Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 297 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

Agree in principle but a vaccine is what, 12 to 18 months away? It is simply impossible to enforce lockdown for anywhere near that length of time.

Right, but it's either stay at home or more people die.  It's up to us how we respond as a society collectively. 

Just now, TK421 said:

There's no easy answers, though.  By encouraging people to go out and with your laissez-faire attiutude more people will die from the virus. 

I do not advocate people not being responsible.

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

I do not advocate people not being responsible.

You wanted the landlord of the boozer in Speke who opened after the ban to be put in the corona saints thread you fucking blanket. 

• Upvote 2

I think one of the main problems is that a lot of countries have been fine with the idea of locking down but many of them haven't done the other half of what made this work in the East : mass testing and contact tracing. If you're only testing cases in hospitals for the most part it's not doing the job of stopping new cases. And if countries eventually lockdown but didn't do the testing early on then things are already in a bad state like we're seeing all over Europe and in the US.

If we could get that other half of it sussed we could actually solve this, but without it I can't see how it works out very well. Maybe governments around the world will eventually start working this out. If we're to get this sorted fast and prevent a lot of the unrest that could be starting up shortly as people are sick of being isolated they might have to move quickly on it too.

It's ok saying they're too authoritarian in the East as well but look at the US now (Guardian updates) :

From police roadblocks in the Florida Keys, national guard troops knocking on doors in Rhode Island in attempt to “hunt down” New Yorkers, and city leaders nationwide threatening fines for residents found out in the open, the effect of the coronavirus pandemic on personal freedoms was becoming clearer on Saturday, as the death toll continued to rise.

Measures in Rhode Island attracted harsh words from the American Civil Liberties Union, which criticized what it saw as the “blunderbuss approach” of state troopers stopping vehicles from New York and ordering occupants into quarantine.

According to researchers at Johns Hopkins University, New York state led the nation with more than 46,000 confirmed cases by Saturday morning, compared to Rhode Island’s 203.

“Under the Fourth Amendment, having a New York state license plate simply does not, and cannot, constitute probable cause to allow police to stop a car and interrogate the driver, no matter how laudable the goal of the stop may be,” Steven Brown, executive director of the Rhode Island’s ACLU chapter, said in a statement.

“The ACLU recognizes that strong measures are needed to address the public health crisis but giving the state police the power to stop … cars that are merely traveling through the state is a blunderbuss approach that cannot be justified in light of its substantial impact on civil liberties.”

So things are already getting authoritarian. We need to be mass testing and tracing though by the looks of it to start clearing this up. Otherwise we might just have authoritarian for ages and no let up any time soon because new cases aren't being cut down.

23 minutes ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

It’s really hard on extroverts; one of my former colleagues is losing her mind- she cannot stay still unless she is socializing and is always going here and there and knows everyone.

I like a party etc as much as the rest of them.  If it means keeping myself and family safe I'll chose the staying in option rather than being an absolute cunt.

6 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Right, but it's either stay at home or more people die.  It's up to us how we respond as a society collectively. 

Then more people will die, people will not stay in the house for 12 to 18 months, it won’t happen. I’m not saying it’s right or that I agree with it I’m just pointing out what I believe to be the obvious, we’re not even a week in and people are going stir crazy and that’s not even factoring in the impossible economic problems.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Agree in principle but a vaccine is what, 12 to 18 months away? It is simply impossible to enforce lockdown for anywhere near that length of time.

Nor will they.

People will be at home for most of April, then probably again next winter for another month.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You wanted the landlord of the boozer in Speke who opened after the ban to be put in the corona saints thread you fucking blanket. 

I explained to you that was a throwaway remark, a stab at humour and you seemed to except. It's over there go take another look you disingenuous little cunt.

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Then more people will die, people will not stay in the house for 12 to 18 months, it won’t happen. I’m not saying it’s right or that I agree with it I’m just pointing out what I believe to be the obvious, we’re not even a week in and people are going stir crazy.

Those people were not ready for prime time. This is a difficult situation. Putting essential tasks and emergencies aside, if you're not capable of seeing the big picture that it's better to stay where you live for an extended period of time, you need to change your behaviour. 
But these lockdowns won't be continuous, anyway. 

