You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Mask articles:-

https://www.ft.com/content/d7057a2e-739d-11ea-95fe-fcd274e920ca

Wait, what's this?   The CDC says that "EVEN SIMPLE CLOTHS COULD HELP PREVENT TRANSMISSION OF THE VIRUS".  Wear a mask, bitches.  Now.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52126183

One internal memo for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that even simple cloth masks could help reduce the risk of virus transmission, the Washington Post reports.

WHO considering changing advice.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/all-uk-hospital-staff-and-patients-should-wear-masks-says-doctors-group

The World Health Organization is considering changing its guidance on whether people should wear face masks in public, prompted by new evidence that suggests doing so could help contain the pandemic.

Mask Boy 1 Anubis 0

I’m glad I didn’t read this last night! I’m starting to get quite anxious and not slept well the last couple of nights. 
Yesterday made a decision not to watch too much news yesterday and read my kindle instead of looking at my phone.

Hadn’t left the house yesterday as it was so stressful trying to get my parents shopping the day before. I’ll go for a walk today I think because it does make you feel a bit less lethargic.

• Upvote 1

I really wonder what state people will be in by the end of this mentally and physically. It will take major adjustment if it carry on over the initial 3 months. 

Normally people have so little time to actually truely switch off and think. I can see divorce numbers going through the roof, and people really struggling with things like depression and a general malaise with everything. 

Trying to find some sort of routine will really be needed by alot of people and just constantly sitting up late eating shit and drinking won't be helping either. Adding in a natural supplement like Chamomile, Gingseng or St John's wort might help some people as they're all quite well known to lift peoples moods, add clarity of thought etc

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/314421#herbs-and-supplements

I'm not saying take them over actually going to the doctor. If you need help get it. Just it might help some people just being stuck inside for a few months and being actual natural supplements and not done weird chemical compound shit it's maybe worth a look. I know some people who found they helped and some they did nothing for

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, suzy said:

I’m glad I didn’t read this last night! I’m starting to get quite anxious and not slept well the last couple of nights. 
Yesterday made a decision not to watch too much news yesterday and read my kindle instead of looking at my phone.

Hadn’t left the house yesterday as it was so stressful trying to get my parents shopping the day before. I’ll go for a walk today I think because it does make you feel a bit less lethargic.

I just read back here and have a quick look at The Guardian a few times a day now mainly, then go back to the PS4. Was in a bit of a state for a few days from the stress of it recently and realised that reading up on the subject and getting wound up on social media/forums can quickly become too much if there's not regular breaks. It took a while to get away from it though and my anxiety had flared up a bit by that point.

It's been good to get away from it more again, without gaming at the moment I'd be lost I think.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Yeah, they’ve literally just been given another five years. Surely it would have made more sense to deal with this in the best way possible. Then Workington Man goes back to not giving a fuck whilst the Tories get back to the business of fucking him over for the benefit of their mates. 

Now instead they’re gonna have to answer for a lot of this shit, particularly with regards to the NHS and especially if the number of people dying keeps going up as we’re all expecting it to in the next couple of weeks. 

There is no excuse for the half arsed lockdown or the lack of capacity for testing though. And they're both political choices. We knew about this shit two months ago. Italy's lockdown started about four weeks ago.

I don't think they're actively looking to wipe out the part of the population that doesn't add economically to the country, but they clearly don't give a shit about increasing the number of deaths amongst them. 

As I said before, the fact that there have been delays when it comes to hospital beds, etc is largely down to prioritising the profits of private health over the lives of the population. It would be difficult to find a better example of just how callous the views of the government are. I don't think any of this is remotely conspiratorial, and I think people have every right to be fucking angry. It doesn't appear many people are though judging by the support levels for this gang of rabid chancers.

As others have said, they know they're untouchable. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Fucking hell. I literally watched the video for Stacey’s mom a couple of hours ago. Sad news. 

Stacey Mom,

Shes takes it up the bum,

Cum in her mouth,

Always says yum yum,

Stacey can’t you see, 

Your Momma loves my pee,

I know it might be wrong, 

She really loves it up the bum.

RIP. YNWA etc etc. 

"Trump's crazy, China have been too authoritarian in their response to this, Bolsonaro is a psycho."

Rodrigo Duterte : "Hold my fucking beer."

Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte has been widely criticised by labour groups after he ordered police to shoot dead residents who break quarantine rules.

This pandemic has definitely put the spotlight on some of the biggest idiots on the planet.

7 hours ago, DJLJ said:

The US will most likely have more than 1k deaths tomorrow. 869 confirmed dead today and still the country isn't locked down yet. 

