You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

The rest of that tweet by Governor Jay Inslee

The president is fomenting domestic rebellion and spreading lies - even while his own administration says the virus is real, it is deadly and we have a long way to go before restrictions can be lifted. 2/7

Yesterday, the president told the nation science would guide his plan for easing restrictions. The White House released a sensible plan to resume economic activity. 24 hrs later he is off the rails, ignoring his own plan and spewing dangerous, anti-democratic rhetoric. 3/7

The president’s actions threaten his own goal of recovery. His words will likely cause a spike in infections where distancing is working. That will further postpose the 14 days of decline his own guidance says is necessary to ease restrictions. 4/7

We appreciate our continued relationship with the vice president, Dr. Birx, Admiral Polowczyk, Admiral Giroir and others. But their work is undermined by the president's irresponsible actions. 5/7

I hope someday we can look at today’s meltdown as something to be pitied, rather than condemned. But we don’t have that luxury today. There is too much at stake. 6/7

I encourage political leaders to speak out firmly against the president’s calls for rebellion. Americans need to work together to protect each other. That’s what is working in WA. And it’s the only way to slow the spread of this virus and get us on the road to recovery. 7/7

On 16/04/2020 at 08:14, TheHowieLama said:

Or:

Security forces enforcing the lockdown in Nigeria to curb the spread of Covid-19 have killed more people so far than the virus itself, the country’s official human rights body reports.

Abba Kyari, Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari’s chief of staff, has died after contracting coronavirus, a spokesman for the president has confirmed.

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Abba Kyari, Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari’s chief of staff, has died after contracting coronavirus, a spokesman for the president has confirmed.

Did they say if he died from Covid or with Covid?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Did they say if he died from Covid or with Covid?

He died after being infected with Covid - it is a good question though.

I think you/we will end up find thousands of instances where this virus plays a part in a death but is not labelled the cause. It would be crazy to think that this virus becomes the catalyst in countless deaths of people with pre existing conditions that otherwise would not have died at this time.

4 hours ago, DJLJ said:

> He addresses this round 13:00, he argues that Finland wasn't really hit that hard from the beginning , Denmark isn't doing any better and that Norway's numbers are due to smaller care homes, so they managed to contain it better when it breached the defences.

That isn't really addressing it though, that is just flat out lying. We already had the Denmark v. Sweden debate yesterday or the day before and the numbers aren't lying. Sweden is doing much worse than they should. There are lots of reasons for it, but one of the big ones is his advice. He is covering his arse and I would really hope that the media takes him to task over this. That is what the media is there for, to not let someone like him get away with this.

So what is Denmark doing wrong?

Personally I think its too early to judge who got it right in Skandinavia.

On 15/04/2020 at 18:28, Code said:

Sweden, population approx 10, 3 million, 1203 deaths.

Denmark, population approx 5,8 million, 309 deaths.

Norway, population approx 5,4 million, 146 deaths.

Its too early to say anything about if Sweden have done anything wrong, I would not give a verdict about that before in around 6-7 months time.

A few days later.

Sweden: 1400

Denmark: 336

Norway: 161

That Karol Sakora is one of the worst people on Twitter through all this. He’s the one my mate quotes every day who thinks all the restrictions are going to end imminently and this will all blow over. This is from last week. Bars and restaurants open by mid May. The man is a lunatic, and I wouldn’t believe a word he said. He’s not even an epidemiologist.  

Also got form for being a bullshitter it seems. 

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/may/22/karol-sikora-honorary-professor-imperial-college