You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, moof said:

So what you’re saying is, if we could just have a bit of a pandemic from time to time climate change would be solved. Just once a year a nice little pandemic that brings the world to a standstill. Hey, I like where you’re going with this. Keep that line of thought

Well, it would be nice if we could have the environmental improvements without the killer disease. 

I am already thinking about the post-corona landscape. I think working from home will become much more commonplace, the genie is out of the bottle there. Hopefully people will learn the lessons about disease prevention and persist with better personal hygiene.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You make it sound like I haven't been calling for massive investment in clean energy technologies for decades.

Could this be factored in when Dave U writes his 1986 match report?

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Could this be factored in when Dave U writes his 1986 match report?

1986 possibly too early for that, but would probably take in 7 year old me's excoriation of the new McDonald's drive thru for encouraging needless car use.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

1986 possibly too early for that, but would probably take in 7 year old me's excoriation of the new McDonald's drive thru for encouraging needless car use.

I'm sure 7 year old you was fuming about excessive car use. Utter fucking rubbish. Unless you saw someone get a better toy car in their happy meal of course. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm sure 7 year old you was fuming about excessive car use. Utter fucking rubbish. Unless you saw someone get a better toy car in their happy meal of course. 

Cars? In happy meals? I feel like I have lived a deprived childhood. All I remember getting is plastic dolls and key rings.

Are you sure you got cars?

Edit: Anyone who got cars can fuck off! I never knew that!

191031174341-mcdonalds-happy-meal-5-exla

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

Cars? In happy meals? I feel like I have lived a deprived childhood. All I remember getting is plastic dolls and key rings.

I never ate McDonalds as a kid. Or jaffa cakes. Took me until adulthood to appreciate the value of a couple of double cheeseburgers on a hangover. 

Actually, tell a lie, I remember a couple of visits to McDonalds when I was very young and always used to kick off about gherkins. Oh and excessive use of certain chemical agents in the latrines. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I never ate McDonalds as a kid. Or jaffa cakes. Took me until adulthood to appreciate the value of a couple of double cheeseburgers on a hangover. 

Actually, tell a lie, I remember a couple of visits to McDonalds when I was very young and always used to kick off about gherkins. Oh and excessive use of certain chemical agents in the latrines. 

I loved their 99p double cheeseburgers! They were the adult happy meal! I might have to buy some baps, burgers and cheese slices for a trip down memory lane (in the plastic car that I hope to get in the bag).

40 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

12,000 deaths a year in the UK from NO2 pollution:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/23/uk-has-second-highest-number-of-deaths-from-no2-pollution-in-europe

(Italy is the worst in Europe, incidentally, which is doubtless a contributory factor to their virus problem)

Now look at current NO2 levels:

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/latest/currentlevels

Green across the board.

Coronavirus is a horrible thing which is killing people. But it's also going to save lives elsewhere.

Can we all agree up front you’re not allowed to deduct annual pollution deaths from the final Coronavirus death toll, in order to bolster your seasonal flu shout?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bjornebye said:

You obviously didn't know 7 year old me.

I can't remember exactly when the Edge Lane McDonald's opened, but I was in primary school at the time so I was between 7 and 9. Our school was on Edge Lane, and McDonald's had evidently been in touch with local schools to spread the good word, and as part of this we all were asked to write about how great it was that a new McDonald's was opening nearby.

As I recall, I was the only one who wrote a piece criticising them for encouraging meat consumption and car use, and for using unrecyclable polystyrene containers. The teacher said I was entitled to my opinion.

1 minute ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Can we all agree up front you’re not allowed to deduct annual pollution deaths from the final Coronavirus death toll, in order to bolster your seasonal flu shout?

Fine, but I think they should count in the event of a tie.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You obviously didn't know 7 year old me.

I can't remember exactly when the Edge Lane McDonald's opened, but I was in primary school at the time so I was between 7 and 9. Our school was on Edge Lane, and McDonald's had evidently been in touch with local schools to spread the good word, and as part of this we all were asked to write about how great it was that a new McDonald's was opening nearby.

As I recall, I was the only one who wrote a piece criticising them for encouraging meat consumption and car use, and for using unrecyclable polystyrene containers. The teacher said I was entitled to my opinion.

I bet you were still a tit. 

I still don't believe you but fair play if you are telling the truth. 

And your teacher was right. 

14 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Edit: Anyone who got cars can fuck off! I never knew that!

191031174341-mcdonalds-happy-meal-5-exla

Pissed on Happy Meal toys, this.

D8982A18-CC4F-42FD-85F8-569E9F3E3178.jpeg

• Upvote 1