EDIT: Spain has 920+ today also, could also reach 1k by tomorrow. 

USA 1049 deaths yesterday.

I’m meant to be going to the US on holiday this year (3 weeks split between Texas, Montana and Maine), I’ve no chance of going do I?

Although numbers are still high, Italy’s curve looks to be flattening. 

Spains new cases looks to be flattening as well, will take some time to realised in death rates though, unfortunately. 

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

USA 1049 deaths yesterday.

I’m meant to be going to the US on holiday this year (3 weeks split between Texas, Montana and Maine), I’ve no chance of going do I?

Although numbers are still high, Italy’s curve looks to be flattening. 

Spains new cases looks to be flattening as well, will take some time to realised in death rates though, unfortunately. 

I would completely write this year off for any holidays at all to be honest. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If only our Government had had some kind of warning, some other countries to observe and worldwide experts to listen to. Some kind of global health organisation to guide it and data from other countries to examine.  

When most of the world were reading from the same hymn book on flattening the curve by testing testing testing we were doing the opposite and claiming it was flattening the curve. The vulnerable were highlighted straight away but the answer was to allow 8 or more days of mass crowding and panic buying before making those people stay indoors, and days of more mass panic before then limiting the rest. To keep schools open and to allow sports events to continue, eventually resulting in them having to cancel themselves. 

Everyone was put on the honour system, which even an idiot knows applies to a tiny amount of sensible people. Then they delayed and delayed measures to give people guarantees on pay so they would feel forced to carry on working. They constantly gave out unclear instructions. 

The result is as many have already said, is that we have a situation where they have encouraged most people to catch it. They let the cat out of the bag on day one by basically announcing their plan, then changed the PR but stuck to the same plan. 

It's not as if they don't have disaster plans in place, they have been spending loads of our cash each year on a pandemic plan. Many responsible for those plans are already questioning why they appear to have been ignored. I get that not all plans fit all situations and this virus has it's own challenges but the basic responses appear to have been ignored. 

There will be and should be some hard questions asked after this. Unfortunately the results of such questions are usually hidden away, not released or locked up for 50 years to protect the greedy. 

Around 55% of welfare spending (£114bn in 2014/15) is currently paid to pensioners, with the state pension by far the largest element of this. This expenditure is forecast to increase by an average of £2.8 billion a year over the next five years, resulting in spending of £128 billion by 2019/20.

Despite the recent increases in state pension age, it is expected that the pensioner population will continue to rise. In 2014 there were 3.2 people of working age for every person of pensionable age. This ratio is projected to fall to 2.7 by 2037.

The Office for Budget Responsibility points out that without offsetting tax rises or spending cuts, the ageing population will cause a widening of budget deficits over time, eventually putting public sector debt on an unsustainable upward trajectory.

The prevalence of long-term health conditions increases with age; and according to a 2010 estimate made by the Department of Health, such conditions account for 70% of total health and social care spending in England.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/key-issues-parliament-2015/social-change/ageing-population/

Hindsight is 20/20 and some mistakes can be forgiven or at least understood. I'm an old cynic though and while I am not saying our government has purposely set out on a course to allow the most vulnerable to die, they do have 'form' for doing so. 

• Upvote 2

Researchers in a handful of countries are testing a century-old tuberculosis vaccine to see if it can give a boost to the immune system to help it fight off the novel coronavirus now causing the COVID-19 pandemic.

Clinical trials of the Bacille Calmette-Guerin (BCG) vaccine, which was first developed in the early 1920s, are planned in Europe and Australia to see if it can help reduce the prevalence and severity of COVID-19 symptoms. 

Researchers from the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute (MCRI) in Melbourne are currently working to enroll 4,000 healthcare workers from hospitals around Australia in one study.

A WHO review in 2014 gave the findings that BCG may reduce overall mortality a very low confidence rating, however. Other reviews have been more favorable. 

Still, researchers hope that BCG could be a bridge that suppresses the overall impact of the coronavirus pandemic until a new, targeted vaccine is ready.

Scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology developed the vaccine candidate VPM1002 based off of BCG earlier this century, which will be used for the trial starting soon in Germany. VPM1002 has been shown to protect the respiratory tracts of mice from viral infections. 

“In addition, VPM1002 can be manufactured using state-of-the-art manufacturing methods which would make millions of doses available in a very short time”, says Adar C. Poonawalla, CEO and Executive Director, Serum Institute of India in a statement.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2020/03/31/a-vaccine-from-the-1920s-could-help-fight-the-coronavirus-pandemic/#37e12d601220

22 hours ago, suzy said:

38 minutes ago, davelfc said:

Researchers in a handful of countries are testing a century-old tuberculosis vaccine to see if it can give a boost to the immune system to help it fight off the novel coronavirus now causing the COVID-19 pandemic.

