Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 302 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

The "success stories" so far in terms of countries have been related to early mass testing and favourable population demographics. Not much to do with universal or privatized health care. 

18 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Andrew Neil on twitter suggesting the reason Germany are doing better at dealing with this pandemic is because of their private insurance based healthcare system in comparison to the NHS. He has yet to explain why the US are really struggling though.. eek.

They watched Italy like a hawk and acted accordingly unlike the UK/U.S who pretty much did nothing in terms of planning.

12 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

They watched Italy like a hawk and acted accordingly unlike the UK/U.S who pretty much did nothing in terms of planning.

Not quite true. Germany response differed across States - there was not a completely unified view. Despite it escalating more quickly than in the UK nightclubs in cities like Berlin and Hamburg -- for example -- were still open until relatively recently, whereas some States went into much quicker shut down. Berlin - again for example - was trying to hold Bundesliga games open to the public as late as w/e 15th March, against recommendations. Nothing is ever black/white.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Yes it will be interesting to see what the impact is: they are also a bit of an outlier in terms of circumstance. Median age of around 40 - compared to northern Italy where median age can be as high as 48 / 49. One of the very lowest obesity rates in Europe (embarassingly, the UK has one of the very highest). A more robust social-welfare/healthcare system. If any country is built for a long-haul approach, its probably Sweden. That said, Norway was one of the first countries to take a hard lockdown stance I think, so clearly not a united point of view across the Nordics.

Other Swedish commentators.saying they will have to go full lockdown next.week we will see

I don't think it has much to do with demographic factors, Sweden has much higher mortality rate than Norway and they are testing much less. Iceland was testing like crazy, they have the highest cases per capita in the world I think, and a low mortality rate. Germany's mortality rate is going up, as they said it would, now they are unable to catch most cases by testing. 

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Especially as it’s so new nobody is yet able to definitively say the majority of people can only catch it once, as it is, let alone if it mutates.

Most scientists believe once you catch it you will not catch it again which is probably why Cummings and co flirted with heard immunity but as you say it's a new virus so nothings written in stone.

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Most scientists believe once you catch it you will not catch it again which is probably why Cummings and co flirted with heard immunity but as you say it's a new virus so nothings written in stone.

I’ve read that too and it certainly provides a lot of hope in that regard. Let’s hope they’re able to confirm it ASAP.

On the subject of catching the virus twice,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/the-big-question-over-coronavirus-can-a-person-get-it-twice

Unlikely; which is probably why the Chinese have re opened the infected areas.

Although children over Yemen, Iraq, Syria and the middle east can catch a British made warhead time and time again, the only immunity is death.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I’ve read that too and it certainly provides a lot of hope in that regard. Let’s hope they’re able to confirm it ASAP.

Yeah let's hope so but as you say its early days so fingers crossed.

18 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I explained to you that was a throwaway remark, a stab at humour and you seemed to except. It's over there go take another look you disingenuous little cunt.

You take things far too seriously. Oh and call me a cunt to my face and I’ll boot you back up your mums grotty black magic fanny. 

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

On the subject of catching the virus twice,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/the-big-question-over-coronavirus-can-a-person-get-it-twice

Unlikely; which is probably why the Chinese have re opened the infected areas.

Although children over Yemen, Iraq, Syria and the middle east can catch a British made warhead time and time again, the only immunity is death.

And the Middle East? 

18 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Agree in principle but a vaccine is what, 12 to 18 months away? It is simply impossible to enforce lockdown for anywhere near that length of time.

Surely to god it can't last that long. 

The Spanish flu didn't last that long and that killed millions and they never got a vaccine for it either. 

But I do predict we'll be stuck indoors for the guts of 6 months. Unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Surely to god it can't last that long. 

The Spanish flu didn't last that long and that killed millions and they never got a vaccine for it either. 

But I do predict we'll be stuck indoors for the guts of 6 months. Unfortunately. 

I think they are hoping the test kits that show if you have had the virus will sort it out, a herd immunity by stealth maybe? Although I'm guessing.

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Is that offer open to everyone? 

Say that to my face and i'll boot you up Gnashers mums black magic fanny 

51 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

What exactly is going on there? 

The government ordered a 21 day curfew. Migrant workers in Delhi and other big cities have been left without homes and any way to get back to their towns or states. They are having to walk, in some cases, half the length of the country. Not even provided transport as everything is shut down. Been watching it on the Indian news channels, it's shocking.