You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 hours ago, aRdja said:

Yup I love mushrooms, we’re making wild mushroom risotto tonight incidentally... bought half a kilo of wild mushrooms yesterday. Cost me an arm and a leg... but it’ll be worth it. Will upload a pic.

Again if you want to eat fungus, fine, nice cup of psilocybin tea, or drape the things off yer pork chops and swing it at teatime, not at fucking breakfast.

TLW is rife with food fascism. It's the daily mail of the food world. I've no doubt if known members pop their cloggs for no apparent reason the value of their plates and if they liked beans will appear casually in their eulogies.

I dream of a world where a man is judged not by the the colour of his skin nor the content of his plate. 

Except mushroom eaters you fucking dirty fungus munching cunts.

• Upvote 9

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/09/leaked-home-office-call-reveals-uk-government-wants-economy-to-continue-running-as-we-will-all-get-covid-19-anyway/

Leaked recordings of a Home Office conference call on Tuesday, exclusively obtained by Byline Times, reveal that the Government has all but given up in its fight against the Coronavirus and is intent on simply finding “a method of managing it within the population”.

The recordings show Home Office Deputy Science Advisor Rupert Shute stating repeatedly that the Government believes “we will all get” COVID-19 eventually. The call further implied that the Government now considers hundreds of thousands of deaths unavoidable over a long-term period consisting of multiple peaks of the disease.

He said: “It’s perfectly okay to carry on around your business. And it’s vitally important that you do as there’s a whole bunch of supply chains and the economy that needs to continue running… So carrying on with your normal work is not putting you in harms way anymore so than staying at home or going out shopping. So I keep coming back to this point that we are all going to get this at some point. And it’s about making sure that we have a really strong NHS there to support us when we do get sick.”

The policy being communicated by the Home Office privately among Government staffers is at odds with Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s statement at a press conference three weeks ago that the next 12 weeks could “turn the tide of this disease”.

During the Home Office call, Rupert Shute spent significant time explaining what he described as the “scientific advice that sits behind the Government guidance”, which he said unmasks “the gravity of the situation we find ourselves in globally”.

Reflecting on the “reality of the situation”, he said that “we will all be exposed to it at some point”. According to the “current modelling we are working on, 80% will get it – of that, a large portion won’t notice that they have it. Another substantial portion will have very, very mild symptoms. And a small portion will have a very significant reaction”.

Shute repeatedly insisted that “we can’t hide away from it forever, but we can manage the way in which we are exposed”. 

The Home Office refused to provide any further clarification on the modelling the Government was using to justify this projection.

UK Government strategy, he confirmed, is not attempting to contain the spread of the virus, but simply to slow down “the rate at which we get this virus [which] has direct impact on the NHS. It’s vitally important that we don’t get it at the same time. But that does not mean we won’t still get it at some point… We’ve got to keep functioning our lives, go out for food and medication, and go out for work”.

10 hours ago, Moo said:

If he's telling the truth about the nature of his visit then sacking him would be very harsh, very very harsh.  I don't even think you can be that critical of him really. 

He did nothing wrong at all. I did another 480 miles round trip to drop off stuff for my mum the other day and got stopped by police heading home in Devon. I showed them a photo I had took, before i had set out, of the boot loaded up with shopping and my driving licence and they said it was fair enough and sent me on my way.

Guardian non story.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, SasaS said:

One thing I would say which we all tend to forget with all these horror stories we read and watch on a daily basis and with all the anger directed towards our respective governments. And I would like to say it in the voice of Morgan Freeman.

Never before, probably in the history of the human race, has such a massive, coordinated widespread effort been made by so many countries at the same time, as now, to fight this thing. The economic sacrifice has been quite unprecedented, we may feel more should have been done but it has already been completely unparalleled, there are no other comparable examples on a global level. Despite numerous stories of cuntery, never has so much solidarity been shown by so many people in such a short time. It's an event on a scale of world wars, and only events of such scale usually bring about real change in society, mostly for the better.

That, or we may still end up in a Mad Max world hiding from murderous gangs and fighting over scraps.

I think the UK has really shown how it is ready to go it alone, away from all these other people telling us what to do.

3 hours ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

I like lamb sausages, and whilst I won’t eat beef, I have nothing against those who eat them with mash or chips, or In some kind of casserole. Just don’t stick them on a breakfast plate. Brekkie is pigs, eggs, beans and bread. It’s not hard, don’t try to improve it, don’t jazz it up, just make the best of the ingredients. That’s what this thread should be about. Every time ainsley Harriet opens the shopping bag, that’s all it should contain. Pork based products, a bread or other similar gluten based carby nutritional mopper up, eggs and fucking beans. Get yer red tomatoes and green peppers and shove them up yer hole, as they are not welcome at the table.

Fuck sake, you could have said that before we spent 403 pages talking about the virus instead. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

12 hours ago, Moo said:

If he's telling the truth about the nature of his visit then sacking him would be very harsh, very very harsh.  I don't even think you can be that critical of him really. 

12 hours ago, Moo said:

You can't rely on other people all of the time.  What if it was his only trip there in 2/3/4 weeks, while neighbours have just been picking up bits and bobs in between?  Neighbours etc will be buying for themselves too and possibly other relatives so will want to limit their trips out and interactions. 

If you're genuinely enabling a vulnerable person to eat, or have access to medication, it's an essential journey no matter how far. 

