You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

People realise they have something eventually. Doesn't mean it becomes severe, but there are almost no cases that stay asymptomatic. That seems to be a common misunderstanding.

Right, but it seems to present in most people as scarcely more than a regular cold. I was off work a couple of days last week myself with a heavy cold, and I still have a bit of a cough. Most people who get this virus are going to experience nothing more severe than that, and a lot of them will be none the wiser that they even had anything more than a cold.

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, Dave D said:

The Indian restaurant I was eating in last night was playing acoustic Christmas Carols.

Make of that what you will.    

Holy cows..

I'm an NHS doctor treating coronavirus – you have no idea how bad it's about to get

If we go the way of Italy, we're going to run out of intensive care beds in two weeks

Then there is the collateral damage coronavirus will create. For while we are obsessively tracking deaths from Covid-19, it’s really the non-virus mortality we should be worried about. For every coronavirus patient in an ICU bed, one non-viral patient – possibly older, possibly with more complex healthcare needs – may be turned away. If you need intensive care and you don’t get it, it’s unlikely you will survive.

Of course, the crisis will not end when the virus does. We have already begun shutting down some outpatient hospital clinics, and I suspect will close all of them to all this week. There is already a huge backlog of non-urgent surgery and cancer care, much of which will be cancelled entirely to cope with coronavirus. The knock-on effect will be felt for years to come.

Unabated, we could see a million coronavirus cases or more in a month’s time. What happens after that, I don’t know. One thing I do know, however, is that the Italian mortality rate seems much higher than China’s (around 7%, versus 4%), a fact mostly explained by how Italian local healthcare has been pushed to breaking point. Reading the accounts of Italian doctors dealing with their outbreak reads like a warzone. Hospitals diverting all clinical staff to the care of ventilated patients. This is not healthcare but “catastrophe medicine”, of the kind one usually encounters on the battlefield; save who can be saved, leave the rest.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-uk-doctor-nhs-hospital-symptoms-italy-china-a9397736.html

Guest Pistonbroke

Numbers have trebled overnight in Bielefeld where I live. 

15 certain cases and over 300 in quarantine, was 100 yesterday. Public transport hit massively (Passengers can only enter by rear doors and not at the front. No paying as you get on, tickets only available from machines via mobiles, no cash.  Disco's/Nightclubs/Theatres/Cinemas not allowed to open. It won't be long before things go the way of Italy. 

My 13 year old hit the nail on the head a minute ago, he said 'They just didn't take it serious enough from the off.'

Guest Pistonbroke

It's no surprise that all these prominent people are coming out as testing positive, mainly due to the fact they are probably running to private doctors as soon as they get a sore throat. meanwhile us normal plebs get told to stay at home and are only tested if you've been to land ABC etc. The true figures for those who are carrying this virus would send the world into panic IMO. 

I was sweating in bed last night, then freezing cold 10 minutes later. My body is obviously is still fighting something. No fever though, so fuck it. 

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

What's everyone's employers been like?

So far, we've had one email  - a cut and paste job full of generic advice - and literally not one word specific to the work we do, our policies or anything. 

Work for an IT company and ours have been surprisingly responsible.

Wall dispensers for hand sanitizing were added two weeks ago and we had a mandatory day at home for all UK staff midweek to test our VPN. Now all staff in all offices (UK, Singapore, New York and Oz) have been told to work from home until further notice. If any of us develop symptoms we are to contact NHS 111 and tell our line manager. We've been told to expect to remain at home for at least a month, maybe longer.