You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I find it strange and frustrating that the briefings and press reports have basically just turned into a grim daily death count. Where's the reporting of admission and ICU rates? Surely the best indication of whether shit is subsiding? 

Hypernormalisation or something.

They are so uninformative. An absolute waste of time. They might as well publish a 3 or 4 digit number and be done with it. 

Where the fuck is Starmer? Surely he should be screaming for parliament to reform in some guise?

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Hey did you post the article about covid being less deadly or dangerous than flu? If so do you mind sending it my way? I’ve googled it but to no avail unfortunately. Just trying to source all the ‘good’ news about Covid.

There are some positive news articles linked here. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/10/coronavirus-good-news-upside-blessings-covid-positive

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/coronavirus-chronicles-heres-some-good-news-amid-the-dire-reports/

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Where the fuck is Starmer? Surely he should be screaming for parliament to reform in some guise?

Keir Starmer is focused on scrutinising the government's exit strategy from lockdown, which I think is a mistake and the cynical part of me sees it as a cheap way of gaining popularity because he'll be aware that a lot of people want to know how and when the lockdown will end. 

For me he should be concentrating on the lack of testing and PPE and hammering this message daily. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Might have been @Strontium Dog™ then. Did you post any article or tweet about it here? Just want to send something that would help alleviate their fear.

I don't recall, sorry. I expect the death rate to be around 0.5%, which is a smidgen higher than the death rate of seasonal flu, but that's obviously not much of a consolation to anyone who is in the 0.5%. Hope your brother-in-law recovers soon boss.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Even the good news stories are depressing as fuck. 

"Meet the postman who whistles to entertain pensioners stuck in  the house". 

The kind of good news I want is immunosuppressants being tested on baboons and them not exploding, or the virus mutating into something that just give you an itchy nose. 

latest?cb=20200316203007

"The good news is, I no longer fear death, I've found more time to connect with friends via Google hangouts and I've read a book." 

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Even the good news stories are depressing as fuck. 

"Meet the postman who whistles to entertain pensioners stuck in  the house". 

The kind of good news I want is immunosuppressants being tested on baboons and them not exploding, or the virus mutating into something that just give you an itchy nose. 

latest?cb=20200316203007

"The good news is, I no longer fear death, I've found more time to connect with friends via Google hangouts and I've read a book." 

One of my mates is obsessed with everything being positive. Anyone someone says something in one of our WhatsApps groups about the death count rising or something he’s there calling them a prophet of doom and accusing them of being depressing, all while insisting pubs will be open within a couple of weeks and he’ll still be going on his family holiday to Turkey in June. 

Just now, Sugar Ape said:

One of my mates is obsessed with everything being positive. Anyone someone says something in one of our WhatsApps groups about the death count rising or something he’s there calling them a prophet of doom and accusing them of being depressing, all while insisting pubs will be open within a couple of weeks and he’ll still be going on his family holiday to Turkey in June. 

I can be a bit like that but deep down it's because you are scared of accepting the truth so you try to gloss over it to avoid confronting the reality.

3 hours ago, General Dryness said:

It just seems that people who are on the front line are the ones making those statements. If this contradicts the official stats, you have to wonder why.

Anecdotes vs. large scale official stats. Of course the sight of young people suffering from this is shocking and memorable for these hospital workers being interviewed. But the reality is and the facts say that there are clear factors to doing poorly with the disease and it is old age and having a chronic disease and or being obese. Although, of course anybody sick or healthy can struggle at any given time with a virus. Some of it is random. Young people die of the flu every year and this is worse than the flu. 

Plus, serological studies are starting to show infections are generally being waaaaaaaaaay undercounted and therefore the severity of the disease is much less. The real issue seems to be that it is incredibly contagious . 1 person gives it to almost 6 people.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't recall, sorry. I expect the death rate to be around 0.5%, which is a smidgen higher than the death rate of seasonal flu, but that's obviously not much of a consolation to anyone who is in the 0.5%. Hope your brother-in-law recovers soon boss.

That's 5 times the death rate of seasonal flu. I expect long term it will drop to be comparable with seasonal flu, if it doesn't mutate for the weaker. It could just become another cold.

When I was in hospital, a very nice female doctor told me that young people that die generally have some underlying health issue that hasn't been diagnosed or that they are very unlucky and to not believe everything the media is reporting.

Added to the fact that the Covid patients I saw in hospital were either old or fat, usually both. 

19 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

double post

already been negged twice for no reason again, so I'll just say: fuck you TK421

You haven't explained your inexplicable neg for Nelly on the labour leader thread? Or most negs you give out.  Hypocrite. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

That's 5 times the death rate of seasonal flu. I expect long term it will drop to be comparable with seasonal flu, if it doesn't mutate for the weaker. It could just become another cold.

Last German study I saw mentioned put it at about 0.25

13 minutes ago, Elite said:

When I was in hospital, a very nice female doctor told me that young people that die generally have some underlying health issue that hasn't been diagnosed or that they are very unlucky and to not believe everything the media is reporting.

Added to the fact that the Covid patients I saw in hospital were either old or fat, usually both. 

Viral load seems to be a big issue too, that's why these poor fellas driving buses are like rabbits in headlights with it.

• Upvote 2