You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Ooh , I didnt know they had different names , which one is your scrolly thumb ?

I'm a right-thumber, Rog.  But luckily it's quite strong from all those flippers I bowl (the only delivery in the leg spinner's armoury where the thumb is used).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I'm a right-thumber, Rog.  But luckily it's quite strong from all those flippers I bowl (the only delivery in the leg spinner's armoury where the thumb is used).

Yes I am a righty too , never understood how the young ones use both thumbs in a blur.

• Upvote 1

From the Scottish figures-

As of Friday night, 1,793 patients were in hospital with either confirmed or suspected coronavirus, a decrease of six.

Of those, 182 were being treated in intensive care units, down seven from the previous night.

NHS England doesn't appear to report similar figures.

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The 888 new recorded daily deaths mark a slight drop from yesterday, when 847 were reported

I guess thats one way to flatten the curve

888 is lower than 847?

14 minutes ago, Mudface said:

There's this- https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

I assume the 1559 serious/ critical stat would be people in an ICU.

The 1,559 figure doesn't make much sense because of the high daily death toll.  Other countries with comparable death tolls to ours have a much higher number of serious/critical cases, e.g. France with 6,000+.  I think the French figure is more accurate.  I don't think this figure is being recorded accurately in the UK. 

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Are there any hospitalization and ICU stats doing the rounds? Surely they're the only ones that matter in terms of trying to figure out if the lockdown is working.

Have a poke around on the interwebz - got to be something for the UK similar to this:

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_3.html

8 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Twitter thread is too long for me to post but worth a read. Fucking scandalous. 

Glad to see someone has started looking at the ventilator situation. He should start probing Dyson as well.

As you say, this is fucking scandalous and the media should be hammering them about it.

This virtual Parliament thing looks good in principle.  If they can get it up and running this week then fair play.  Any further delay would be unacceptable. 

I do wonder, however, how the likes of Priti Patel can reconcile the upper limit of 50 MPs in the house in order to maintain strict social distancing, when her own policy is to order hundreds of passport office workers to work in the same building.  One rule for the MPs, another rule for the rest of us.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-virtual-parliament-plan-approved-for-mps-to-quiz-ministers-11974166

• Upvote 2

On 16/04/2020 at 08:14, TheHowieLama said:

Or:

Security forces enforcing the lockdown in Nigeria to curb the spread of Covid-19 have killed more people so far than the virus itself, the country’s official human rights body reports.

Abba Kyari, Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari’s chief of staff, has died after contracting coronavirus, a spokesman for the president has confirmed.

Daily Nigerian update:

At least five people, including a young girl, have died and several others injured in a stampede when government officials in northeast Nigeria distributed cash and clothes to thousands of desperate people displaced by jihadist violence

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

This virtual Parliament thing looks good in principle.  If they can get it up and running this week then fair play.  Any further delay would be unacceptable. 

I do wonder, however, how the likes of Priti Patel can reconcile the upper limit of 50 MPs in the house in order to maintain strict social distancing, when her own policy is to order hundreds of passport office workers to work in the same building.  One rule for the MPs, another rule for the rest of us.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-virtual-parliament-plan-approved-for-mps-to-quiz-ministers-11974166

They were all given 10 grand a couple of weeks ago for the virtual offices they obviously didnt already have so they should have been doing the virtual parliament already. But I take your point over the fact that Priti Patel is a horrible cunt.

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Said a week ago something was very fishy there - they have reported 300 odd deaths on 30k cases.

Unlike them to censor info though...

Apparently they test a lot, which usually gives a lower death to registered cases rate. Their hotspot is Moscow and the Moscow region (70 percent of all cases, 60 percent of all deaths).