Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 255 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

Are the deaths all down on the Italian border? 

Yeah being blamed on Italians fleeing before lockdown.

Concentration of cases in Verbier. Doctors there asking for region to be shut down.

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

They have 44 deaths on 2,500 cases, which would indicate that testing, though not on the level of Germany or Korea, must be well ahead of Italy, Spain, France or UK. 

It doesn't appear so from this link.   14,300 tests as of 17th March puts them well behind UK. 

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing-source-data

7 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Switzerland are in deep shit.

Total population of only 8.5m, nearly 11k cases, 153 deaths, 31 increase from day before.

They'll probably have a good few massive peaks too. 

Just now, SasaS said:

Not really, if you account for the population size.

Fine, if you extrapolate their number of tests to cover the whole population it puts them about on par with the UK. But the UK isn't testing nearly enough.  You can't fight a virus you can't see.  Sweden are not setting a good example, in my opinion.  

34 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

And there’s no point announcing it in the night as there’s probably more in the morning, no point announcing it in the morning as there’s probably more in the afternoon..................etc etc etc etc

Don’t be daft, they are obviously just waiting for final numbers for the day before announcing the figures. 

Today is 13 for Wales, NI & Scotland. Nothing for England yet.

8 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Fine, if you extrapolate their number of tests to cover the whole population it puts them about on par with the UK. But the UK isn't testing nearly enough.  You can't fight a virus you can't see.  Sweden are not setting a good example, in my opinion.  

Well it does not put them about on a par, it puts them at about twice the number of tests in the UK, if you account for the two day difference. Which is not that important, number of deaths is.

If they can continue more or less at the same rate, it would show that they have managed to strike a balance between restrictions and normal life. This could be important because this may be what life in the rest of Europe would look like once the curve flattens somewhat and lockdowns are lifted in a month or so. We will not be able to stay in lockdown forever, we will have to learn how to live with all this.

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Well it does not put them about on a par, it puts them at about twice the number of tests in the UK, if you account for the two day difference. Which is not that important, number of deaths is.

If they can continue more or less at the same rate, it would show that they have managed to strike a balance between restrictions and normal life. This could be important because this may be what life in the rest of Europe would look like once the curve flattens somewhat and lockdowns are lifted in a month or so. We will not be able to stay in lockdown forever, we will have to learn how to live with all this.

I'm not sure your figures are correct.  

But assuming they are, I still wouldn't hold Sweden up as an example of how to win at Coronavirus.  Keeping bars open is fucking stupid, for example.  

Let's revisit this post in a few months if we're both still alive?  If you think a month of lockdown is going to sort this out you're in la la land, in my opinion.  Even Boris Johnson is talking about 12 weeks of isolation etc.  

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I'm not sure your figures are correct.  

But assuming they are, I still wouldn't hold Sweden up as an example of how to win at Coronavirus.  Keeping bars open is fucking stupid, for example.  

Let's revisit this post in a few months if we're both still alive?  If you think a month of lockdown is going to sort this out you're in la la land, in my opinion.  Even Boris Johnson is talking about 12 weeks of isolation etc.  

There are not my figures, they are your figures, from the link you provided, I have just interpreted them for you.

There is absolutely no way the world will survive months of total isolation you are talking about, there would be total breakdown in social order and in that case, the world would just let vulnerable die. In millions. Because they would die anyway. You can in fact practice social distancing without total isolation, once you organize the entire society along those lines and if you have responsible population.

And once healthcare systems are able to cope with the number of hospitalized and critically ill whilst providing non-corona related care for the rest of the population, this is exactly what will happen. We will learn how to live with it, until the vaccine is introduced.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

There are not my figures, they are your figures, from the link you provided, I have just interpreted them for you.

There is absolutely no way the world will survive months of total isolation you are talking about, there would be total breakdown in social order and in that case, the world would just let vulnerable die. In millions. Because they would die anyway. You can in fact practice social distancing without total isolation, once you organize the entire society along those lines and if you have responsible population.

And once healthcare systems are able to cope with the number of hospitalized and critically ill whilst providing non-corona related care for the rest of the population, this is exactly what will happen. We will learn how to live with it, until the vaccine is introduced.  

