You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Quick question as I can't find the answer anywhere, but are any of the countries coming out of lockdown even attempting a track/trace/isolate system or have they not bothered? 

Ze Germans have been mad for it throughout this crisis.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/germany-covid-19-masterclass-testing-tracing-uk

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Quick question as I can't find the answer anywhere, but are any of the countries coming out of lockdown even attempting a track/trace/isolate system or have they not bothered? 

South Korea and Germany yes, not sure about the rest.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-michael-levitt-china-italy-a9422986.html

A Nobel Prize winning biology professor has provided a bit of good news amidst the coronavirus gloom; the US may see a downturn in new cases sooner than some models have predicted.

Michael Levitt, a Stanford University biology professor and a 2013 Nobel Prize winner in chemistry, said his models predict the virus is not likely to dwindle on for months or years and – most importantly – is not likely to cause millions of deaths.

Mr Levitt previously predicted – correctly – when China would experience and endure the worst of its coronavirus crisis.

Speaking with the LA Times, Mr Levitt said he wasn’t prepared to offer a specific date for the end of the coronavirus crisis in America, but said that there are “clear signs of slowed growth”.

“What we need is to control the panic … we’re going to be fine,” he said.

Mr Levitt said that social distancing measures have been helpful in reducing the virus’ ability to spread rapidly.

He suggested that the higher percentage of elderly people in Italy paired with the country’s vibrant social culture resulted in the explosion of cases in that country.

“Furthermore, Italian culture is very warm and Italians have a very rich social life. For these reasons, it is important to keep people apart and prevent sick people from coming into contact with healthy people,” he said.

That was his initial concern with the United States.

“Currently, I am most worried about the US. It must isolate as many people as possible to buy time for preparations. Otherwise, it can end up in a situation where 20,000 infected people will descend on the nearest hospital at the same time and the healthcare system will collapse,” he said.

Mr Levitt said that while isolating was an important step to fighting viral spread, he also believes a certain segment of the population may be naturally immune to the disease.

“We know China was under almost complete quarantine, people only left home to do crucial shopping and avoided contact with others. In Wuhan, which had the highest number of infection cases in the Hubei province, everyone had a chance of getting infected, but only 3 percent caught it,” he said. “Even on the Diamond Princess [the quarantined cruise ship] the infection rate did not top 20 percent.”

He said those numbers suggest that some people simply are immune or especially resistant to the virus.

Mr Levitt’s predictions stand in contrast to those that suggest we may be dealing with the coronavirus for months or even years.

11 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-michael-levitt-china-italy-a9422986.html

A Nobel Prize winning biology professor has provided a bit of good news amidst the coronavirus gloom; the US may see a downturn in new cases sooner than some models have predicted.

Dated the 24th of March. Really hasn't aged well...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’d imagine it’s an absolutely huge number of people, especially when you consider that obesity is also thought to be one of said health issues. This forum alone is completely heaving with retards and fat bastards. 

7 million people of working age with an underlying health issue according to an article I read on The Guardian earlier, plus hundreds of thousands of people with conditions like high blood pressure without even being aware they have it.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

7 million people of working age with an underlying health issue according to an article I read on The Guardian earlier, plus hundreds of thousands of people with conditions like high blood pressure without even being aware they have it.

It does always surprise me how fucking decrepit you lot are.  The ailments thread is like a game of Top Trumps. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

There are underlying health issues and underlying health issues though. The list of those considered to be a significant multiplying factor of risk has been reduced massively. The number of fatties would be my main concern. There is a number of them around.

6 hours ago, Stickman said:

Hardly surprising 

https://mobile.twitter.com/hancocktom

Interesting quote in the Economist: Britain's public broadcaster, the BBC, has decided to sacrifice some usual "journalistic values" in the interests of 'the nation'

Needless to say, the idea mentioned in that quote is a standard justification offered by Chinese state media for its journalistic practice

EXTj58xVAAISin-?format=jpg&name=large

And they've hidden their sacrifice of journalistic values so well...

The tory cunts have put the housing secretary out for the briefing because Boris got torn apart in PMQ's, Raab still hasn't got over his robot head malfunctioning after Starmer had him off last week and Hancock is busy finding new ways to lie about the governments mass murder of front-line workers and the working class. 

Kuntberg asks a question about care homes and what is the government doing about it. (keeping up appearances) 

Jenrick reads the answer from a script in-front of him.

He is doing it again now. He isn't even hiding that he is reading prompts. He knew what he was getting asked. 

I hope we get fucking invaded and these cunts get tortured to death. I would genuinely allow myself to get tortured to death provided the world got rid of these fucking horrible evil lying greedy cunts 

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

Has that woman ever thought of getting other members of the household to help her clean. She shouldn't have to do everything.

Yep. That was her response. Front line workers dying. Thats her reply.