You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-vaccine-reasons-to-be-optimistic-137209

Why don’t we have a vaccine against other human coronaviruses? The emergence of Sars and Mers, in 2002 and 2012 respectively, were either quashed relatively quickly or affected small numbers of people. Despite the interest from keen virologists, there was no economic incentive to develop a vaccine for these diseases as they posed a small threat at the time. Virologists with an interest in coronaviruses were struggling to secure funding for their research.

In contrast, COVID-19 has caused huge disruption around the world. As a result, at least 90 vaccines are under development, with some already in human trials.

Here are some reasons to be optimistic. One, this virus can be cured. Unlike some viruses such as HIV that embed their genome in our own and make fresh copies of themselves after immune elimination, we know that SARS-CoV-2 is unable to persist in this way.

Two, most infected patients develop antibodies and there is evidence of virus-specific T cell responses. Although we don’t know if these responses are protective yet, these are precisely the responses that can lead to immunological memory, the cornerstone of vaccination. Vaccine products will be refined and enriched to induce more potent immune responses than natural infection.

Three, coronaviruses mutate slower than viruses such as influenza, and we know from Sars and Mers that antibodies can persist for at least one to two years following recovery. This is good news for an effective vaccine that may not require updating for quite some time.

There are more reasons to be upbeat. Scientists are testing several approaches so there is a higher probability of success, and pharmaceutical companies have been engaged early, scaling up production and working out logistics for distribution even before there is evidence the vaccine will work. This is worth the investment because resources can be quickly repurposed for the most promising vaccines following the first clinical trials.

A coronavirus vaccine is within our reach, and it is our best hope to stem transmission and generate herd immunity to protect the most vulnerable. Taking away its hosts for replication, we can eradicate this virus from the human population just as vaccination previously eradicated smallpox.

There's no vaccination for flu and how long has that been around? 

As that woman from WHO said, it's most likely we'll just have to live with   albeit with better treatments. 

2 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Just a bit more info for @JohnnyH

Some expert talking about vaccines on the radio said no vaccine has ever been found for any of the Covid viruses. 

I don't think that really means anything. The scientific community has never had a significant reason to develop a coronavirus vaccine till now. 

1 minute ago, easytoslip said:

There's no vaccination for flu and how long has that been around? 

As that woman from WHO said, it's most likely we'll just have to live with   albeit with better treatments. 

There's no flu vaccine? That's news to me. 

Jonathan Van Tam said "we now have a highly reliable antibody test" in reference to the Roche test.  If that turns out to be wrong will he aplogise? I doubt it. He provided no detail upon how the reliability of the test was established. We must take their word for it, but they're proven liars so we'll see what happens. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

There's no flu vaccine? That's news to me. 

That's what she said, saying that I get a flu jab and not had it for a few years but people still get it don't they? Jab or not, hence, as someone posted, the number of deaths caused by flu each year. 

Only going on what the Professor said. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Reference the News on that Antibody Test and it apparently being 100% correct during trials. How are other countries reporting this from our formurites across the globe? Nothing in the German News (unless they briefly covered it when the news first broke). In fact, the only thing I read on German News was about Roche (firm in Switzerland) joining the race to find an antibody test and this was back in April and again at the start of May. 

21 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Jonathan Van Tam said "we now have a highly reliable antibody test" in reference to the Roche test.  If that turns out to be wrong will he aplogise? I doubt it. He provided no detail upon how the reliability of the test was established. We must take their word for it, but they're proven liars so we'll see what happens. 

From this article- https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/13/public-health-england-approves-roche-test-for-coronavirus-antibodies

Roche’s test was approved at the start of May by the EU and by the Food and Drug Administration in the USA as being 99.8% specific for Covid-19 – so it is not confused by antibodies against other coronaviruses which cause colds – and 100% sensitive, so it will pick up any antibodies that are present. It will work on blood samples taken by a healthcare professional at least 14 days after the person developed Covid-19.

The Elecsys Anti-SARS-CoV-2 serology test is processed in laboratories using Roche analysers that hospitals already have. Roche says its fully automated systems can provide results in approximately 18 minutes for one single test, with a capability to do 300 tests an hour, depending on the analyser.

