Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 301 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

16 hours ago, Anubis said:

B&M are.

I didn't know that, but only got to Asda yesterday and that's the only shopping I've done in 2 weeks. 

16 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I think you're being a tad overdramatic Barry, although your comment about stretching police resources did make me smile.

Overdramatic to you. Or the government and scientific advice to the rest of us. 

16 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Although I am spending the vast majority of my time couped up in my house, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to go to a petrol station when it's quiet to refuel and buy some essentials. Obviously travelling miles to have a social or go shopping/exercise isn't a good thing but going for a 5/10 minute drive or walk doesn't seem inappropriate at all.

Maybe I'm reading that comment out of context?

A 5 min drive is not quite "driving out to the countryside", although personally I am only using my car to shop. Last weekend Snowdon national park had one of its busiest days on record. I'm sure plenty of people think it's great. Personally I think it's fucking stupid and completely defeats and undermines everything else we're doing. 

As for topping up food in the petrol station, in an ideal world you should be shopping as little as possible to cut down on contact.  I had to get petrol yesterday at Asda (it's an unmanned station) as I'd got down to the bottom of the red and was single figure miles left in the tank. I had a pair of rubber gloves with me, which I used and paid at the pump, throwing the gloves away when I was done. While I was there, there were 3 other people using the pumps. An old lady just in front of me who also wore gloves. And 2 young lads who turned up and used the pumps without gloves or cleaning the pump or chip and pin. This virus lasts for 3 days on those type of surfaces, you can be almost certain this type of contact will cause the virus to be spread. Unless you take the correct precautions, getting petrol is probably one of the worst things you can do.

16 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Went to Tesco today as we are running out of food & cleaning stuff. The queue went around the car park with people respecting the two metre distancing. It was one in and one out with staff cleaning the handles of the trolleys before you went in. There was also an exclusion zone for the tills. A little late, but good to see anyway.

Maybe I need to change supermarkets! I do have a Tesco just up the road, but didn't go there as I can never get my weekly shop there at the best of times, so figured I'd come home without enough stuff to see me through the week. 

15 hours ago, Gnasher said:

You seem to live in a fairytale world where british police do not or will not abuse the powers given. Good for you.

Society has cunts. There's no reason to think the police are any different, so of course there will be some police who will abuse their new powers. It's just the same as the general population. There is an expectation at this time you follow the rules. Plenty of people aren't because they believe they know better, so they just follow their own selfish path. Then there's what's happened in the charity shop down the road from me last night. Some cunt has broken in and just trashed it. People are cunts. Police are people, so there will always be bad ones. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Hope you are all doing ok TLW.

We have Covid19 in our household. It's a bastard virus and you don't want to catch it. 

Hope you all make a speedy recovery mate, take care. 

Weather isn't helping. Yesterday we had 18°C, probably more like 21 in the Sun. Today it is 2.3°C at the moment and trying to snow! 

Edit: Now it is snowing. 

11 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Weather isn't helping. Yesterday we had 18°C, probably more like 21 in the Sun. Today it is 2.3°C at the moment and trying to snow! 

Edit: Now it is snowing. 

Great to see you back-are you all mended?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Erm,  not trying to downplay the seriousness of the situation but lets keep a bit of perspective, the worst affected country in the world Italy has seen approx 10 thousand deaths, a large percentage had underlying health problems.  The war in Yemen has seen approx 85 thousand children under the age of 5 die of starvation in the past 3 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/21/yemen-young-children-dead-starvation-disease-save-the-children

Our government sold 5 billion quids worth of arms to Saudi, the result is a death upon death upon death.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/revealed-1bn-of-taxpayers-cash-to-help-foreign-countries-buy-british-arms

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

We have Covid19 in our household. It's a bastard virus and you don't want to catch it. 

Hope you all recover soon.

19 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Great to see you back-are you all mended?

