Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 292 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Milk is one of the few things that didn't seem to be in short supply when the initial panic buying set in. If you do run out of anything stick it on here. Someone will always help out if we can.

Cheers bud. Yeah milk seems to be one thing that's good. We go through a shit load as we like a cuppa virtually every hour!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SasaS said:


And I imagine we are arguing the same thing, but if it helps, I am willing to concede defeat.

 

I am not really arguing anything -- the comment was on the "best ever" rating being a little misleading.

He is two tenths of a percentage point above what he was the day he was sworn in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am not really arguing anything -- the comment was on the "best ever" rating being a little misleading.

He is two tenths of a percentage point above what he was the day he was sworn in.

True but at the time he was "riding high" and now, the impression is he is at the lowest point of his presidency, due to the government response, and yet he has the best rating ever, as the result of people rallying around the leader, any leader, in a crisis. Tub of lard would be at 40% right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get some coffee whitener or powered milk or whatever. Had big tubs of it in Costco last time I was there, last you for months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Tub of lard would be at 40% right now.

Actually 55%

 

However, our latest figures show there has been a shift in public approval, with over half (55%) now having a favourable opinion of the Prime Minister and just over third (35%) having an unfavourable opinion. This leaves him with a net score of +20, his highest rating by some distance since becoming leader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

In the UK, maybe - doubtful, but maybe.

 

Worldwide there are definitely countries that will suppress information. They have been doing for a long, long time, why would they stop now?

Why doubtful? We have a system open to scrutiny. There are thousands who have access to the clinical coding metadata (which is, usually, published about 3 months after a period - will likely take longer for this period).  There will be major studies to review cases potentially not captured (most obviously those not tested) and those captured who may have died for unrelated reasons (a much smaller number).

 

It boggles my mind why people want to engage in hysterical conspiracy rather than look at the obvious need to keep up the pressure for testing, contact tracing and availability of PPE.

 

Similarly with the modelling, numbers have dropped massively because we are now observing social distancing (Professor Ferguson was quoting 400,000 as a possibility a month ago - don't believe he was an exponent of the herd immunity bollocks - which really needs an inquest when all is said and done). Due to the incubation period we know there will be AT LEAST a two week period before genuine new cases likely level off, let alone drop. Even then testing will take time to catch up with the curve of actual cases. Numbers rising does not mean it isn't working.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Get some coffee whitener or powered milk or whatever. Had big tubs of it in Costco last time I was there, last you for months. 

It's sound in a brew. You can tell it's not proper milk but it's entirely palatable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pidge

 

It boggles my mind why people want to engage in hysterical conspiracy rather than look at the obvious need to keep up the pressure for testing, contact tracing and availability of PPE.

 

I wouldn't say questioning the reporting at this time is a hysterical conspiracy theory and I imagine the vast majority of anyone questioning that would also be advocating to keep up the pressure. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Pidge

 

It boggles my mind why people want to engage in hysterical conspiracy rather than look at the obvious need to keep up the pressure for testing, contact tracing and availability of PPE.

 

I wouldn't say questioning the reporting at this time is a hysterical conspiracy and I imagine the vast majority of anyone questioning that would also be advocating to keep up the pressure. 

Fair enough but I think it splits and undermines focus on things that actually need it, personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Why doubtful? We have a system open to scrutiny. There are thousands who have access to the clinical coding metadata (which is, usually, published about 3 months after a period - will likely take longer for this period).  There will be major studies to review cases potentially not captured (most obviously those not tested) and those captured who may have died for unrelated reasons (a much smaller number).

 

It boggles my mind why people want to engage in hysterical conspiracy rather than look at the obvious need to keep up the pressure for testing, contact tracing and availability of PPE.

 

Similarly with the modelling, numbers have dropped massively because we are now observing social distancing (Professor Ferguson was quoting 400,000 as a possibility a month ago - don't believe he was an exponent of the herd immunity bollocks - which really needs an inquest when all is said and done). Due to the incubation period we know there will be AT LEAST a two week period before genuine new cases likely level off, let alone drop. Even then testing will take time to catch up with the curve of actual cases. Numbers rising does not mean it isn't working.

I think when something so out of the normal happens some people find comfort in having a ‘baddie’ to blame and focus on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah cheers bro. We've been doing a weekly shop and the missus suggested we go into lock down ourselves after doing ours next week.

 

Im thinking of going no sooner than next Wednesday then after that, stay in for as long as we can. Food wise we'd be ok and when the milk runs out, we'd just have to drink plain tea. You just dont want to get to a position where you have little food left so when you need to go shopping, there's fuck all left.

 

Stay safe.

Although my daughter was able to go the corner shop because her lockdown finished last weekend, today is the 1st time I've been the shops for just on 2 weeks due to family isolation. The big Asda by us was mental and I drove to a little one we have, which was ok. I was quite surprised how well stocked the shelves were. I couldn't get everything, but it was way better than 2 weeks ago. For milk I got a 6 Pinter and it had a date of 9th April on it.l, so it'll do me for a while. You're right, you don't want to leave nothing in your cupboard, but I am hopeful the mentalness of the empty shelves is coming to an end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Fuck me, 260 deaths just announced today. It's increasing exponentially. And still you have tits turning up at places going on 'holiday.'

 

Being a bit of a drama queen I know but Im starting to drift between states of 'it'll be ok' and being scared. Trying not to show it to the missus and my lad who lives with us.

 

I suggested to the missus that only I go out and do the shopping this coming week. It cuts the risk of exposure to just one of us and I can whizz around Asda quicker than she can because she spends a fucking age pondering to buy this brand or that, whether we need or like it or whether it's the best cut of meat she can find.

 

Worrying fucking times.

Nothing wrong at all in any of that. It's a sensible approach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So just talking to a mate who is involved in some aspects of the planning. He thinks London is likely to go on further lockdown on Monday. Some issues ahead down there. He told me they're out of ventilators and 2 hospitals are now out of capacity and the new hospital won't be usable for staffing reasons in time. When the additional lock down is in place, the army will be providing street checkpoints. So take that as you will. 

 

It's interesting just listening to this update. The guy covering the NHS was very careful with his words, saying things like there are ICU beds in London. No mention of equipment though. No mention that some hospitals are full. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×