You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Sorry to hear that. Found out this morning my sister's in an induced coma with it.

Can't help but feel it's going to hit everyone in some way. In the end, we'll all know someone affected by it.

Sorry to hear this, stay strong. Prayers going out.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Was it a spike, or have they just randomly added old death numbers again?

I couldn't say mate. Although I doubt any of the data being released by most countries is correct. 881 deaths in the UK and 4344 new cases, sad news but less than yesterday. The worrying columns for all is the number of active cases worldwide and those in a critical condition, just have to hope that as many as possible pull through. They should be hammering these figures at the public to make them see sense, plus not just on the news but during the lovies favourite programmes etc. Far too many people still not giving a fuck. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

I couldn't say mate. Although I doubt any of the data being released by most countries is correct. 881 deaths in the UK and 4344 new cases, sad news but less than yesterday. The worrying columns for all is the number of active cases worldwide and those in a critical condition, just have to hope that as many as possible pull through. They should be hammering these figures at the public to make them see sense, plus not just on the news but during the lovies favourite programmes etc. Far too many people still not giving a fuck. 

Looks like they did, their official site says 424 dead in the last 24 hours, so the remaining 900 could be from outside the hospitals in previous days.

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Looks like they did, their official site says 424 dead in the last 24 hours, so the remaining 900 could be from outside the hospitals in previous days.

I only use Worldometer/local news for my home City to follow the latest so couldn't say mate. I actually don't dig into the data or go looking for it as It's kind of upsetting and as I've said, probably way off the true figures. 

40 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I only use Worldometer/local news for my home City to follow the latest so couldn't say mate. I actually don't dig into the data or go looking for it as It's kind of upsetting and as I've said, probably way off the true figures. 

I have to know, it gives me the illusion I know what is going on and this I hope keeps me more or less sane.

2 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

It’s a generic letter mate, but is from the hospital she’s being treated at. It includes advice for living with others and eating meals in separate rooms, using separate towels etc, so it’s not “absolute full lockdown” type wording.

shes also going to continue to travel to hospital appts etc.

were going to both mull it over for the next week or so, as we had suggested putting the plan into action from next weekend.

she also has an appointment Witt the oncologist next Friday so will ask them while she’s there.

I can't recall who my letter was from as I've had loads the last 2 weeks as I had appointments and scans due, cancelled, switched to phone and all kinds, I've probably had at least a dozen since the lockdown. However, how you describe the letter sounds exactly like mine did, I'll try and find mine, but I have probably binned it. I had a nurse who was attached to my oncologist who I could go to with questions at any time, just drop her an email. She'd normally get back within 24 hours after she checked in with the oncologist. I don't know if your ex has the same. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/09/hedge-funds-raking-in-billions-during-coronavirus-crisis

Hedge funds have been accused of raking in billions from market bets during the coronavirus crisis while care workers in high-risk environments can barely scrape by.

Frances O’Grady, general secretary of the TUC trade union body, launched a stinging attack on hedge fund managers on Thursday after it was revealed one London hedge fund had made £2.4bn betting on market moves as investors panicked over a global economic shutdown.

News of the multibillion-pound windfall came as Crispin Odey, the Brexit supporter who made millions betting against the pound in the runup to the EU referendum, said his fund had made its biggest monthly gain since the financial crisis.

O’Grady said: “It’s a sign of our broken economy that hedge fund managers are raking in billions, while care workers who are putting their lives on the line can barely scrape by. When the immediate crisis has passed, we need to rebuild a more equal economy. The super-rich must be made to pay their fair share and ordinary workers should get the respect and pay they deserve.”

Ruffer Investment, which was founded by multimillionaire financier Jonathan Ruffer, told clients it had made $2.6bn (£2.4bn) during the coronavirus pandemic-induced global stock market collapse after a series of cheap “protective investment” bets on market volatility delivered huge returns. The story was first reported by the Financial Times.

It also came to light that a US hedge fund made a 4,144% return betting on a stock market collapse in the year to the end of March. The Miami-based Universa Investments fund, which is advised by The Black Swan author Nassim Taleb, made a return of 3,612% in March alone. “I think we’ve shown Universa’s method of risk mitigation to be the most effective,” Mark Spitznagel, the fund’s president and chief investment officer, said in an investor letter seen by Bloomberg.

Odey Asset Management declined to comment on the TUC’s call for hedge fund owners to pay a “fair share” towards the fight against coronavirus. The fund made a return of 21% in March.

Odey, who has an estimated £800m fortune, privately told clients that the world was facing a crisis as bad as the Great Depression in the 1930s.

In a letter to investors on Thursday and reported by Bloomberg, Odey said: “This is not like 2008-9, nor 2001-2, nor even 1989-92. The fall in global gross national product for this year will echo 1931-2. That was a terrible time when countries and institutions disappeared and characters like Adolf Hitler seized their chance to take over Germany.”

Just now, Moo said:

If he's telling the truth about the nature of his visit then sacking him would be very harsh, very very harsh.  I don't even think you can be that critical of him really. 

I kind of agree. But, when others were providing for his parents and when he's travelled 40 miles despite that, I'd say that you're probably stretching the meaning of an "essential" journey. 

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I kind of agree. But, when others were providing for his parents and when he's travelled 40 miles despite that, I'd say that you're probably stretching the meaning of an "essential" journey. 

It’s exactly the same journey Kinnock made.  

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

You can't rely on other people all of the time.  What if it was his only trip there in 2/3/4 weeks, while neighbours have just been picking up bits and bobs in between?  Neighbours etc will be buying for themselves too and possibly other relatives so will want to limit their trips out and interactions. 

If you're genuinely enabling a vulnerable person to eat, or have access to medication, it's an essential journey no matter how far. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moo said:

You can't rely on other people all of the time.  What if it was his only trip there in 2/3/4 weeks, while neighbours have just been picking up bits and bobs in between?  Neighbours etc will be buying for themselves too and possibly other relatives so will want to limit their trips out and interactions. 

If you're genuinely enabling a vulnerable person to eat, or have access to medication, it's an essential journey no matter how far. 

I think there's some merit to both arguments. That he's just doing what everyone else would do, but that it's also not "essential" in the strictest interpretation of things. 

Plus, there's probably loads of people who live a fair distance away from their parents, who would rather look after them themselves, rather than trust the local community, but who have sat tight to respect the government's recommendations. What message does Jenrick’s actions send out to them? Does it give them the green light to drive an 80 miles plus round trip if they're not entirely happy with local community groups and volunteers stepping in?