You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The Diamond Princess provides a useful example of the mortality rate because the whole ship became infected.  It has a death rate of 1.68%, although it still has 68 active cases and 7 people remain in critical condition so that could increase.  Obviously it had a high proportion of old people on it with it being a cruise ship but it's still a useful guide. 

Everybody became infected?

Also, the demographic of that cruise was hardly reflective of society.

Guest Pistonbroke

Anyone else on here who tested positive or told/think they have had it due to symptoms still struggling at times? I feel fine for a few days then as in this morning I woke up feeling like shit again, sore throat, dry mouth, dizzy spells and a tight chest. Had a few hours sleep on the sofa after lunch as I couldn't keep my eyes open without a struggle and back to feeling fine again. It's not something I want to worry my doctor about, more in fear of ending up in that environment again more than anything else, plus it's not exactly any worse than what I assume a normal virus would be like (Up until I had this I've rarely suffered a cold and can't remember the last time I had a fever, probably about 30 years ago). Just checked my BMI and I'm 30.9, so slightly overweight. Could be that the immune system is more vulnerable to fighting off other viruses which fly about at this time of the year after fighting off this Covid shit. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00885-w

Disease severity

Another team used data from the ship to estimate2 that the proportion of deaths among confirmed cases in China, the case fatality rate (CFR), was around 1.1% — much lower than the 3.8% estimated by the World Health Organization (WHO).

The WHO simply divided China’s total number of deaths by the total number of confirmed infections, says Timothy Russell, a mathematical epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. That method does not take into account that only a fraction of infected people are actually tested, and so it makes the disease seem more deadly than it is, he says.

By contrast, Russell and his colleagues used data from the ship — where almost everyone was tested, and all seven deaths recorded — and combined it with more than 72,000 confirmed cases in China, making their CFR estimate more robust. The results have been posted on the biomedical preprint server medRxiv, and have not been peer-reviewed yet.

The group also estimates that the infection fatality rate (IFR) in China — the proportion of all infections, including asymptomatic ones, that result in death — is even lower, at roughly 0.5%. The IFR is especially tricky to calculate in the population, because some deaths go undetected if the person didn’t show symptoms or get tested.

8 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

In Canada the busses say ‘SORRY NOT IN SERVICE’.

Even our busses are apologetic. 

I remember the first time I encountered Canadians and couldn't get my head around the concept of them. As a child of the 80s meeting an American was like meeting a film star, as you only saw them on the telly (people didn't seem to travel as much back then, at least that's how it felt). 

Loads came to our church (yeah I know) when I was about six. 

"Wow Americans!"

"No they're not son, they're Canadians."

"What? They're quite CLEARLY Americans!"

"I'm sorry son, they're not."

"Hi are you from New York?"

"No I'm from Bum Hats Ontario, sacre bleu." 

What, the, fuck. 

hqdefault.jpg

"These Americans are not who they appear to be, they've never made any famous films and they occasionally lapse into French." 

"These Americans 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Anyone else on here who tested positive or told/think they have had it due to symptoms still struggling at times? I feel fine for a few days then as in this morning I woke up feeling like shit again, sore throat, dry mouth, dizzy spells and a tight chest. Had a few hours sleep on the sofa after lunch as I couldn't keep my eyes open without a struggle and back to feeling fine again. It's not something I want to worry my doctor about, more in fear of ending up in that environment again more than anything else, plus it's not exactly any worse than what I assume a normal virus would be like (Up until I had this I've rarely suffered a cold and can't remember the last time I had a fever, probably about 30 years ago). Just checked my BMI and I'm 30.9, so slightly overweight. Could be that the immune system is more vulnerable to fighting off other viruses which fly about at this time of the year after fighting off this Covid shit. 

I'm still getting chest pain but I think it's more due to blood clots on my lungs.

My main Covid symptoms were feeling absolutely freezing and then having an high temperature immediately afterwards, I also got some minor pneumonia (small part of my left lung) which won't have helped my chest pain but it's hard to say due to the bilateral pulmonary embolism I had/have.

I'd deffo phone the doctor if you're worried. Some of it may be anxiety as well.

