You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

32 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Er surely a person in an open air park getting fresh air and maintaining a safe social distance is a very low risk to themselves and others, now a packed bus, tube, office, plane or any confined space is probably a different matter.

As for Europe, the response from the oh so saintly answer to all gods problems eu has once again left a lot to be desired.

We left 'Europe', and one of the chief complaints was 'them' interfering. What's your beef now?

6 hours ago, Mudface said:

We left 'Europe', and one of the chief complaints was 'them' interfering. What's your beef now?

A. We haven't left Europe yet. 

B. I was replying to chip buttys ve faux celebration quote and the general love sick teenager act declaring undying love for all things eu. 

Its ,"Europe day today, whatever the fuck that is, I believe its something to do with the eu being set up or some other nonsense.  I havnt much truck with petty nationalist jingoism but theres more merit in people having a few drinks to celebrate the end of a world war than this Europe day guff.

The eu official blag of bollocks on Europe day and how great they have been in tackling the coronavirus crisis.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/symbols/europe-day_en

Hate to break the news (especially on Europe day) but as with every problem or crisis the eu charlatans have been found wanting again,  the European chief coronavirus scientist has resigned,  who would have thought it  they are almost as bad as us.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/10/europe/eu-bungled-coronavirus-response-analysis-intl/index.html

As the poor in Greece found out Capitalists will be capitalists 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/19/european-union-italy-unity-failure-debt-germany-netherlands

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

B. I was replying to chip buttys ve faux celebration quote and the general love sick teenager act declaring undying love for all things eu. 

Its ,"Europe day today, whatever the fuck that is, I believe its something to do with the eu being set up or some other nonsense.  I havnt much truck with petty nationalist jingoism but theres more merit in people having a few drinks to celebrate the end of a world war than this Europe day guff.

The eu official blag of bollocks on Europe day and how great they have been in tackling the coronavirus crisis.

Hate to break the news (especially on Europe day) but as with every problem or crisis the eu charlatans have been found wanting again,  the European chief coronavirus scientist has resigned,  who would have thought it  they are almost as bad as us.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/10/europe/eu-bungled-coronavirus-response-analysis-intl/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/19/european-union-italy-unity-failure-debt-germany-netherlands

Boring!

ZZZZZZ!

Take it to the EU thread. This is the Coronavirus thread, not the Gnasher "dribble wibble" one.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Boring!

ZZZZZZ!

Take it to the EU thread. This is the Coronavirus thread, not the Gnasher "dribble wibble" one.

Why didn't you say that to posters above who originally brought their love of all things eu into the thread?  Wouldn't have anything to do with you agreeing with them by any chance?

13 hours ago, ))) said:

This been posted yet?

Whoever posted it before me started this conga.

I havnt really got an issue with them endangering themselves or other people, I think as long as they distance themselves the dangers are slim. I would however gladly participate in a bit of world war 2 reenactment and  machine gun the lot of them dead for making a total cunt of themselves.

The new slogan doesn’t need to mean anything. It just replaces the more emotive slogan of save the NHS with something more deliberately vague, so it makes it easier to allay fears by relaxing lockdown.

Marr is like a particularly drab episode of the one show.

Its dereliction of duty at this point and needs to be held to account.

Appalling.  

Edit: Just putting this out that I think Matt’s been briefed about tonight and is asking leading questions to ‘lay the groundwork’ psychologically. So, I think regional variations in dates of ‘lockdown’ being lifted will be front and centre of Alexander’s moment in the sun tonight.

• Upvote 1

The stay alert thing is just another way of devolving responsibly to you and me. If the r goes up that's your fault because you didn't stay alert.

Casting aside responsibility runs through Johnson from balls to bones, it's his defining quality but it's not really what you want from a leader during a global pandemic. 

Scary times, and not necessarily because of the virus.

Guest Pistonbroke

South Korea imposing new restrictions and warning of a second wave is a bit worrying, especially as they have seen a spike in new cases in the leisure district. Obviously Governments elsewhere will have prior warning should a second wave indeed happen, but with restrictions being eased it will mean didly shit due to the incubation period. 

