You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

That's one of the pet hates for me in supermarkets at the best of times- till operators flinging stuff through as fast as they can, then ending up sitting there twiddling their thumbs as you or someone else tries to catch up with the bagging. Just fucking chill out, it's going to take about the same amount of time regardless of how fast you scan.

You should go to Asda Walton. You'd have no such problems. 

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

Nine days to hit the 100K tests a day that were promised. Presumably the next smokescreen will be 250K daily by the end of May, honest.

When they don't reach the target, don't be to surprised to hear the excuse' 'it was only an aim'.

1 minute ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

You should go to Asda Walton. You'd have no such problems. 

When they don't reach the target, don't be to surprised to hear the excuse' 'it was only an aim'.

'We can do 100K, but we don't need to, thanks to our unprecedented actions.'

2 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Same here in Canada.

It’s also the chief public health nurse and doctors who are also showing competencies. Most of whom are women. 

Our boy Justin said everyone stay home at Easter and do virtual egg hunts, etc. And then fucks off to his cottage and his wife posts pictures on social media. Also the leader of the opposition loads his wife and five kids on a 10-seater charter plane with the Green Party leader and a cabinet minister. Wouldn’t leave them back in Saskatchewan while we’re all under order not to travel.

Doug Ford (some may remember his

brother Rob Ford the crack smoking patois speaking former mayor of Toronto) is leading the way and has thrown all partisan rhetoric away and earned praise from from the left. 

Legend.

And of course...

Am I the only one who is planning on adhering to the lockdown until there's a vaccine? I can see everyone trying to just go back to normal when restrictions start to be lifted but the way I see it, the risk of being infected is no different (in fact it would obviously increase) so why should we change our approach?

5 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Am I the only one who is planning on adhering to the lockdown until there's a vaccine? I can see everyone trying to just go back to normal when restrictions start to be lifted but the way I see it, the risk of being infected is no different (in fact it would obviously increase) so why should we change our approach?

Yeah I’m broadly planning on sticking to it until there is a vaccine though there is a chance I’ve already had it, I’m on a sabbatical from work anyway until the beginning of July which I can probably extend but it’ll be unpaid otherwise they’ll probably tell me to come in (I can’t be placed on furlough as I work in the public sector) so I’m unsure what to do come July. 

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

You will be staying at home for 12 to 18 months?

So Gates Foundation, Wuhan Lab, WHO and others have been hacked. I cannot comment of the veracity of these claims, but there are claims nevertheless that the emails show that Covid-19 is SARS spliced with HIV.

I'm not sure though, because I make that to be SHAIRVS.

This could be a huge story!

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

So Gates Foundation, Wuhan Lab, WHO and others have been hacked. I cannot comment of the veracity of these claims, but there are claims nevertheless that the emails show that Covid-19 is SARS spliced with HIV.

It’s obviously complete bollocks.

44 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Well I guess to some extent some of that depends a little on if once you've had it you're immune. If that is the case, the herd immunity thing will kick in at some point, so the risk will reduce every day. And obviously once the government lifts restrictions, people will need to go to work unless they're lucky enough to have a job that allows them to work from home for 18 months. 

And as I understand it, we're not being asked to stay at home to save ourselves, it's because if we didn't the NHS would not cope and we'd probably wipe out half the older population and everyone who's in that vulnerable classification. 

Obviously once people have to go back to work, it seems logical if we do it with the same controls as before the outbreak (pretty much none), we'll be back to square one in short time. But we don't know if that's the world we'll go back to. For instance a few weeks back they were talking of an idea of allowing people who are immune to go about as normal but forcing those who aren't to stay locked down. (Fuck knows who's testing for that)

I don't think you can decide what's next for you personally until the government makes its next move - perhaps with the addition of new science and technology. 

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

It's a tough one. I suppose it depends on whether you think the risk of getting the virus outweighs the loss of those other aspects of your life. 

Looking at the cold hard facts the virus still isn't that lethal, especially for people in your age bracket, it's just that - as the government are trying to (understandably) get us to toe the line, we're surrounded by daily horror stories. I suspect the government would rather have people quaking at home but not going out. When they want us out again and spending money, I expect the narrative to change. 

There's all sorts that could happen though, the vaccine might still be some way off or might not work. 

I'm hoping anti virals or other forms of treatments that have already been approved for use in other diseases prove useful, if they take the edge off the condition then even if people get it they could in theory have it nipped in the bud before they end up in hospital. 

Another thing that could happen is that it could just gradually get weaker. With it being a new virus it was pretty stable, but apparently everytime a virus replicates and moves to a new host it can mutate, mutations tend to make it weaker and not stronger.

It's gonna be a personal decision but me personally I'd rather take my chances than live like this for any length of time. Twas ever thus for human beings, up until about 70 years ago most people were probably dead at 50, at the oldest, because there was so much shit around that could kill you.  

54 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I think the DNA used was Madeline McCanns. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

And as I understand it, we're not being asked to stay at home to save ourselves, it's because if we didn't the NHS would not cope and we'd probably wipe out half the older population and everyone who's in that vulnerable classification. 

Yep. It's all about slowing down the rate of people who will need to be hospitalised when they do get it. I think it's inevitable that everyone will get it. It's just the severity that will differ.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

Facepalm.gif