Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 219 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

Since I saw the pictures of the gleaming Venice canals stuffed with fish, dolphins in Sardinia, and given the massive reduction in air pollution now that almost nobody is flying and very few people are travelling anywhere, I've been wondering why, in the mad panic about virus deaths, nobody has been factoring in the concomitant improvement in environmental conditions and the effect that will have on human health.

 

Well, it turns out some people have been doing those calculations, and:

 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/17/air-pollution-likely-to-increase-coronavirus-death-rate-warn-experts

 

Quote

However, strict confinement measures in China, where the coronavirus outbreak began, and in Italy, Europe’s most affected nation, have led to falls in air pollution as fewer vehicles are driven and industrial emissions fall.

A preliminary calculation by a US expert suggests that tens of thousands of premature deaths from air pollution may have been avoided by the cleaner air in China, far higher than the 3,208 coronavirus deaths.

 

Obviously it's too soon for a Coronavirus Positivity Thread, but it's surely encouraging that, even while the virus is taking its toll, there will be considerable human health gains too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Since I saw the pictures of the gleaming Venice canals stuffed with fish and dolphins, and given the massive reduction in air pollution now that almost nobody is flying and very few people are travelling anywhere, I've been wondering why, in the mad panic about virus deaths, nobody has been factoring in the concomitant improvement in environmental conditions and the effect that will have on human health.

 

Well, it turns out some people have been doing those calculations, and:

 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/17/air-pollution-likely-to-increase-coronavirus-death-rate-warn-experts

 

 

 

 

Obviously it's too soon for a Coronavirus Positivity Thread, but it's surely encouraging that, even while the virus is taking its toll, there will be considerable human health gains too.

Yep 100%. A chance for the Earth to heal itself a bit. 

 

Obviously for the Earth to have the best chance of getting back to full health it needs every human being to be wiped out completely. Even Archer from Scum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been for a little social distancing compliant walk and, from my experience, it looks like people are paying a bit more attention to the social distancing stuff. People walking in the middle of the road when people were on the pavements on each side of the streets and just making visibly obvious measures to not walk close to each other. 

 

Apart from the workies I walked past, all huddled round the same table for their tea break. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Most of the supposed Venice pictures are bollocks, the dolphin stuff was 100% bollocks.

Obviously. The fish ones and clearer water aren't though. I watched an interview on CNN with a fella whose lived there all his life. He said its the cleanest he has seen the water. Common sense tells you that it will be clearer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Obviously. The fish ones and clearer water aren't though. I watched an interview on CNN with a fella whose lived there all his life. He said its the cleanest he has seen the water. Common sense tells you that it will be clearer. 

These reports of wildlife triumphs in countries hard-hit by the novel coronavirus got hundreds of thousands of retweets. They went viral on Instagram and Tik Tok. They made news headlines. If there’s a silver lining of the pandemic, people said, this was it—animals were bouncing back, running free in a humanless world.

But it wasn’t real.

The swans in the viral posts regularly appear in the canals of Burano, a small island in the greater Venice metropolitan area, where the photos were taken. The “Venetian” dolphins were filmed at a port in Sardinia, in the Mediterranean Sea, hundreds of miles away. No one has figured out where the drunken elephant photos came from, but a Chinese news report debunked the viral posts: While elephants did recently come through a village in Yunnan Province, China, their presence isn’t out of the norm, they aren’t the elephants in the viral photos, and they didn’t get drunk and pass out in a tea field.

 

 

National Geographic.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

These reports of wildlife triumphs in countries hard-hit by the novel coronavirus got hundreds of thousands of retweets. They went viral on Instagram and Tik Tok. They made news headlines. If there’s a silver lining of the pandemic, people said, this was it—animals were bouncing back, running free in a humanless world.

But it wasn’t real.

The swans in the viral posts regularly appear in the canals of Burano, a small island in the greater Venice metropolitan area, where the photos were taken. The “Venetian” dolphins were filmed at a port in Sardinia, in the Mediterranean Sea, hundreds of miles away. No one has figured out where the drunken elephant photos came from, but a Chinese news report debunked the viral posts: While elephants did recently come through a village in Yunnan Province, China, their presence isn’t out of the norm, they aren’t the elephants in the viral photos, and they didn’t get drunk and pass out in a tea field.

 

 

National Geographic.

Fuck all about mermaids. What does the National geographic now eh. Eh? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Not as fit as his avatar, is he?

 

Get well, Pissy. I'll try to step up my Rico-annoying game while you're recovering.

Best wishes to you and your family lad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

They can’t do that though, unless she’s not been there long.  

 

 

She should print out this post and take it with her to the tribunal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12,000 deaths a year in the UK from NO2 pollution:

 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/23/uk-has-second-highest-number-of-deaths-from-no2-pollution-in-europe

 

(Italy is the worst in Europe, incidentally, which is doubtless a contributory factor to their virus problem)

 

Now look at current NO2 levels:

 

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/latest/currentlevels

 

Green across the board.

 

Coronavirus is a horrible thing which is killing people. But it's also going to save lives elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Next are to close all their stores from 6pm tonight. 

 

Their online stuff will carry on. But ask A Red if you're allowed to buy any jeans before placing an order. 

Oooh sniping!

 

Still waiting for your answer in the online shopping thread. I guess I wont get one as you cant be seen to lose face. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

12,000 deaths a year in the UK from NO2 pollution:

 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/23/uk-has-second-highest-number-of-deaths-from-no2-pollution-in-europe

 

(Italy is the worst in Europe, incidentally, which is doubtless a contributory factor to their virus problem)

 

Now look at current NO2 levels:

 

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/latest/currentlevels

 

Green across the board.

 

Coronavirus is a horrible thing which is killing people. But it's also going to save lives elsewhere.

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

12,000 deaths a year in the UK from NO2 pollution:

 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/23/uk-has-second-highest-number-of-deaths-from-no2-pollution-in-europe

 

(Italy is the worst in Europe, incidentally, which is doubtless a contributory factor to their virus problem)

 

Now look at current NO2 levels:

 

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/latest/currentlevels

 

Green across the board.

 

Coronavirus is a horrible thing which is killing people. But it's also going to save lives elsewhere.

So what you’re saying is, if we could just have a bit of a pandemic from time to time climate change would be solved. Just once a year a nice little pandemic that brings the world to a standstill. Hey, I like where you’re going with this. Keep that line of thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, moof said:

So what you’re saying is, if we could just have a bit of a pandemic from time to time climate change would be solved. Just once a year a nice little pandemic that brings the world to a standstill. Hey, I like where you’re going with this. Keep that line of thought

No he is just looking for angles to justify his ridiculous embarrassed comment knowing he hasn't got the capability ever to backtrack on anything he says. He wrongly believes he is perfect and only speaks in facts despite being proven wrong on numerous occasions. Clearly lacking in any humility. A self-absorbed, lying, cowardly barm-pot. 

 

He is right about the planet being better off with less human activity though. But its not like it isn't fucking glaringly obvious. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×