You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Jenson said:

You're assuming that once you've had it you're immune to further infection? Dangerous strategy as no one knows yet if that is the case.

Well, you are. At least for the short term. Also, all the coronavirus that currently infect humans do provide life time immunity, so I don't think I'm taking too much of a gamble. I'm not going to rush out and start kissing strangers with CV like, I just might sleep a bit easier at night & I will also be aware that I am not shedding.

2 minutes ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

Old creds found in pastebin, most of us have hacked creds from when LinkedIn or another other fucker got hacked that keeps a DB of user creds in plain text.

nothing story.

see haveibeenpwned.com

Yeah, seems to have a lot of links to the antivaxers and those that think Bill Gates it determined to reduce the population of the world to one too. It initially got my attention as most decent scoops these days begin with hacks.

13 hours ago, Moo said:

This has been puzzling me for a couple of days and it's entirely possible I am missing something really obvious but.. 

I've read a number of times now, in the last few days, that contrary to expectations hospitals / ICU's in the UK are not and have not been overrun and have adequate capacity - unlike in Italy at the same stage where it was chaos.  But we were told in numerous articles from numerous sources that Italy's ICU facilities and capacity are better than ours, yet we have the same if not worse death rates.  How does that work then?  Why are our hospitals not in disarray and struggling to cope (PPE aside)? 

It makes you wonder if the only lesson the UK took from Italy was to choose to admit fewer people to hospital, to choose to not even try to help some people, to choose to let them die at home and in care homes.

edit - and to choose not to report on numbers of  deaths outside of hospital 

Per’aps italy and Spain were hospitalising their old folk, rather than leaving them to die in care homes to keep the numbers down.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Well, you are. At least for the short term. Also, all the coronavirus that currently infect humans do provide life time immunity, so I don't think I'm taking too much of a gamble. I'm not going to rush out and start kissing strangers with CV like, I just might sleep a bit easier at night & I will also be aware that I am not shedding.

Not sure the science on covid completely backs you up there mate but I hope that you're right.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think anyone’s conclusively proven that once you’ve had it you are immune. I know there was some speculation that people who’d tested negative and then positive again may have been false negatives, but I haven’t seen any conclusions either way.

Chinese doctors in Wuhan, where the coronavirus first emerged in December, say a growing number of cases in which people recover from the virus, but continue to test positive without showing symptoms, is one of their biggest challenges as the country moves into a new phase of its containment battle.

Those patients all tested negative for the virus at some point after recovering, but then tested positive again, some up to 70 days later, the doctors said.

Many have done so over 50-60 days.

The prospect of people remaining positive for the virus, and therefore potentially infectious, is of international concern.

5 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Not sure the science on covid completely backs you up there mate but I hope that you're right.

I am aware that some people have tested positive-negative-positive in a short space of time, but it is believed that this has been down to false negative tests.

2 hours ago, redinblack62 said:

I have been working in Ireland the last 10 months back and forth on Ryanair. When my current flights were cancelled I was told I would get a refund in 20 days. Now they have sent me vouchers for the value of the flights, and if I try to apply for a refund instead the site just crashes. I have a couple more flights booked before end of May which I imagine will go the same way. I'll be pretty much out of pocket.

The thing is, if Ryan air goes tits up the vouchers would

probably be worthless. Maybe better to insist in refund or go via yer CC.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Chinese doctors in Wuhan, where the coronavirus first emerged in December, say a growing number of cases in which people recover from the virus, but continue to test positive without showing symptoms, is one of their biggest challenges as the country moves into a new phase of its containment battle.

Those patients all tested negative for the virus at some point after recovering, but then tested positive again, some up to 70 days later, the doctors said.

Many have done so over 50-60 days.

The prospect of people remaining positive for the virus, and therefore potentially infectious, is of international concern.

Source?

2 hours ago, skend04 said:

I had tickets for The Book of Mormon this weekend and have only been offered vouchers instead of a refund. Is everyone just trying it on or is this likely to be the best we get for cancellations?

Heard on the Radio the advice is not to take the vouchers as they basically aren't worth the paper their written on 

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I don’t think anyone’s conclusively proven that once you’ve had it you are immune. I know there was some speculation that people who’d tested negative and then positive again may have been false negatives, but I haven’t seen any conclusions either way.

You need to watch this second interview with the South Korean doctor. He explains the difference between a relapse and reinfection which many seem to be confusing is happening.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Heard on the Radio the advice is not to take the vouchers as they basically aren't worth the paper their written on 

True TJ , they are basically your refund taken in voucher rather than cash form,  so worthless if the airline went bang.

There was a suggestion a week or so back that the airlines were negotiating a deal with ABTA/ATOL and the government to produce vouchers that would be guaranteed for a certain period ( 18 months was suggested ) so with peace of mind you could help their immediate cashflow and then go later for a holiday or refund.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

True TJ , they are basically your refund taken in voucher rather than cash form,  so worthless if the airline went bang.

There was a suggestion a week or so back that the airlines were negotiating a deal with ABTA/ATOL and the government to produce vouchers that would be guaranteed for a certain period ( 18 months was suggested ) so with peace of mind you could help their immediate cashflow and then go later for a holiday or refund.

Yeah, I've asked for a refund after I'd had the email offering the voucher. I'm not taking any chances and with cash I can still rebook for the show if it opens again.

• Upvote 1

I'm supposed to be flying to Costa Rica to get married with 25 family and friends in 3 weeks. It's not even officially cancelled yet. TUI have updated their website to say we will get vouchers a month after our departure date and until that time we can not even ask for a refund. They are offering a 20% bonus on the vouchers, but prices have gone up 50%!

39 minutes ago, sir roger said:

No , just got a recommendation from my niece who is a dental technician and the place involved had surgeries in Dalyan and Antalya but the dates I wanted were only available in Dalyan. I was getting porcelain crowns for every tooth in my head for @ £3000 which is about 30% of the price in the UK , and the facilities looked space age fantastic.

Coincidentally my nephew got the hair treatment you describe in Turkey and it looks brilliant. Said it was sore for a few days but the best money he had ever spent.

Cheap as chips...in your teeth!

Just shows you how you get ripped to fuck in UK.

As I said plenty had hair job so must work, did look like a day at the beach with no sunscreen.

Pity that as apart from the price pretty sure you'd love Dalyan. 

Turkey is trying to issue hygiene certs to hotels to try and show you won't catch the virus here. Like most things here they don't really think it through.

Good article on antibody tests/immunity here.  Conclusion is that further research is required and that many existing anti-body tests are unreliable for want of FDA approval.  The market for antibody tests is a bit wild west at the moment.  

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/20/everything-we-know-about-coronavirus-immunity-and-antibodies-and-plenty-we-still-dont/

6 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I'm supposed to be flying to Costa Rica to get married with 25 family and friends in 3 weeks. It's not even officially cancelled yet. TUI have updated their website to say we will get vouchers a month after our departure date and until that time we can not even ask for a refund. They are offering a 20% bonus on the vouchers, but prices have gone up 50%!

If I get offered vouchers I'm refusing. It's cash or I'll go further with it. Why should they get to pocket a few grand for nothing out of my pocket 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Cheap as chips...in your teeth!

Just shows you how you get ripped to fuck in UK.

As I said plenty had hair job so must work, did look like a day at the beach with no sunscreen.

Pity that as apart from the price pretty sure you'd love Dalyan. 

Turkey is trying to issue hygiene certs to hotels to try and show you won't catch the virus here. Like most things here they don't really think it through.

How's Bob?