My brother, the selfish cunt, tried to move my at risk mum in to look after his kids so he didn’t need to take time off work or pay for childcare. His Mrs mum had been doing it, but they decided it was too much of a risk for her, so put pressure on my mum to do it, again she is in the at risk category.

One week on and me telling him in no uncertain terms that he’s a cunt and this will not be happening a bloke he looks after, he’s a carer, has died of ‘pneumonia’  I’m paying my mums rent and buying her shopping whilst she isolating as she doesn’t go through the correct HMRC channels and lost all income. Close shave.

I genuinely could kill him.

• Upvote 1

Yeah there's no need at all for us to be thinking about 12-18 months stuck inside in isolation. Our governments for the most part have been fucking stupid, but if the testing and tracing bit starts to click soon (and it should do) we might be well over the worst part of this. And it should never flare up again like it has either because as cases wind down and we learn how to deal with it the right measures next time around if it starts up can clear up any outbreaks a lot faster and before they get out of hand.

8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Then more people will die, people will not stay in the house for 12 to 18 months, it won’t happen. I’m not saying it’s right or that I agree with it I’m just pointing out what I believe to be the obvious, we’re not even a week in and people are going stir crazy and that’s not even factoring in the impossible economic problems.

I share your concerns about civil liberties/civil unrest.  I don't know what the answer is other than don't vote Tory because they're tough on crime and the causes of crime but don't appear to give much of a shit about this virus.  Not a good combo.  

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Those people were not ready for prime time. This is a difficult situation. Putting essential tasks and emergencies aside, if you're not capable of seeing the big picture that it's better to stay where you live for an extended period of time, you need to change your behaviour. 
But these lockdowns won't be continuous, anyway. 

Yes but a lot depends on the quality or lack of it in your home life. It's not a one box fits all situation.

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I share your concerns about civil liberties/civil unrest.  I don't know what the answer is other than don't vote Tory because they're tough on crime and the causes of crime but don't appear to give much of a shit about this virus.  Not a good combo.  

Agreed

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yeah there's no need at all for us to be thinking about 12-18 months stuck inside in isolation. Our governments for the most part have been fucking stupid, but if the testing and tracing bit starts to click soon (and it should do) we might be well over the worst part of this. And it should never flare up again like it has either because as cases wind down and we learn how to deal with it the right measures next time around if it starts up can clear up any outbreaks a lot faster and before they get out of hand.

I admire your optimism.

29 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Hmmm. It strikes me that if anyone was planning a more permanent rollback of freedoms, that this would be the perfect situation for seeing how far you could go. Certainly we're finding out which individuals can be relied upon to toe the government line unquestionably, mentioning no names. 

Don that cape, Captain Liberty. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

We're running at a 50% mortality rate for those admitted into an ICU bed, according to the Guardian. 

That's frightening. 

It's normally lower than that for Covid 19 if the Guardian are correct which they're probably not.

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

We're running at a 50% mortality rate for those admitted into an ICU bed, according to the Guardian. 

That's frightening. 

Not it isn't. It's standard for an ICU. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

My brother, the selfish cunt, tried to move my at risk mum in to look after his kids so he didn’t need to take time off work or pay for childcare. His Mrs mum had been doing it, but they decided it was too much of a risk for her, so put pressure on my mum to do it, again she is in the at risk category.

One week on and me telling him in no uncertain terms that he’s a cunt and this will not be happening a bloke he looks after, he’s a carer, has died of ‘pneumonia’  I’m paying my mums rent and buying her shopping whilst she isolating as she doesn’t go through the correct HMRC channels and lost all income. Close shave.

I genuinely could kill him.

That's pretty bad mate. Don't blame you for being pissed. 

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It's still frightening. 

So swivel. 

Just saying, if you're in an intensive care unit for whatever reason, you've got machines doing the work for your organs. It stands to reason people won't have a good prognosis. It's not a stat to be worried or surprised about. 

Latest graph stats for people interested. I’d recommend following the fella on twitter who posts them as well.