auto-immune condition is in the shielding group (she's had to be separated from my brother-in-law for the last two months). She's absolutely terrified of the push to re-open schools, they simply don't have the resources or space to keep themselves or kids safe. As she points out, the unions don't just make decisions ad hoc, they represent teachers. This from the Mail is dangerous and divisive and appears to be coming directly from Gavin Williamson, the fucking snake. They're not a newspaper, they're a propaganda sheet for the Tories.

My wife is a dinner lady / welfare assistant and has asthma and rheumatoid arthritis, and while not as high a risk as your sister, she's been advised by the head of school not to work at present. She's only worked one day in the lockdown and as there are so few children she's been told to stay home.

Now they've said she's probably back at work from 8 June. She's worried, and so am I! At least the school she works in are going to follow the advice on class sizes and face coverings whilst inside the school building!

This has the makings of a colossal fuck up!

12 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

My wife is a dinner lady / welfare assistant and has asthma and rheumatoid arthritis, and while not as high a risk as your sister, she's been advised by the head of school not to work at present. She's only worked one day in the lockdown and as there are so few children she's been told to stay home.

Now they've said she's probably back at work from 8 June. She's worried, and so am I! At least the school she works in are going to follow the advice on class sizes and face coverings whilst inside the school building!

This has the makings of a colossal fuck up!

The makings of one? It's been one ongoing colossal fuck up since February (ignoring the prehistory of this whole situation)...

43 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

BBC being a tad duplicitous again? 

As the first reply states the figure given once again does not tell the whole story plus it's odd that all the days and weeks of testing failure,the target hasn't been hit once this month and scant mention from the beeb, then bingo, headline news.

Note Laura retweeted the nonsense. Johnson approval rating a huge 66% Cummings control continues to pay dividends.

In the first 12 days of May the number of people tested for covid19 has been as follows-

This is a daily average of 63,132

I heard on the news this morning that the R rate for London is down to 0.4%. If this doesn't shoot up in the next two weeks, either the virus is becoming less contagious or we have a level of herd immunity in the capital. I have heard is suggested that some people are just immune to it anyway, as in no cohort anywhere has everyone (or even a large majority) of people been infected.

Here's hoping!

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

In the first 12 days of May the number of people tested for covid19 has been as follows-

This is a daily average of 63,132

I bet not one of the above figures made the top of bbc news., then bingo. It's a major reason for government popularity. The bbc are a government mouthpiece. 

I was actually hoping a humanitarian crisis that precluded kids from going to school might force a serious re-evaluation of the way we educate kids - this whole lazy, archaic idea of a competitive, ranking system deciding how kids progress to "success" in later life... unversity, careers.

Some of the emotionally, socially and practically inept people I've met with supposedly top notch academic educations - and in top career positions - absolutely boggles my mind at times.

But, like everything when this is over I suspect, we'll have learnt and probably changed nothing about education.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

As for Johnson’s popularity, let’s see how it holds up when we have to go into a second lockdown in a few months. A lot of people feel we are over the worst of it, a lockdown over the winter months will be depressing as fuck.

It will be fine because the spin will be pictures of people flouting the rules. The images of course will be in working class communities and not the lycra clad perverts cycling through richmond park or the gaggle of turbo meffs on westminster bridge. or the PM not wearing a facemask etc. 

"We told you to stay home, we told you to be alert - you didn't listen" 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

That's not a scientific paper.

It's a paper by professional scientists; I mean, obviously it doesn't compare with deranged conspiracy theories about the virus being manmade so far as reliability is concerned, but one feels it adds something to the debate. 

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

As for Johnson’s popularity, let’s see how it holds up when we have to go into a second lockdown in a few months. A lot of people feel we are over the worst of it, a lockdown over the winter months will be depressing as fuck.

The bbc will dampen any adverse news for him, he can do no wrong, politics ihas become like showbiz, any publicity is good publicity, Johnson, Farage, Jess Phillip's, Trump  etc  all understand the fickle nature of the public and know how it spins out. As long as they constantly are in the public gaze idiotd will relate to their bullshit, the bbc had Edwina Currie on their breakfast show last week talking shit about the virus .A lot of people seem to want to be spoonfed,   if its slightly controversial even better, it makes then seem risky and unconventional when in reality it's just makes them an ignorant bore.

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

I heard on the news this morning that the R rate for London is down to 0.4%. If this doesn't shoot up in the next two weeks, either the virus is becoming less contagious or we have a level of herd immunity in the capital. I have heard is suggested that some people are just immune to it anyway, as in no cohort anywhere has everyone (or even a large majority) of people been infected.

Here's hoping!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/londons-r-rate-now-lowest-in-country-as-city-records-24-new-coronavirus-cases-a-day-a4441216.html

Just 24 cases identified in London.