Prof John Newton, national coordinator of the UK coronavirus testing programme, told the Telegraph that experts at PHE’s Porton Down labs had evaluated the test and confirmed the 100% accuracy.

Looks legit.

18 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

That's what she said, saying that I get a flu jab and not had it for a few years but people still get it don't they? Jab or not, hence, as someone posted, the number of deaths caused by flu each year. 

Only going on what the Professor said. 

I think the flu can mutate so they don't have a vaccine for every single strain.

I was only just reading an article on this vaccine Oxford University are trialling. The talk is so misleading. On the one hand the professor in charge sounds super confident, but then he says that they obviously can't infect the actual Guinea pig with covid 19 because they don't have a cure, so he admits himself the Guinea pigs may not even catch the virus out in the general public so they may never know if they've been infected or are immune...... 

As for those antibody tests. Is it true you have to be tested within 2-3 weeks of your symptoms, so if you've had months ago it can't tell you whether you had it or not. 

Not exactly a game changer then is it

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chrisbonnie said:

As for those antibody tests. Is it true you have to be tested within 2-3 weeks of your symptoms, so if you've had months ago it can't tell you whether you had it or not. 

Other way round I think, you have to have had symptoms at least 14 days before the test.

9 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It does look legit but I have concerns over what EU approval and in particular CE authentication means in relation to coronavirus.  The EU's guidance on this, which remains unchanged since 15th April, indicates that inaccuracies in testing remain.

The JRC analysis indicates, however, that the current tests are not accompanied by sufficient proof of evidence regarding their performance characteristics.

Regarding the tests that detect antibodies, the JRC study concludes that the comparison of these tests is not currently possible because proper validation and standardisation of the methods targeting antibodies is almost completely missing.

https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/news/coronavirus-commission-issues-guidelines-testing

30 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I think the flu can mutate so they don't have a vaccine for every single strain.

I was only just reading an article on this vaccine Oxford University are trialling. The talk is so misleading. On the one hand the professor in charge sounds super confident, but then he says that they obviously can't infect the actual Guinea pig with covid 19 because they don't have a cure, so he admits himself the Guinea pigs may not even catch the virus out in the general public so they may never know if they've been infected or are immune...... 

There's that many ifs, buts and maybes, though I think it is here to stay and no doubt other new ghastly infections that might arise. Just hoping this the kick up the arse for those in whatever Government, and the general public, if not we're doomed. 

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Other way round I think, you have to have had symptoms at least 14 days before the test.

Isn't that what I said? 

Either way, still meaningless for anybody that thinks they had the virus at some stage in the past 5 months. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

This guys twitter is interesting especially the video on Boris talking about the economic impact of corona virus.

https://mobile.twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1260665437790130177

https://mobile.twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1252744024991072256

Wow. A guy with over 30k followers tweeted this 3 hours ago:

1 reply, 8 retweets and 11 likes???? Hmmmmm..... Nothing dodgy happening there then. Nope. 

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

This guys twitter is interesting especially the video on Boris talking about the economic impact of corona virus.

https://mobile.twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1260665437790130177

https://mobile.twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/status/1252744024991072256

That doesn't paint a good picture at all. 

It nearly sounds like genocide of the elderly doesn't it. 

4 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Isn't that what I said? 

Either way, still meaningless for anybody that thinks they had the virus at some stage in the past 5 months. 

No sorry- the test will only work from 14 days after you've started showing symptoms, presumably the body takes that long to start creating antibodies in sufficient quantities to be detected. As long as you still have antibodies present- and hopefully that's the case for several months, if not years- then the test will be positive.

31 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Not quite. It’s not Britain First running this particular conspiracy. It’s ex-Kippers. 

https://scramnews.com/britain-first-behind-uk-freedom-movement-anti-lockdown-events/

I hate these people. I get ‘freedom of speech’ and all that blah, blah but surely there should be an err on the side of caution mentality at the moment that trumps the need for public protest. 

There’s also a massive amount of selfishness in a need to actively do what they want at the expense of, potentially, millions of others who have a need to stay alive.

Even if the minute possibility that they’re right comes to pass, I’ll still hate them because of their recklessness and their pursuit of a ‘freedom’ that could have cost (will cost in the real world) many others theirs. 

In short, I won’t be attending.