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

South Korea imposing new restrictions and warning of a second wave is a bit worrying, especially as they have seen a spike in new cases in the leisure district. Obviously Governments elsewhere will have prior warning should a second wave indeed happen, but with restrictions being eased it will mean didly shit due to the incubation period. 

This is the thing though, the virus can't be stopped, that doesn't make it a world ending scenario, it just means we have to learn to live with it for the time being the way we would with any other virus, and have done for centuries.

The whole message of lockdown has been lost IMO. It's not about stopping people getting sick, it's about stopping them all getting sick in the same week and hospitals having to turn folks away.

A lot don't seem to get that though, they seem under the impression the plan is to stay indoors as much as possible, indefinitely, until..something. And that if you're not down with that plan it's because you prefer money to people. 

• Upvote 3

Just read that the Robert Koch Institute has said the R0 value has gone up to 1.1 already in Germany. That's pretty horrendous given their far more cautious approach. Dread to think what'll happen here- the figures last week for new cases and deaths were 7-8 times the German totals.

New infections on rise in Germany
New coronavirus infections are accelerating again in Germany just days after its leaders loosened social restrictions, raising concerns that the pandemic could once again slip out of control.

The Robert Koch Institute for disease control said in a daily bulletin the number of people each sick person now infects – known as the reproduction rate, or R – had risen to 1.1.

Chancellor Angela Merkel bowed to pressure from leaders of Germany’s 16 federal states to restart social life and revive the economy, announced on Wednesday measures that included more shop openings and a gradual return to school.

At the same time, she launched an “emergency brake” to allow for the reimposition of restrictions if infections pick up again.

Karl Lauterbach, a Social Democrat lawmaker and professor of epidemiology, warned that the new coronavirus could start spreading again quickly after seeing large crowds out and about on Saturday in his home city of Cologne.

“It has to be expected that the R rate will go over 1 and we will return to exponential growth,” Lauterbach said in a tweet. “The loosening measures were far too poorly prepared.”

The Robert Koch Institute said on Sunday the confirmed number of new coronavirus cases had increased by a daily 667 to 169,218, while the daily death toll had risen by 26 to 7,395.

“It is too early to infer whether the number of new infections will continue to decrease as in the past weeks or increase again,” the institute said in a separate daily bulletin issued on Saturday evening.

It cautioned that the R figure was subject to statistical uncertainty, adding: “The increase of the reproduction number R necessitates a close monitoring of the situation.”

Germany has the sixth-largest Covid-19 caseload in Europe but has managed to contain fatalities from the highly infectious respiratory disease thanks to widespread and early testing and a healthcare system that is well-run and well-funded.

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

The point of Europe Day is to celebrate the working together of nations that has prevented more repeats of the wars that devastated the continent in the early 20th century and to remind people that they need to cooperate to stop it happening again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PestiRed said:

The point of Europe Day is to celebrate the working together of nations that has prevented more repeats of the wars that devastated the continent in the early 20th century and to remind people that they need to cooperate to stop it happening again. 

Bit wanky, isn't it? We need more special days that celebrate us kicking the shit out of the forrins.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Section_31 said:

This is the thing though, the virus can't be stopped, that doesn't make it a world ending scenario, it just means we have to learn to live with it for the time being the way we would with any other virus, and have done for centuries.

The whole message of lockdown has been lost IMO. It's not about stopping people getting sick, it's about stopping them all getting sick in the same week and hospitals having to turn folks away.

A lot don't seem to get that though, they seem under the impression the plan is to stay indoors as much as possible, indefinitely, until..something. And that if you're not down with that plan it's because you prefer money to people. 

I get all that, Sec. Do you trust people to not to abuse the easing of restrictions? I personally don't and I happen to live in a country that have handled things pretty well so far, still an awful lot of idiots who seem to think because they are not in a danger group they can do what they want and fuck everyone else who is. It's been said loads, but lots of Asian countries have had years of preparation for such a situation and tend to follow the rules a tadge better than us in the western world. 

Scotland and Wales disagree with the new [intentionally] meaningless and vague slogan apparently.  If it's at all possible they should say they are closing their borders to the English, or at least threaten it, make a massive deal of this.