Cheers mate, I hope you and yours are coping well? We're all still full of cold with other symptoms, but in the big scheme of things it isn't anything that bad, especially when you see and here what others are having to put up with. Still waiting for a date for the second test I have to undergo and the result of the CT scans on my thorax. Just lots of rest and hammering the streaming services. Having a garden is a also something you appreciate at times like these. Sitting in there yesterday whilst reading a book, and you kind of take more notice of the wildlife and beauty which is around you. It was spoilt by some neighbours in an adjacent street having a rave with some real shite music, but the police turned up and I'm certain their bank balances won't be so healthy in the coming weeks, the idiots. 

• Upvote 3

I was in a zoom call with my mate who's on assignment in New York.

He has about a dozen colleagues who have tested positive. One of them was told by their physician he estimates there is another 140,000 infected in New York alone.

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

Hope you all make a speedy recovery Mr T.

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

Fingers crossed for all of you.

Looking on the bright side nobody is likely to force you onto a plane for the foreseeable 

• Upvote 2

Talking of planes, what a shower of bastards Easyjet have turned out to be. Deliberately waited until 6 days before our flight to Turkey to cancel it and while happy to change flights or offer a voucher online,  you have to actually speak to their call centre for a refund.The phones are extremely difficult to get through to even in normal times never mind with hundreds of flights being cancelled and staff sickness likely to be at an all time high , oh and it is closed on a Sunday.

Friend explained the 'six day' thing to us as it means for the great majority it will make you phone at least twice as the second flight will not be cancelled by the time you are due to fly on the first one.

I think we should just let it spread rampantly becuase the UK government sold some arms to Saudi Arabia. 

Let's keep it in perspective.  People like a slow agonising death, let's have more of it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I think we should just let it spread rampantly becuase the UK government sold some arms to Saudi Arabia. 

Let's keep it in perspective.  People like a slow agonising death, let's have more of it. 

Deliberately missing the point is not big or clever 

• Upvote 1

There's been some discussion on fatality rates but the only correct answer is we don't know. As I heard one epidemiologist say you don't figure out the fatality rate during a pandemic you figure it out way after. 

There are going to be major problems with both the numerator and the denominator in any such calculation and the only way to get it remotely accurate is in deep retrospect. 

When things are uncertain it is always best to hedge towards caution. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/29/the-observer-view-on-government-failure-in-the-coronavirus-crisis

now I know we all know the gov response was late and indecisive. Have a read in this piece about the ventilators and how they dropped the ball.this is not incompetence to do what they did suggests they had totally different plan (herd immunity ?).

for those busy working out excel worksheets of who would have died anyway and how many will die due to a 6% drop in the economy , whatever your beliefs , it has taken a minister from Ghana today to put all the arguments to bed  for the short term “ we know how to fix the economy, we don’t know how to fix death”  . Well said that man

edit can’t get link to embed

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Surely if the numbers reduce and people go outside again, the numbers will go up again?

This is the main thing for me. What if a cure isn't found ? Are we then in a vicious circle where this virus is always out there and has a high infection period like seasonal flu ?  

18 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

This is the main thing for me. What if a cure isn't found ? Are we then in a vicious circle where this virus is always out there and has a high infection period like seasonal flu ?  

Especially as it’s so new nobody is yet able to definitively say the majority of people can only catch it once, as it is, let alone if it mutates.

3 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Sweden the outliers in terms of approach

https://flip.it/zqeocg

Yes it will be interesting to see what the impact is: they are also a bit of an outlier in terms of circumstance. Median age of around 40 - compared to northern Italy where median age can be as high as 48 / 49. One of the very lowest obesity rates in Europe (embarassingly, the UK has one of the very highest). A more robust social-welfare/healthcare system. If any country is built for a long-haul approach, its probably Sweden. That said, Norway was one of the first countries to take a hard lockdown stance I think, so clearly not a united point of view across the Nordics.

Andrew Neil on twitter suggesting the reason Germany are doing better at dealing with this pandemic is because of their private insurance based healthcare system in comparison to the NHS. He has yet to explain why the US are really struggling though.. eek.