You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

46 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I just had some sleep! And along with most others I'll be acting in the interests of both others and myself to try and prevent myself from getting it. It serves the interests of both obviously because if I don't get it I can't give it to anyone else. If I get it I'll be self isolating and hoping nobody else gets it from me. Wouldn't wish this on anyone.

And either way I'm still concerned about us as a species, the death toll of this unchecked is in the tens of millions, possibly over a hundred million and could easily lead to societal collapse around the world. It's something I'm hoping we avoid every day when checking the map and stats of where it is now.

I can see what your point was as well and haven't taken it as a big deal so am happy to leave it.

Chill out dude, I get you. Biden not sanders.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Fuming. FUMING. The American health-care system is some sort of dystopic nightmare that has to be experienced to be believed.

So ... we think my better half has coronavirus.

But we can't be sure, which is pretty frustrating. As I've mentioned before, until recently we lived in Siberia but have just moved to Florida. Yesterday, she started to feel the onset of a flu-like illness. Fatigue, fever, chills, and body ache.

Then, the cough started and she got concerned. Dry cough, leading to shortness of breath. Not. Good.

She called her primary care physician today to see what we should do. I think both of us assumed that they would test her for the coronavirus and we could decide whether she should be quarantined alone, or whether we should all stay in as a family for a couple of weeks, whatever. You know, get some medical advice that we could follow.

Instead, we entered this weird Twilight Zone-esque world, where everyone is panicked about the coronavirus but no one is doing much about it.

Her primary care physician says that, based on her description of her symptoms (and keep in mind my wife is a nurse, so she's not some hypochondriac making medical terms up or anything), she needs to get tested for coronavirus right away.

"Great," she says. "I'll be in shortly." But no - it turns out the primary care office not only doesn't have any tests, they said that they'd be FINED if anyone with coronavirus showed up there. We were like "what?" but whatever, just tell us where she should go.

They recommended a trip to Urgent Care. We called the first place that our insurance accepted, they didn't have any tests either. So we try the second-closest place. They at least said she could come on in.

She arrives, and they put her in a room, take vitals, and everyone is dressed up in full protective gear. Seems like they're taking it seriously! Finally!

Turns out, they don't have the test either. But they can test for the regular flu, which has a lot of similar symptoms. That’s got to be worth something, right? So they do it, and she doesn’t have the flu. Not. Good. Again!

Both of us are thinking “this is definitely the coronavirus, then, right? Or at least, that’s by far the most likely explanation for someone having the exact list of coronavirus symptoms, in the middle of a coronavirus outbreak?”

Now it gets weird. The Urgent Care people also seem to think it’s coronavirus, so they call the FL department of health to get a test. They get back a checklist, with only two questions – have you recently traveled out of the country? Have you been in contact with someone who is hospitalized with coronavirus?

It didn’t matter that we just got back from a family reunion with people who flew in from all over the US. It didn’t matter what her symptoms are. If she didn’t have a check mark next to one of those questions, no test.

My wife was told that they were only testing people who were sick enough to be hospitalized, who were over 65. Not sure if the issue is lack of tests, or something else. So they sent her home.

And now we have no idea what to do. Do we send our kids to school tomorrow? Do I go to work? She’s definitely going to just stay indoors, for sure until she’s feeling better and probably a few days afterwards. The rest of us? No idea. Doctors gave us absolutely zero guidance, despite questions. They seemed as confused as we were, to be honest.

Given the fact that we are living in a temporary situation in a retirement community until the completion of our house purchase, I am seriously concerned that we are going to infect the whole group. The boys and I are currently feeling fine, so that’s good news and we are praying that we can stay virus-free.

In the meantime, I have no idea what to do, despite having spent the whole afternoon consulting with various doctors. Just ... how is this possible?

I’d phone the school and keep the kids off. You probably all need to self-isolate for 14 days and also tell all the relatives who attended the gathering and let the retirement community know.

Fingers crossed you all get through it with a full recovery.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
6 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

I disagree the world is overpopulated, the biggest issue with population spike is the unequal distribution of wealth.

over a billion people in India, how many of them are using highly inefficient energy sources? 

6 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Overpopulation is a myth, the entire population of the world could fit in the state of Texas. It wouldn't be ideal but it's possible.

Space is not the problem, having the resources to deal with it is. Plus as AW points out, unequal distribution. Obviously the gasses etc which a larger population emits is not good in the long run, something which we are witnessing at an alarming rate. I have to wonder if this Virus is something designed to cull the elderly and the weak in a certain country, Governments wet dream. I doubt we'll ever know the truth. 

20 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Space is not the problem, having the resources to deal with it is. Plus as AW points out, unequal distribution. Obviously the gasses etc which a larger population emits is not good in the long run, something which we are witnessing at an alarming rate. I have to wonder if this Virus is something designed to cull the elderly and the weak in a certain country, Governments wet dream. I doubt we'll ever know the truth. 

Yeah, this is part of the problem with income inequality, those who have been through and out the other side of industrial/technological revolution start complaining about developing worlds using the cheaper old fuels to bring themselves up to similar standards.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Tom Hanks has apparently tested positive for Coronavirus. 

At least we'll know what he looks like after two weeks in isolation.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76119d7a5518ae3a8acf34

37 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I thought it was only large gatherings that were being cancelled ?

I hope they've cancelled the hotel room

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Bunzl who are a massive company which supply (amongst other things), face masks and hand gel, have had their stocks effectively seized by the government. They are controlling supply, and have told them to expect this to persist for between 9 and 12 months!

15 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

At least we can be reassured that the 111 and UK testing regime is running smoothly... 

Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia. 

HOUSE!!!

I'm gonna have to have an extra 2 weeks off if I survive this trip aren't I. 

• Upvote 1