26 minutes ago, Elite said:

How are people getting on with their hair? I look like a yeti at the moment, thinking of getting some dubbers and shaving it all off.

I’m in the early stages of looking like a musketeer. If Covid comes round here it won’t know whether to kill me or fuck me. Probably both, in that order.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence of people with similar experiences to yours.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/13/opinion/coronavirus-recovery.html

9 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00885-w

Disease severity

Another team used data from the ship to estimate2 that the proportion of deaths among confirmed cases in China, the case fatality rate (CFR), was around 1.1% — much lower than the 3.8% estimated by the World Health Organization (WHO).

The WHO simply divided China’s total number of deaths by the total number of confirmed infections, says Timothy Russell, a mathematical epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. That method does not take into account that only a fraction of infected people are actually tested, and so it makes the disease seem more deadly than it is, he says.

By contrast, Russell and his colleagues used data from the ship — where almost everyone was tested, and all seven deaths recorded — and combined it with more than 72,000 confirmed cases in China, making their CFR estimate more robust. The results have been posted on the biomedical preprint server medRxiv, and have not been peer-reviewed yet.

The group also estimates that the infection fatality rate (IFR) in China — the proportion of all infections, including asymptomatic ones, that result in death — is even lower, at roughly 0.5%. The IFR is especially tricky to calculate in the population, because some deaths go undetected if the person didn’t show symptoms or get tested.

Or the example of Iceland and Faeroe Islands, where they tested significant part of their small population, with relatively high number of cases per population. Iceland had 8 deaths so far on confirmed 1727 cases, Faeroe 0 deaths on 184. Population is roughly 350,000 and 50,000 respectively and most cases have now recovered, so a big jump in number of deaths is not expected.

You could say this comes as close to what you could consider a controlled environment for an experiment as it can, so far and under the circumstances. It's possible that  they managed to shield off the vulnerable population completely, but it is still about 0.4% death rate, on registered cases.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Elite said:

I'm still getting chest pain but I think it's more due to blood clots on my lungs.

My main Covid symptoms were feeling absolutely freezing and then having an high temperature immediately afterwards, I also got some minor pneumonia (small part of my left lung) which won't have helped my chest pain but it's hard to say due to the bilateral pulmonary embolism I had/have.

I'd deffo phone the doctor if you're worried. Some of it may be anxiety as well.

Hope you get that lung problem sorted out mate. I'n not actually that anxious about it mate, I was just wondering if others are still having bouts of feeling like shit. As I said, it's more like I assume a normal situation would feel like fighting off a virus. I had the feeling cold one minute and sweating my balls off the next, weeks ago, but nothing since, or at least nothing as far as the cold flushes go. I had the results of my CT scan which showed that my lungs are absolutely fine now, plus blood tests which showed all the important stuff are back to normal levels, or at least at the levels they were before it all. I still have to undergo other tests, but they are planned for a few weeks time which I assume they are doing with everyone who tested positive. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

Hope you get that lung problem sorted out mate. I'n not actually that anxious about it mate, I was just wondering if others are still having bouts of feeling like shit. As I said, it's more like I assume a normal situation would feel like fighting off a virus. I had the feeling cold one minute and sweating my balls off the next, weeks ago, but nothing since, or at least nothing as far as the cold flushes go. I had the results of my CT scan which showed that my lungs are absolutely fine now, plus blood tests which showed all the important stuff are back to normal levels, or at least at the levels they were before it all. I still have to undergo other tests, but they are planned for a few weeks time which I assume they are doing with everyone who tested positive. 

I'm on anti-coagelants, possibly for life but it's better than being dead.

I've seen plenty of posts of people saying they've had Covid symptoms for upto 28 days from it first starting, so I think it can last a while for quite a number of people. You'll be grand though mate.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'm on anti-coagelants, possibly for life but it's better than being dead.

I've seen plenty of posts of people saying they've had Covid symptoms for upto 28 days from it first starting, so I think it can last a while for quite a number of people. You'll be grand though mate.

