You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

29 minutes ago, redinblack62 said:

Dyson said they have been told now their ventilators are "no longer required".

And in their press statement they said though "they would not take a penny of public money".

Cheeky Cunts.

The spokesman, a Mr. Crilly, said the public money was ‘only resting in our account’.

• Upvote 1

Testing for key workers Day 2. Working like a charm.,.

Test slots and testing kits for key workers run out for second day in a row

Coronavirus tests for key workers through the government’s new booking website have run out in England and Wales for a second day in a row.

More than 10 million key workers and their households are now eligible for Covid-19 tests as officials race to hit their 100,000-a-day testing target by next Thursday.

However, home testing kits were listed as “unavailable” on the government’s booking website just 15 minutes after it reopened on Saturday morning, according to the BBC.

It was also not possible to book tests at drive-through regional sites in England, Wales and Northern Ireland by 10am.

According to the site, tests at a drive-through regional site in Scotland are still available.

A spokesman for the Department of Healthand Social Care said more would be made available from Sunday morning at 8am.

23 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Testing for key workers Day 2. Working like a charm.,.

Devil's advocate but how many people with no symptoms have tried to book thinking it's an antibody test or 'just to be on the safe side'?

The drivers on Granada reports interviewed last night didn't look especially ill from what I could see.

That being said, as ever, none of this has been well communicated. 

Guest Pistonbroke
20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Devil's advocate but how many people with no symptoms have tried to book thinking it's an antibody test or 'just to be on the safe side'?

The drivers on Granada reports interviewed last night didn't look especially ill from what I could see.

That being said, as ever, none of this has been well communicated. 

To be fair mate, when I was actually in hospital feeling like shit I tested negative. The second test I had a few weeks later I was feeling fine and tested positive. It's a strange virus as they know very little about it, could be that those of us who are on certain medications due to other stuff react differently as far as symptoms or the length of infection goes. I know Elite had blood clots on his lungs yet despite coughing blood the CT I had afterwards showed that my lungs were fine, could be down to the fact I was already on blood thinners due to the heart stent. Something which I will discuss with my GP/hospital at my next check up/tests. 

From Philip Hammond on Radio 4 :

Locking everything down and keeping everything locked down is relatively straightforward.

The challenge of how to carefully, progressively, methodically reopen protecting both health and jobs is much, much more challenging and calls for a really skilful political leadership.

So we're in trouble then.

5 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

From Philip Hammond on Radio 4 :

So we're in trouble then.

Britain will look like this for the next two years I reckon with a hotline from Neil Ferguson to a specially created 'ministry of coronavrius' led by a sacrificial lamb designed to insulate no.10 from blame at any cost.

• Upvote 1

Not to come over all gammon, but the Guardian have run about a dozen articles so far about 'BAME' people being more likely to die. Aside from 'BAME' meaning absolutely sod all other than 'non-white', the ratio of deaths is 19% where you'd expect around 15% based on the population. So not only is it not statistically significant, the demographics of the places where it's hit hardest- London, Birmingham and other large cities- are places where BAME people are more concentrated anyway. If anything, BAME people are actually under-represented.

Compare that with the single article where worldwide, men are about twice as likely to die than women. That's far more interesting as it suggests that having two X chromosomes rather than XY confers some sort of protection, and yet there's been no follow up, no op-ed pieces. Fucking identity politics.

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Not to come over all gammon, but the Guardian have run about a dozen articles so far about 'BAME' people being more likely to die. Aside from 'BAME' meaning absolutely sod all other than 'non-white', the ratio of deaths is 19% where you'd expect around 15% based on the population. So not only is it not statistically significant, the demographics of the places where it's hit hardest- London, Birmingham and other large cities- are places where BAME people are more concentrated anyway. If anything, BAME people are actually under-represented.

Compare that with the single article where worldwide, men are about twice as likely to die than women. That's far more interesting as it suggests that having two X chromosomes rather than XY confers some sort of protection, and yet there's been no follow up, no op-ed pieces. Fucking identity politics.

I'm disliking the Guardian output more and more, feels like a new editorial line being taken. 

But on that tangent, the cruise ship data is interesting.  Vast majority of them are BAME and male, which is my experience of cruise ship crew.

All the cruise ship data from various ships has been the most interesting data on C19 so far.  The purest and quickest window into how C19 moves and how it affects different people. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_on_cruise_ships#Confirmed_cases

2,794 confirmed cases on cruise ships.  As we know, that will be a minimum number of people who caught it.  Out of a possible total of well over 15,000 passengers and crew.

And of these positive cases detected, there have been 58 deaths.

1 in 48 cases resulted in death.

Likely much much lower rate due to underestimation of positives on the ships.

2 minutes ago, Trumo said:

For whom? Lisa Jane who posted that, or the UK government? Because from what I can tell, there's nothing wrong with what Lisa Jane has said there.

It's a reference to the people who downplayed the virus. When you put it into some form of relatable format, like that woman has, it makes you realise even more the toll that coronavirus has had on the country. 

And the full MEN Arena comparison is only for recorded hospital deaths. 

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I'm disliking the Guardian output more and more, feels like a new editorial line being taken. 

But on that tangent, the cruise ship data is interesting.  Vast majority of them are BAME and male, which is my experience of cruise ship crew.

All the cruise ship data from various ships has been the most interesting data on C19 so far.  The purest and quickest window into how C19 moves and how it affects different people. 

What about the other Genders? You know, the new types, the Sam Smiths of the world and all that. 

51 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

It's the same as ever, to be honest. Intersectional identity politics articles written by self-interested middle-class Humanities graduates.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_on_cruise_ships#Confirmed_cases

2,794 confirmed cases on cruise ships.  As we know, that will be a minimum number of people who caught it.  Out of a possible total of well over 15,000 passengers and crew.

And of these positive cases detected, there have been 58 deaths.

1 in 48 cases resulted in death.

Likely much much lower rate due to underestimation of positives on the ships.

According to the WHO, there is no evidence that recovered patients are immune. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/coronavirus-no-evidence-that-recovered-patients-are-immune-says-who-1.4238216?mode=amp