12 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What a cunt of a story from the Guardian there. Absolute disgrace.

11 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Some Stasi wannabe has grassed him up for delivering food and medicine to his parents. What the hell is wrong with people.

11 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Are they not the ones who printed it, despite knowing that he wasn't doing anything wrong?

Even the daily Tory is proving he has broke the rules . I see resident gobshite has gone on his revenge negging spree on nelly as well. As predictable as a failed Lib Dem campaign that one.

C571536F-9E73-48CB-A8C8-E6BAF522D838.png

C3B8FE6E-4186-4078-A665-361D2FBF8298.png

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

TLW is rife with food fascism. It's the daily mail of the food world. I've no doubt if known members pop their cloggs for no apparent reason the value of their plates and if they liked beans will appear casually in their eulogies.

I dream of a world where a man is judged not by the the colour of his skin nor the content of his plate. 

Except mushroom eaters you fucking dirty fungus munching cunts.

Don't you dare try to excuse frozen hash browns.

Not on my watch, squire.

Off topic a bit, I was watching question time last night and they normally have a guest from your wondrous world of entertainment so.the more I was listening to it I thought one of the guests was Flash Tony from the fast show.

It was only when the credits rolled I realised it was Conservative party chairmen Brandon Lewis 

https://images.app.goo.gl/zJ3evESLttvUNhgr5

Pic not working

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, davelfc said:

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/09/leaked-home-office-call-reveals-uk-government-wants-economy-to-continue-running-as-we-will-all-get-covid-19-anyway/

Leaked recordings of a Home Office conference call on Tuesday, exclusively obtained by Byline Times, reveal that the Government has all but given up in its fight against the Coronavirus and is intent on simply finding “a method of managing it within the population”.

The recordings show Home Office Deputy Science Advisor Rupert Shute stating repeatedly that the Government believes “we will all get” COVID-19 eventually. The call further implied that the Government now considers hundreds of thousands of deaths unavoidable over a long-term period consisting of multiple peaks of the disease.

He said: “It’s perfectly okay to carry on around your business. And it’s vitally important that you do as there’s a whole bunch of supply chains and the economy that needs to continue running… So carrying on with your normal work is not putting you in harms way anymore so than staying at home or going out shopping. So I keep coming back to this point that we are all going to get this at some point. And it’s about making sure that we have a really strong NHS there to support us when we do get sick.”

The policy being communicated by the Home Office privately among Government staffers is at odds with Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s statement at a press conference three weeks ago that the next 12 weeks could “turn the tide of this disease”.

During the Home Office call, Rupert Shute spent significant time explaining what he described as the “scientific advice that sits behind the Government guidance”, which he said unmasks “the gravity of the situation we find ourselves in globally”.

Reflecting on the “reality of the situation”, he said that “we will all be exposed to it at some point”. According to the “current modelling we are working on, 80% will get it – of that, a large portion won’t notice that they have it. Another substantial portion will have very, very mild symptoms. And a small portion will have a very significant reaction”.

Shute repeatedly insisted that “we can’t hide away from it forever, but we can manage the way in which we are exposed”. 

The Home Office refused to provide any further clarification on the modelling the Government was using to justify this projection.

UK Government strategy, he confirmed, is not attempting to contain the spread of the virus, but simply to slow down “the rate at which we get this virus [which] has direct impact on the NHS. It’s vitally important that we don’t get it at the same time. But that does not mean we won’t still get it at some point… We’ve got to keep functioning our lives, go out for food and medication, and go out for work”.

You could knock 2 months off that report and it wouldn't look out of place. My view all along is the goverment strategy has never changed and all their plan was to buy enough time to get out of the flu season and get the temporary hospital beds open and let it run wild. I reckon there will be a relaxing of the lockdown at the end of the kids Easter holiday, not a full relaxation, but the kids will go back to school, shops and bars will open a week or two later, maybe after the may bank holiday. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, davelfc said:

I really do think criminal charges should be brought against this government.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Even the daily Tory is proving he has broke the rules . I see resident gobshite has gone on his revenge negging spree on nelly as well. As predictable as a failed Lib Dem campaign that one.

C571536F-9E73-48CB-A8C8-E6BAF522D838.png

C3B8FE6E-4186-4078-A665-361D2FBF8298.png

I still see no issue with him taking essential stuff to his parents, it's in line with the rules. 

There was nothing in the Guardian article last night about going to a second home, that I recall, that of course is flouting the rules and another matter entirely.    

Whether or not he is telling the truth is another matter also. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I really do think criminal charges should be brought against this government.  

As I've said before, they will appoint a few people (at our expense) to spend years investigating this. Only for the results to be kept under wraps for 50 years and all the other information redacted. 

At a push one of the scientists might be found dead in absolutely non suspicious circumstances. 

1 minute ago, davelfc said:

As I've said before, they will appoint a few people (at our expense) to spend years investigating this. Only for the results to be kept under wraps for 50 years and all the other information redacted. 

At a push one of the scientists might be found dead in absolutely non suspicious circumstances. 

Yes we've seen it all before.  I don't hold out much hope for any accountability.   

That Jenrick bloke should have been sacked by now.  If politicians want to be the big stars, holding themselves up as role models and paragons of virtue at daily press conferences, then they should be held to the highest standards of accountability.