Clinical trials of the Bacille Calmette-Guerin (BCG) vaccine, which was first developed in the early 1920s, are planned in Europe and Australia to see if it can help reduce the prevalence and severity of COVID-19 symptoms. 

Researchers from the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute (MCRI) in Melbourne are currently working to enroll 4,000 healthcare workers from hospitals around Australia in one study.

A WHO review in 2014 gave the findings that BCG may reduce overall mortality a very low confidence rating, however. Other reviews have been more favorable. 

Still, researchers hope that BCG could be a bridge that suppresses the overall impact of the coronavirus pandemic until a new, targeted vaccine is ready.

Scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology developed the vaccine candidate VPM1002 based off of BCG earlier this century, which will be used for the trial starting soon in Germany. VPM1002 has been shown to protect the respiratory tracts of mice from viral infections. 

“In addition, VPM1002 can be manufactured using state-of-the-art manufacturing methods which would make millions of doses available in a very short time”, says Adar C. Poonawalla, CEO and Executive Director, Serum Institute of India in a statement.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2020/03/31/a-vaccine-from-the-1920s-could-help-fight-the-coronavirus-pandemic/#37e12d601220

Did we not all get the BCG at school ?  Was it not a lifetime lasting one ?

8 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Trump has had a pop at Boris Johnson today for his slow reaction to the virus 

Have you noticed that Donald Trump and Strontium Dog have the same number of letters in their names and have a similar spoken structure?

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I really wonder what state people will be in by the end of this mentally and physically. It will take major adjustment if it carry on over the initial 3 months. 

Normally people have so little time to actually truely switch off and think. I can see divorce numbers going through the roof, and people really struggling with things like depression and a general malaise with everything. 

Trying to find some sort of routine will really be needed by alot of people and just constantly sitting up late eating shit and drinking won't be helping either. Adding in a natural supplement like Chamomile, Gingseng or St John's wort might help some people as they're all quite well known to lift peoples moods, add clarity of thought etc

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/314421#herbs-and-supplements

I'm not saying take them over actually going to the doctor. If you need help get it. Just it might help some people just being stuck inside for a few months and being actual natural supplements and not done weird chemical compound shit it's maybe worth a look. I know some people who found they helped and some they did nothing for

Think I'll just roll a doobie , the wife can struggle on with worts and other stuff

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I would completely write this year off for any holidays at all to be honest. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

It’s to see my wife’s family so I’ll be quite relieved if we can’t go. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Did we not all get the BCG at school ?  Was it not a lifetime lasting one ?

We found that there was a reduction in the number of deaths attributed to COVID-19 per million inhabitants in countries that have universal BCG vaccination (usually at birth) compared to the countries that never established such policy,” he said. “The earlier the establishment of such policy, the stronger the reduction in mortality, consistent with a protection to the elderly population which is more severely affected by COVID-19.”

Italy and the United States, two of the countries hit hardest by the pandemic, do not have universal BCG vaccination policies. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2020/03/31/a-vaccine-from-the-1920s-could-help-fight-the-coronavirus-pandemic/#48e935801220

BCG usage in the UK

BCG was first introduced into the NHS’ childhood vaccination scheme in 1953, and until 2005 the vaccine was administered to all children at the age of 13. Because BCG is a live vaccine, it can effectively induce immunity with a single dose given at this age. The incidence of TB peaks during adolescence, which is why children were immunised at the beginning of their teenage years. 

Since 2005 however the administration of the BCG vaccine in the UK has changed dramatically. Now the BCG vaccine is offered shortly after birth, particularly to children in high risk areas of the UK like certain parts of London. The vaccine can still be administered to older children if the early immunisation was missed.

https://www.healthcentre.org.uk/vaccine/who-gets-the-bcg-vaccine-in-the-uk.html

1 minute ago, davelfc said:

We found that there was a reduction in the number of deaths attributed to COVID-19 per million inhabitants in countries that have universal BCG vaccination (usually at birth) compared to the countries that never established such policy,” he said. “The earlier the establishment of such policy, the stronger the reduction in mortality, consistent with a protection to the elderly population which is more severely affected by COVID-19.”

Italy and the United States, two of the countries hit hardest by the pandemic, do not have universal BCG vaccination policies. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmack/2020/03/31/a-vaccine-from-the-1920s-could-help-fight-the-coronavirus-pandemic/#48e935801220

I suspect this is more down to coincidence than to science.