I know they're my figures, I just don't agree with your interpretation.

If you think "normal" is coming back anytime soon you're in for a big wake-up call, I reckon.  Responsible population, eh?  Is that what we're seeing at the moment?   Don't make me laugh. 

Just now, TK421 said:

I know they're my figures, I just don't agree with your interpretation.

If you think "normal" is coming back anytime soon you're in for a big wake-up call, I reckon.  Responsible population, eh?  Is that what we're seeing at the moment?   Don't make me laugh. 

Well, you cannot just say you don't agree with my interpretation without doing the numbers yourself. 

I'm not saying normal is coming back, I'm saying there will be a new normal for a while, the societies will adapt and learn how to cope. It will be test of character for nations, that is true. More responsibility, less restrictions. You can do it now in an ideal situation you have not too many idiots. We won't be sitting at home for months on end until this is somehow over, because the price of that would become too high.

Just now, SasaS said:

Well, you cannot just say you don't agree with my interpretation without doing the numbers yourself. 

I'm not saying normal is coming back, I'm saying there will be a new normal for a while, the societies will adapt and learn how to cope. It will be test of character for nations, that is true. More responsibility, less restrictions. You can do it now in an ideal situation you have not too many idiots. We won't be sitting at home for months on end until this is somehow over, because the price of that would become too high.

Yes i can.  I disagree with your interpretation.  See, there.

I agree that societies will adapt and cope, but they will learn a fuckin' harsh lesson first.  Especially Europe/USA, where the mindset has to completely change to even stand a chance of beating this virus. No masks + letting people on packed tube trains = not winning. 

6 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Haven't they just fucked off on holiday for a month? So they're not going to be passing legislation anytime soon? Just more bluster without substance from the Eton mess. 

10 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Yes i can.  I disagree with your interpretation.  See, there.

I agree that societies will adapt and cope, but they will learn a fuckin' harsh lesson first.  Especially Europe/USA, where the mindset has to completely change to even stand a chance of beating this virus. No masks + letting people on packed tube trains = not winning. 

They will learn quickly. Rather than cut the number of tube trains, you should increase them, install counters or have people count passengers so instead of 250 people you will have 40, all wearing masks and gloves, with enough space between them. Same on trains and coaches. Shops can stay open 24 hours, so people don't crowd in them. Manufacturing workers that cannot work from home will work in 4 six-hour daily shifts to allow them to distance when commuting and at work, and so on.

They might be waiting for HRH Charles to die (or pass it on to his ma) so they can bury it in bad news. 

edit - today's numbers that is

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

They will learn quickly. Rather than cut the number of tube lines, you should increase them, install counters or have people count passengers so instead of 250 people you will have 40, all wearing masks and gloves, with enough space between them. Same on trains and coaches. Shops can stay open 24 hours, so people don't crowd in them. Manufacturing workers that cannot work from home will work in 4 six-hour daily shifts to allow them to distance when commuting and at work, and so on.

I wish I had your optimism.  I think this will be a slow and painful lesson in the UK and much of Europe.  Some of your ideas there are good, but our governments are doing the opposite of these things.  We are discouraged from wearing masks, there is social stigma and ridicule (I've already been called an Altern8 fan, WTF is wrong with Altern8?)  and a misplaced belief that masks do nothing. 

The leadership leaves too much to be desired.  This will be a long-running clusterfuck, for my money, with a lot of deaths.  

3 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Including 4 more doctors. Wtf is going on when front line responders cannot be kept safe ? Also the UK gov asking retirees to help out seems somewhat reckless.

I wonder how many of these are of retirement age and over. If so, it's pretty reckless. Be interesting to know if some of these retired early or fucked off for other reasons.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Haven't they just fucked off on holiday for a month? So they're not going to be passing legislation anytime soon? Just more bluster without substance from the Eton mess. 

Won’t there be something in the emergency legislation they’ve passed today to allow them to do it?

Just now, Anubis said:

Won’t there be something in the emergency legislation they’ve passed today to allow them to do it?

Dunno, maybe. I thought that was just about lockdowns, but I could be wrong about that..