You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Apparently they test a lot, which usually gives a lower death to registered cases rate. Their hotspot is Moscow and the Moscow region (70 percent of all cases, 60 percent of all deaths).

They are not really testing more per capita than anyone else.

Either way testing numbers have nothing to do with confirmed cases vs deaths. In their instance that rate is like 10 fold less than everywhere else. So either they have 10 times the immune system strength in their general population or...

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They are not really testing more per capita than anyone else.

Either way testing numbers have nothing to do with confirmed cases vs deaths. In their instance that rate is like 100 fold less than everywhere else. So either they have 100 times the immune system strength in their general population or...

They have (probably) expanded testing much later than other countries, so they will overtake most of them per capita at one point. They are also probably testing more in their hotspots, which gives you a more accurate result. They say they have tested so far over 1.8 million people, with 35k positive tests, that is by far the best test to positive ratio, over 50, which will give you a lower death rate compared to the number of registered cases, because you are more likely to have a greater percentage of milder cases in the total, which in turn, lowers the death rate.

UK has tested to positive ratio of about 3, meaning they are testing much higher percentage of people with serious symptoms. Russia began recording greater numbers relatively recently. compared to other countries, so they probably have not accumulated enough serious patients for a higher death rate.

11 minutes ago, mattyq said:

This article from Science is, quite frankly, terrifying.

It describes in explicit detail how Coronavirus kills 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/how-does-coronavirus-kill-clinicians-trace-ferocious-rampage-through-body-brain-toes#

The blood clotting stuff is interesting, when I went in hospital they said that my blood clots and Covid weren't linked but it's one hell of a coincidence.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

They have (probably) expanded testing much later than other countries, so they will overtake most of them per capita at one point. They are also probably testing more in their hotspots, which gives you more accurate result. They say they have tested so far over 1.8 million people, with 35k positive tests, that is by far the best test to positive ratio, over 50, which will give you a lower death rate compared to the number of registered cases, because you are more likely to have a greater percentage of milder cases in the total, which in turn, lowers the death rate.

UK has tested to positive ratio of about 3, meaning they are testing much higher percentage of people with serious symptoms. Russia began recording greater number relatively recently. compared to other countries, so they probably have not accumulated enough serious patients for a higher death rate.

Germany has been the most effective and probably more likely to be truthful. They have tested more and more per capita. Their cases to death rate is believable as it is somewhat in line with the rest of the numbers. Russia is so far off the charts that there is no logical explanation.

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Germany has been the most effective and probably more likely to be truthful. They have tested more and more per capita. Their cases to death rate is believable as it is somewhat in line with the rest of the numbers. Russia is so far off the charts that there is no logical explanation.

I hope you don't work as an accountant for the Cuban mafia.

If we look at Russia's numbers, they are exactly where German and Austrian numbers used to be at that stage of epidemic (about 1% deaths of registered cases) and they are not off the chart, they are in line or worse then high testing smaller countries such as Iceland (0.5%)  

19 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Huh?

Divide deaths by total cases.

World = .06

Germany = .03

Russia = .008

For conversation Iceland is .038

Russia's proximity to China makes it impossible to suggest they were not part of the first wave of infections. They were just not reporting.

World cases to deaths is hardly relevant, if you don't trust a number of countries' reporting, it is better to compare individual countries. As I said, Russia is where Germany was when they had the lowest numbers, about 1% (or Austria). Your number for Iceland is wrong, it should be 0.005 or about 0.5% (if you divide 9 by 1760).

Proximity to China may not be all that relevant, usual travel patterns and economic ties are more important, if people from areas of Russia with higher population density (Moscow) don't travel all that much to Wuhan, they may not have been infected in greater numbers. The numbers will explode once the epidemic hits a bigger urban area.

They say that a skiing weekend in the Alps around February 14 was critical for the spread of the virus in Europe, once the people returned home. As we can see now, the epidemic mostly gets going once it hits a big urban area (Madrid, Barcelona, London, now New York) and it spreads much better in countries with higher population density (incidentally, of 100 or so deaths in Sweden today, a full hundred has been registered in Stockholm).

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Elite said:

The blood clotting stuff is interesting, when I went in hospital they said that my blood clots and Covid weren't linked but it's one hell of a coincidence.

Weirdly, the German doctors dealing with me said that they are certain the Hemoptysis issue I had was connected to Covid, you don't cough blood for nothing, yet all tests I've had since have not shown anything wrong with my lungs or my respiratory tract. I get the feeling that they still know very little about what Covid health issues can cause both during and the after affects, so apart from using their trusted knowledge or gut instinct their views are going to vary quite a bit. 

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Weirdly, the German doctors dealing with me said that they are certain the Hemoptysis issue I had was connected to Covid, you don't cough blood for nothing, yet all tests I've had since have not shown anything wrong with my lungs or my respiratory tract. I get the feeling that they still know very little about what Covid health issues can cause both during and the after affects, so apart from using their trusted knowledge or gut instinct their views are going to vary quite a bit. 