Yeah, I feel fit and well for the most, just these lapses of feeling like shit again which are far from serious but obviously need to be taken seriously. I'm on 2 tablets for life due to the heart stent, Candersartan and ASS, because without them things could get dodgy again. 1 tablet (metformin) to keep blood sugar down to a normal level, also take a DMARD, Hydroxychlorquine for the rheumatoid Arthritis which doctors over here say is fine to carry on taking despite the shite that was flying about the web. As you say, better than dying, plus four tablets is hardly massive in the big scheme of things. Obviously I'd rather take none like. 

57 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What I don't understand is how anyone can be wrong about the death rate when we won't know for months what it actually is. It's bizarre. 

I don't think anyone is picking people up on here over the death rate as such. As has been said, no-one really knows. Its people down-playing it still. It is without a doubt the worst pandemic in many a year, people on here have been directly affected by it as well. Pretty much the whole world is on some sort of lockdown. This isn't the common flu.

That said, I hope figures like 0.25% death rate are true because the way it has been going would suggest it could be a hell of a lot more. 

The government shielding care home figures etc from the daily death toll is outrageous. People care more about either saving face or their pockets (or both) than peoples lives. If a top scientist says stay the fuck indoors because it will help save even one life means I'm doing what they fucking well say. 

I'm not sure any government was ever prepared for this completely and hammering them over it is wrong but reactions have been awful. The reporting of the reality of it all has been scandalous and Trump/The Tories etc are lying to our faces on a daily basis. Of course people are going to get pissed off. It is terrifying for everyone with half a brain cell. My Dad for example is classed a high risk because of a chest condition. Normally he would try and get out of going to the hospital even if his leg was hanging off. Even he is fully on-board with following the advice of the professionals. That might not sound lie much to anyone reading this as they don't know him but you could tell my Dad to close a door behind him and he will reply with "Don't tell me what to do". 

The word is full of dickheads who don't think this is what it is. They are the problem in all of this. Looking for blame/Looking for comparisons/Looking to save face.... How about look at the reality and do the best you can to preserve yours and everyone else lives. 

This should be a normal humane thing to do with or without a bat pandemic and I hold the tiniest flicker of hope that once those of us who can resume a normal life see an improvement in how the general public behave to each other. I am aware though that I may as well pin my hopes on winning the lottery 4 weeks on the spin. 

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Pretty much the whole world is on some sort of lockdown. This isn't the common flu.

This is the main point, if it wasn't for the majority of the World taking these precautions the actual body count would be horrendous. Nothing like this is put in place for the common flu, anyone comparing the two are only doing so to try and add weight to their opinion. 

7 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Shit just got serious.  I’ve been paid statuary sick pay for my week off.  

Lads, you can shut down the GoFundme, they’ve paid me the difference.  

if you see a Romanian fella and his family (all shoeless) wandering around could you send him back. I can’t phone him as he only had a works phone.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DJLJ said:

They have 1200+ deaths, Denmark which is second highest in the Nordics has 300 deaths. There is approx. 50 more inhabitants in Sweden compared to Denmark. But 4 x as many dead. They have done something wrong compared to the rest of the Nordics, who they would normally compare with.

Sweden, population approx 10, 3 million, 1203 deaths.

Denmark, population approx 5,8 million, 309 deaths.

Norway, population approx 5,4 million, 146 deaths.

Its too early to say anything about if Sweden have done anything wrong, I would not give a verdict about that before in around 6-7 months time.

Guest Pistonbroke
11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

So they should mate. As hard as it is for a lot of people. 

I agree mate. Not released a full statement but details are being drip fed as I type. Certain shops are to be allowed to reopen as of next week, Schools being planned for May, but only certain age groups. Large gathering still banned until the end of August. People not ordered to wear masks but expected too. Guess they are relying on the sensible to set the trend by adhering to their advice, plus the cost will be on the public themselves. 

Just said that the masks should be worn on public transport and in shops. The shops which can re open are those up to 800 square meter in total, but under strict rules about hygiene and how many shoppers at a timer. Car dealers and Book shops/dealers allowed to reopen regardless of size. Guess because in general they don't have the same traffic of customers as others.