You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Pidge said:

The modelling you keep citing was used to reflect the potential impact that a lockdown would have (going from around 500k to 20k). There is absolutely nothing, at all, to suggest that any of these people have lobbied for or against the use of masks.

I didn't suggest there was?  I just commented that I think there is a sound scientific basis for using them, contrary to Dr Jenny Harries who claims that the science is "weak" on this point. 

I would like to see a broader and consensus based approach if the science is "being followed", not a narrow approach based on modelling which has proven to be dubious at best, at utmost best. 

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

I'm allowed some exercise.  It's very quiet, nobody around hence the deer checking out the astro turf. 

So you’re driving somewhere to take the exercise? 

You bring great shame upon the wonderful people of Milton Keynes. Someone should out you on Facebook for ignoring the lockdown rules. 

34 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Going to cricket nets is essential travel now, is it? Disgusting behaviour. 

If you look closely, you can spot his reflection on the left side of the picture, if you enhance it, he is clearly not wearing a mask either.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, redinblack62 said:

I dont do negging but I couldnt let that go. Im supposed to say sorry here but im not shes utterly dreadful and you should be ashamed

I know, she's a right biffer from the neck down. It'd be like fucking a wardrobe with a smug head on top.

20 hours ago, skaro said:

You shouldn't have admitted that, Cev - I thought it was all part of a pro-Nordic, intellectual put-down of antipodean Slavs.

Stream of consciousness with me john, I think it, type it, hence so much bollocks!

14 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Recorded COVID19 deaths in March was 1789.

Official deaths in March’19 was 44,946.

Official deaths in March’20 is 49,723.

Obviously won’t work out exactly, but I’d like to know these extra 3k deaths came from.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/monthlyfiguresondeathsregisteredbyareaofusualresidence

Comparing 2 single years won’t show much, néeds more yearly data to give an idea on anything - 2019 could have been particularly low.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cochyn said:

And follow what, horoscopes? From my (admittedly limited) understanding of the science, every country's science community is feeling its way in the dark here. The link I posted a few pages back has the most recent data sets make for pretty harrowing reading. You may not like what you're seeing, naturally.  But 'misleading' figures pretty much comes down to the inherent variables in statistical models. Science isn't to blame here (we'd be doubly fucked without it). It's a totally new virus that we still know alarmingly little about.  

Send in our three knowledge powerhouses: stronts, spybee and Sasas.

6 hours ago, cochyn said:

Right so it's government policy rather than the science that irks? That's understandable. If anything we're seeing mantra politics for all it's badness - a lack of forthright honesty from the Tories in a time of crisis, coupled with muddled policy direction delivered by largely unfeeling, incompetent divs (Sunak aside).

For what it's worth I genuinely think this government have peered into the abyss, completely shat themselves and ran around chanting "it'll be fine - we have a plan somewhere". When it most manifestly won't be 'fine': As they put the plan on a shelf to gather dust and went about getting Brexit 'done'. I hope I'm wrong, but the latest science tells us this wont be over for a very long time - if at all.

If anything now to government need to drop the act, front up and tell the people what needs to be said so society can prepare itself and have the necessary means to adjust and help those in need. Totally agree with your earlier calls for a government of national unity. These cunts playing party politics just doesn't wash. We need the best people in the best positions. Now.

Can you imagine world war kicking off with the absolute fucking imbeciles leading now.

whoops apocalypse.

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Can you imagine world war kicking off with the absolute fucking imbeciles leading now.

whoops apocalypse.

It goes much deeper than that mate. Those leading now are only in that position because of the utter self centred bell ends who have put them there. Those people who are only interested in what is best for themselves and not for the bigger picture. The same people who'll be the first to cry when they themselves are affected. You see it now with this virus. The poor little darlings aren't happy because they can't spend their money on the things that make them happy, things which aren't that important when the World is faced with a pandemic with no solution in place. Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and realise that mankind is on a one way street to destruction because of these cunts, just a matter of time. Us old bastards have had a decent knock, but the younger generation deserve better. 

2 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

It goes much deeper than that mate. Those leading now are only in that position because of the utter self centred bell ends who have put them there. Those people who are only interested in what is best for themselves and not for the bigger picture. The same people who'll be the first to cry when they themselves are affected. You see it now with this virus. The poor little darlings aren't happy because they can't spend their money on the things that make them happy, things which aren't that important when the World is faced with a pandemic with no solution in place. Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and realise that mankind is on a one way street to destruction because of these cunts, just a matter of time. Us old bastards have had a decent knock, but the younger generation deserve better. 

At least it's in the younger generation's hands, G.

Enough participation and appropriate strokes of the pencil in the ballot box - and the likes of Johnson and Trump are gone.

You can only control what you can control - and that's your own vote.

So, hopefully, they'll end up with better.

My bigger worry is the political talent pool. 

How many times do you hear - "anyone but Trump/Johnson".

The world badly needs more than just "anyones".

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, skaro said:

At least it's in the younger generation's hands, G.

Enough participation and appropriate strokes of the pencil in the ballot box - and the likes of Johnson and Trump are gone.

You can only control what you can control - and that's your own vote.

So, hopefully, they'll end up with better.

My bigger worry is the political talent pool. 

How many times do you hear - "anyone but Trump/Johnson".

The world badly needs more than just "anyones".

Yeah it does need a lot more involvement, the idea someone needs to do something, ok, let it be you start getting involved with local community issues etc. (not directed at yerself, but anyone who complains and fails to do anything to try and improve things).

there is far too much sit back and complain mentality, I disagree with the dog on a huge number of things especially politics, but at least he is involved. Same with Tursdeye, hate to doff my cap to a wool, but getting involved with his local party was spot on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Yeah it does need a lot more involvement, the idea someone needs to do something, ok, let it be you start getting involved with local community issues etc. (not directed at yerself, but anyone who complains and fails to do anything to try and improve things).

there is far too much sit back and complain mentality, I disagree with the dog on a huge number of things especially politics, but at least he is involved. Same with Tursdeye, hate to doff my cap to a wool, but getting involved with his local party was spot on.

Yep.

Unfortunately, with my propensity to have a pop at both sides of the political divide (read twenty-five years of my letters to The Australian/The Age) - I guess I fall into @Jairzinho's hated category of "centrist".

And yes, this complaining thing is a pandemic too.

Even at the highest levels - you look at the US at the moment - you've got a buffoon in charge, pure and simple. He has been an incompetent, bumbling dick for 40 years... you'd thing such a palpably shit operator would be easy to shift, wouldn't you?

And yet, rather than peddling genuine and alternative government, the overwhelming pre-occupation seems to be "argumentum ad hominem" against Trump - opponents trying to humiliate him, make fun of him, impeach him, destroy him.

This sort of tit-for-tat shit suits Trump down to the ground - that's just playing his game.

We all know he's incompetent. We all know he's a fool. He proves that himself, over and over and over again.

Why sink to his level of personal attacks, revenge and character assassination?

Fuck that. Waste of time.

Just be an unarguable alternative, get yourself elected... and Trump's goes back to being a failed businessmen and former boss on "The Apprentice".

Trouble is, the "let's get Trump" industry is as bad as the "Trump" industry, and it just gives the rust belt another excuse for indignation with the political system - and 4 more years of Trump I fear.

His opponents are their own worst enemies in my book.

And that's my overall issue with the political talent pool.

Good at opposing, good at complaining, good at witch-hunting (yep, just like Trump)... and therefore not a clear and distinct and irresistible alternative to the status quo.