Yeah its strange how we've both tested positive and both had episodes of coughing/vomitting blood with no history of lung problems.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Elite said:

Yeah its strange how we've both tested positive and both had episodes of coughing/vomitting blood with no history of lung problems.

Indeed. Are you having any more tests done mate? The Health department over here said I have to liaise with my GP who called me shortly after. 14 days enforced isolation finished yesterday (although we are just carrying that on as those who work are using home office and the youngest lad is off school until at least the start of May). He said a further 14 days after that I had to speak with him again for further blood tests, a Broncoscopy and a Gastroscopy. I'm not sure if another test for Covid is planned, although I would have thought that is something they'll do to anyone who tested positive anyway. Health wise I still feel a bit rough at times, but the symptoms come and go, like dry throat and mouth, dull pain in chest/left lung region and shitty headaches. Felt fine today though. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

Indeed. Are you having any more tests done mate? The Health department over here said I have to liaise with my GP who called me shortly after. 14 days enforced isolation finished yesterday (although we are just carrying that on as those who work are using home office and the youngest lad is off school until at least the start of May). He said a further 14 days after that I had to speak with him again for further blood tests, a Broncoscopy and a Gastroscopy. I'm not sure if another test for Covid is planned, although I would have thought that is something they'll do to anyone who tested positive anyway. Health wise I still feel a bit rough at times, but the symptoms come and go, like dry throat and mouth, dull pain in chest/left lung region and shitty headaches. Felt fine today though. 

I got given blood thinners and that's it, no follow up appointments or anything. Shows the difference between the German and UK health services I suppose. I'm feeling better but not back to my normal self yet, am hoping the clots start to dissolve soon.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Elite said:

I got given blood thinners and that's it, no follow up appointments or anything. Shows the difference between the German and UK health services I suppose. I'm feeling better but not back to my normal self yet, am hoping the clots start to dissolve soon.

Best of luck mate, I'll contact you if these resulting tests show anything untoward. I just hope today is the start of everything getting back to normal health wise, those headaches were pissing me off as I rarely get them.  

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

They say that a skiing weekend in the Alps around February 14 was critical for the spread of the virus in Europe, once the people returned home.

This part I agree with. Swiss number are tracking world numbers. 

The cat is out of the bag - the world numbers are of utmost importance going forward.  

You are right on Iceland mate -- old eyes used Ireland. 

What do you make of total tests vs. total cases? This seems to have Russia way off the curve as well imo.

It's interesting how so many right wingers are all of a sudden concerned about a huge range of issues people face while the lockdowns are ongoing, Human rights are now a priority to them. Depression, anxiety, nutrition, isolation, suicides, small businesses going under, workers being laid off, etc, etc, all because their greed has to be put on hold for a bit.

Once the lockdowns are over though those exact same things caused by the system we live in will no longer be a problem to many of them and it'll be part of business as usual. Sickening.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

This part I agree with. Swiss number are tracking world numbers. 

The cat is out of the bag - the world numbers are of utmost importance going forward.  

You are right on Iceland mate -- old eyes used Ireland. 

What do you make of total tests vs. total cases? This seems to have Russia way off the curve as well imo.

Don't know what you mean, countries that seem to have the capacity to manufacture their own test chemicals, as Germany and Russia seem to have, tend to use them and test a lot, because testing is the best way to know what is going on. France and UK obviously don't have enough yet and mostly test the sick and the frontline health workers.

I know that Russians developed their own test as early as in January, I am not surprised if they can mass produce them, I mean, they should be pretty advanced in biological weapons development anyway so testing for Coronavirus should not be that demanding for them. Or they were just top of the queue which stretches from China. They seem to have enough to supply other countries they have a strong political interest in.

20 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Don't know what you mean

Not how they got the tests themselves, just the metric.

Confirmed Tests divided by All tests given. That tells you how "hard" it is to find a positive. Of course who is tested is a huge contributor but once you get into the hundreds of thousands that becomes less informative.

So to use Germany as an example that is @ .08.  So for every 100 people they test, 8 are positive.

Just by eye Austria and Switzerland look close to that. Canada looks to be a little less. 

Those seem in the middle, the US and the UK, Ireland are way higher, double or triple because of "selective" testing.

Russia is .02. 

Could they have tested too early - before the virus was actually in the mass of population?

Are they just lucky?

Is there a chance that the numbers are not correct?

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The article is behind a paywall, but the general gist appears in the tweets. The government need to be held to account for their sheer incompetence in dealing with all this. 

https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/status/1251563504118771712

"Johnson skipped five cobra meetings on the virus"

If the theories about him bullshitting about his illness were about anyone else they'd have been dismissed out of hand, the fact that weren't in his case says it all.

35 minutes ago, A Red said:

A little bit of good news for everyone, we in Cornwall may be the first out of lock down

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-could-one-first-parts-4056026

Dont despair, I will post pictures of all the pubs I visit to keep your spirits up.

So they can be miserable bastards in the street to each other instead of on social media. 

Fuck Cornwall.