You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

14 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I reckon this coronavirus might have been knocking round for much longer than people think...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=313863729597439&id=100029214424988

So its all Ron Dixons fault. Selling Cornovirus from Moby Dick? Im not fucking surprised. One bit. 

Six hours old so apologies if already posted. Six hours is a long time though in these Covid days, so it may have already been poo pooed by now.

Coronavirus: New antibody test 'with 99 per cent accuracy' approved for use across Europe

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-antibody-test-approval-news-europe-uk-accuracy-abbot-a9490026.html

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Six hours old so apologies if already posted. Six hours is a long time though in these Covid days, so it may have already been poo pooed by now.

Coronavirus: New antibody test 'with 99 per cent accuracy' approved for use across Europe

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-antibody-test-approval-news-europe-uk-accuracy-abbot-a9490026.html

I think the bloke who wrote the article has died of Corona, been revealed as a big Pharma shill

and guilty of writing an article for Oxford press in 1982. Whilst the lab has been burnt down as it has a 5G phone mast outside.  Keep up.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

This bit peaked my interest:-

The company’s diagnostic test has been given a CE mark showing it complies with EU safety rules...

"Complies with EU safety rules", I'm not sure what that means but the following snippet from the EU website in relation to coronavirus tests doesn't inspire much confidence:-

The JRC analysis indicates, however, that the current tests are not accompanied by sufficient proof of evidence regarding their performance characteristics.

Regarding the tests that detect antibodies, the JRC study concludes that the comparison of these tests is not currently possible because proper validation and standardisation of the methods targeting antibodies is almost completely missing. 

https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/news/coronavirus-commission-issues-guidelines-testing

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

This bit peaked my interest:-

The company’s diagnostic test has been given a CE mark showing it complies with EU safety rules...

"Complies with EU safety rules", I'm not sure what that means but the following snippet from the EU website in relation to coronavirus tests doesn't inspire much confidence:-

The JRC analysis indicates, however, that the current tests are not accompanied by sufficient proof of evidence regarding their performance characteristics.

Regarding the tests that detect antibodies, the JRC study concludes that the comparison of these tests is not currently possible because proper validation and standardisation of the methods targeting antibodies is almost completely missing. 

https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/news/coronavirus-commission-issues-guidelines-testing

Peaked indeed 

‘not sure what that means’. No shit. 

More on antibody tests. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/congress-sounds-alarm-over-inaccurate-antibody-tests-n1194876

But in most parts of the U.S., the percentage of all people who have contracted the coronavirus is assumed to remain in the single digits. That means that if a test is producing false positives for 10 percent of people who take it, the test is actually producing more false positives than true positives.

Interesting read on the "they would have died anyway" thing. 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-warning-as-major-study-finds-most-elderly-victims-would-not-have-died-otherwise-11980675

Death rates were high among elderly patients, and most of those who did not survive were admitted to hospital with symptoms of COVID-19 and "would not have died otherwise"

8 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Well, I presume because GP surgeries are basically shut to stop the spread of infection & people are ignoring potential cancer symptoms. It's not for me to provide reasons why, the facts speak for themselves.

What facts, where are the facts? We have lots of anecdotes. We k is the system is failing, has been failing for a decade, is it being exacerbated? Mos Def

what is the answer? Who gets to choose which lives are more important? 

7 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Not in a lot of places/on a lot of occasions. I work in healthcare, so does my missus and my sister, and doctor's appointments are like rocking horse shit. Urgent suspected cancer referrals are down 75%. Also cancer treatments are not happening, routine scans are not happening. 

See the whole I work in health care when you post is an attempt to add weight to your argument, but it’s bollocks really if you work in sales as a supplier to comment upon medical matters.

i work in security for a bank, I can twat on about cyber security and staying safe online, don’t take banking advice from me, I’d be talking bollocks as much as the next fella.

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Hold up -- you are in health care and you do not understand the astronomical odds of multiple tests being an anomaly? 

What is your take on the accuracy of current testing? Even if it was 80% the odds of being tested a half dozen times and have them all be wrong is infinitesimal. 

Hi Howie I’m in banking, buy silver nuggets they are about to go big.

7 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm not stressed about it now, but that's probably because of my own ignorance. I'm on 3 month check ups since they said there's no sign of the disease last year. I feel well, so it doesn't feel a problem, but for sure there's a reason they're supposed to check every 3 months and me feeling well is probably meaningless! The big issue I have at the moment to be honest is the poor fuckers at the start of all this. You're not well and they need to diagnose you. That is such a difficult and stressful time of life and every day counts - throughout the country the continually fail to meet the cancer deadlines for diagnosis and treatment in normal times because of how these Tory twats have run down the nhs, that must be just completely thrown out of the window right now. 

Good to hear you are through the most of it.

as you say the current environment can only increase the stress on the newly diagnosed and those awaiting with the home confinement and any other familial worries they may have due to the impact of Covid.

30 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Cryptocurrency has been absolutely booming for the last couple of days. The £100 I put in had dropped as low as £55 but it’s rocketed up and I’m currently sitting on a profit of £1.67. I know it’s wrong to be profiting out of the current situation but it’s just such a thrill. 

£1.67

Capitalist pig.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Cryptocurrency has been absolutely booming for the last couple of days. The £100 I put in had dropped as low as £55 but it’s rocketed up and I’m currently sitting on a profit of £1.67. I know it’s wrong to be profiting out of the current situation but it’s just such a thrill. 

£1.67

Best you're kicking yourself. If you had invested £200 you would be sitting on £3.34.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

£1.67

Are you sure the decimal point is right there fella?

• Like 1

Here is a positive story. The US is doing great and will be rocking by July.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/29/politics/jared-kushner-coronavirus-success-story/index.html

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump's senior adviser and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, praised the administration's response to the coronavirus pandemic as a "great success story" on Wednesday -- less than a day after the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States topped 1 million. 

Kushner painted a rosy picture for "Fox and Friends" Wednesday morning, saying that "the federal government rose to the challenge and this is a great success story and I think that that's really what needs to be told."
Kushner also predicted that things will be "rocking" by July.
"May will be a transition month ... I think you will see by June, a lot of the country should be back to normal, and the hope is that by July the country is really rocking again," he said.

9 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

£1.67

8 hours ago, SasaS said:

I own 150 pounds worth of Amazon. Me and Jeff did well on the recent market recovery.

The TLWrs outside looked from Turdseye to SasaS, and from SasaS to Turdseye, and from Turdseys to SasaS again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I could be being a bit dense here, but isn't that a death rate of 7%? I'm sure Spy Bee was saying it's 0.05%. Where's the discrepancy?

It was 0.5% he said, before we get into another endless discussion about how to express percentages...

It's 7% worldwide, but that's only based on confirmed cases, i.e. people who've had a test. As we don't know for sure how many people have had it and can't even be sure the death figures are correct, we can't give a definitive figure yet, other than 'it's likely to be less than 7%'.