Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 290 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

3 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Saw this yesterday. Very insightful.

This is more baseless propaganda for me. The guy even said "hazarded a guess" and this makes the cut for the news?  Hazarding a guess just isn't good enough. Throwing around numbers like 20,000 on a whim just isn't good enough.  It downplays the seriousness of the situation. 

38 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

You mean like an actual lockdown unlike the sham one we're currently in?

Hmm.You may be right, herd immunity by stealth, however lockdowns have consequences, it can very quickly escalate to a big brother situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-derbyshire-52055201

Got to be careful the cure dosnt do more damage than the virus. The red cross are predicting unrest in major European cities as the poor have little income or escape. 

It's ok to preach restraint and the stay at home for 3 month mantra if you're an Ian Duncan Smith type with tennis courts and swimming pools in your garden, bit different if you live on the tenth floor of a high rise with a couple of kids and no money.

Also its humane to protect the old and vulnerable but it's the youngsters who are going to foot the bill. Youngsters who already have a bad rap economically. Maybe the government should float the idea a 50% inheritance tax, see how generous and appreciative the older generation are.

29 minutes ago, TK421 said:

This is more baseless propaganda for me. The guy even said "hazarded a guess" and this makes the cut for the news?  Hazarding a guess just isn't good enough. Throwing around numbers like 20,000 on a whim just isn't good enough.  It downplays the seriousness of the situation. 

To be fair, the only thing we can do is guess as no one has a clue as we have not been testing or contact tracing.

Germany are testing 500k a week.

On 18th March, we said we'd be doing 25k a day. That was 10 fucking days ago.

I'd be amazed if we're even hitting 5k.

We're clapping our NHS workers, but still failing to give them the PPE they need or testing them.

Matt Cuntcock said everyone would receive latest by last Sunday at the latest, yet frontline staff, chemists and careworkers are still risking their lives due to little or no protection.

I know today the government announced that they are now going to test NHS, but it's like everything else done so far, far too late.

Be interesting to see if Italy and Spain start hitting 1k+ death tolls daily in the next couple of days.

As we all know instead of being pro-active, they are doing exactly the opposite after seeing primarily data from Italy, forcing them to deviate from the moronic plan they seem to be on.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Saw this yesterday. Very insightful.

That's interesting but does not really answer my question. I see more an more people questioning the official death figures everywhere, without actually looking at any figures (total deaths, corona attributed deaths etc).

Head of the German Koch Institute said a week ago that the number of unrecorded Corona deaths (died at home, died but not tested, positive but death attributed to other conditions) would not significantly alter German death numbers.

If Italy recorded 64,000 deaths in the last 30 days (I am working with statistical average only here), that would suggest official numbers are correct in showing 9,000 excess deaths, as they are called in the Sky video. If Italy had for example, over 70,000 deaths, it would suggest they have many more Corona deaths than they are admitting. The problem is, nobody seems to care to analyze this.

Which is all extremely baffling given how many people have seemingly expert opinions on that in the media alone, not to mention us on forums and on social media.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Same in Italy. Probably the same in many other countries.

Was watching an interview with some fella saying that everything is pointing towards people actually really wanting technocratic style "do this" governments. Even if just in moments like these.

16 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

To be fair, the only thing we can do is guess as no one has a clue as we have not been testing or contact tracing.

I just think it's deeply irresponsible throwing these numbers around and terrifying that the likes of Neil Ferguson are shaping government policy. 

This will all come home to roost in the next few weeks and the months ahead when, in my opinion, the numbers will spiral out of control. 

7 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Same in Italy. Probably the same in many other countries.

Was watching an interview with some fella saying that everything is pointing towards people actually really wanting technocratic style "do this" governments. Even if just in moments like these.

It's the same in the US, Trump has the best ever approval rate despite the economic meltdown and quite obvious lack of leadership. In times of crisis people rally around the existing leaders for a while, it's the same in wars. Psychology.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Fucking hell. 

I've just seen that #clapforBoris thing on Twitter. 

Daft cunts. 

Now thats the kind of shit that requires a pack of lions and a Panzer division 

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It's the same in the US, Trump has the best ever approval rate despite the economic meltdown and quite obvious lack of leadership. In times of crisis people rally around the existing leaders for a while, it's the same in wars. Psychology.

A little context is important here - he has had the lowest approval ratings of any President for nearly his entire term, his"best ever" approval rating is still below half of voters.

Regardless, the 3-point increase in his approval rating so far is not much of a bump, certainly not the kind of increase other presidents have seen in other rally-around-the-flag moments, pollsters say.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

A little context is important here - he has had the lowest approval ratings of any President for nearly his entire term, his"best ever" approval rating is still below half of voters.

Regardless, the 3-point increase in his approval rating so far is not much of a bump, certainly not the kind of increase other presidents have seen in other rally-around-the-flag moments, pollsters say.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, clangers said:

It's another 2,500 or so new cases I think?

Yes. You're more likely right than I am. I was skim reading the Guardian live feed and the 769 should have been 759 and, on second reading, this was the total deaths as of yesterday, rather than today's new cases. My bad. 

Next week looks like it could be fairly horrendous.