You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

54 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Just got off the phone to my sister who is in tears.

She works for a private sector company, 35 hours per week and had been working from home since last Monday.

Her manager sent her a text early this morning for her to be in the office.

She's been laid off. They're paying her a months wages (her payday was Friday gone) and they're giving her redundancy (another months wages).

She pleaded with them to keep her on unpaid so that government could cover her wages and they said no as her 'job was at risk before the outbreak'.

She has 2 boys of 14 and 12 to support.

Evil fucking cunts.

Care to name the company mate? I'm trying to ensure that I fuck these sort of business off

It's weird, the same people who are bleating on about botched Government action are the first who would have complained if the country had been put into total lock down back in January. And by total lock down, I mean not going out, closing airports and ports to all arrivals etc.

My son's mother in law (my sister in law?) and her partner rocked up at the airport on Wednesday to fly off to Spain for a 'holiday.' They got as far as the boarding gate before being told go home. Seriously, what stupid fuck wants to fly to Spain where the situation is worse than here for a holiday right now?

The fact is, the NHS is doing a great job. Italy has 3 times the number of critical care beds and it is overwhelmed. It doesnt matter how good your health service is, in a pandemic it will get overrun and not be able to cope. The unpalatable fact is, it's just a question of when.

Political parties instead of trying to score political point when the World is in crisis really should stop and think. It's not just us.

Stay safe people.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Political parties instead of trying to score political point when the World is in crisis really should stop and think. It's not just us.

I don't think we've seen much of this. 

I think we've seen necessary interventions to ensure that those who have been overlooked by the government are being looked after too. Which, following these interventions, they usually are. 

Part of this is down to the government being reactive rather than proactive. Bring reactive is to be expected in some situations in a fluid, changing scenario. But, it's also crystal clear that the government's preparation has been poor in some areas - such as only sending PPE out to hospitals now, rather than in advance of the expected peak and only asking for manufacturers to make ventilators from about last week when we've known since late January that this virus was on its way to us. Failures in preparation and government blind spots have made opposition political intervention necessary. 

1 hour ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Just got off the phone to my sister who is in tears.

She works for a private sector company, 35 hours per week and had been working from home since last Monday.

Her manager sent her a text early this morning for her to be in the office.

She's been laid off. They're paying her a months wages (her payday was Friday gone) and they're giving her redundancy (another months wages).

She pleaded with them to keep her on unpaid so that government could cover her wages and they said no as her 'job was at risk before the outbreak'.

She has 2 boys of 14 and 12 to support.

Evil fucking cunts.

They can’t do that though, unless she’s not been there long.  

44 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's weird, the same people who are bleating on about botched Government action are the first who would have complained if the country had been put into total lock down back in January. And by total lock down, I mean not going out, closing airports and ports to all arrivals etc.

My son's mother in law (my sister in law?) and her partner rocked up at the airport on Wednesday to fly off to Spain for a 'holiday.' They got as far as the boarding gate before being told go home. Seriously, what stupid fuck wants to fly to Spain where the situation is worse than here for a holiday right now?

The fact is, the NHS is doing a great job. Italy has 3 times the number of critical care beds and it is overwhelmed. It doesnt matter how good your health service is, in a pandemic it will get overrun and not be able to cope. The unpalatable fact is, it's just a question of when.

Stay safe people.

You cant be that ignorant surely?  

I've been getting some of these symptoms lately, (along swollen glands in my throat so not totally sure what's happening at the moment), so am just linking for anyone else that has anxiety issues. Or even people that might be getting anxiety problems for the first time seeing as we're in a global pandemic now : Your anxiety can produce symptoms that make you think you have coronavirus

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I think (hope) I may have had it with extremely minor symptoms. My 20 month old had quite bad gastroentritis (GI) and a temperature, an now the 9 year old has the same. The missus phoned work and the doctor there said that GI is a very common manifestation of the virus now, especially in kids. 

As the 20 years old is always sharing his saliva with you in one way or another, so I think I I've had it, or I'm not getting it.

I don’t think now is the time to be sharing saliva with 20 year olds you kinky bastard. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I've been getting some of these symptoms lately, (along swollen glands in my throat so not totally sure what's happening at the moment), so am just linking for anyone else that has anxiety issues. Or even people that might be getting anxiety problems for the first time seeing as we're in a global pandemic now : Your anxiety can produce symptoms that make you think you have coronavirus

I've had a cough. But, also with some acid reflux. And I'm waiting for a prescription of Omeprazole. So, despite initial concerns, I've put it down to that. 

On the anxiety point, it's a bit of a pain that the virus peak coincides with a time of the year when people's allergies (and some of the similar, albeit lesser, symptoms of coronavirus) kick in. 

• Upvote 1

Almost two thirds of patients who fall seriously ill from coronavirus are obese, data shows as medics warn overweight people are more likely to die from the disease.

A report revealed 63 per cent of patients in intensive care in UK hospitals because of the killer virus are overweight, obese or morbidly obese. 

Studies have shown obese people are more likely to suffer serious complications or die from infections, such as the flu. 

Doctors say the immune systems of fat people are constantly ramped up as they try to protect and repair the damage inflammation causes to cells. 

Using all its energy fending off inflammation means the body's defence system has few resources left to defend against a new infection like COVID-19. 

Obese people also tend to eat a diet with very little fiber and antioxidants - which keep the immune system healthy - such as fruit and vegetables.   

Excess weight makes it more difficult for the diaphragm and lungs to expand and inhale oxygen. Starved of oxygen, organs will begin to fail.

These factors may explain why obese people's lungs tend to deteriorate faster when the new coronavirus strikes, compared to a healthy person. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8142005/Being-obese-raises-coronavirus-risk-Medics-warn-patients-high-BMI-likely-die.html

Obesity rates among adults in the UK have almost quadrupled in the last 25 years, and now around 1 in 4 fall into this category. What's more, over 60% of adults are classed as overweight or obese, leaving only 40% of women and 33% of UK men.

https://www.healthexpress.co.uk/obesity/uk-statistics

7 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I've had a cough. But, also with some acid reflux. And I'm waiting for a prescription of Omeprazole. So, despite initial concerns, I've put it down to that. 

On the anxiety point, it's a bit of a pain that the virus peak coincides with a time of the year when people's allergies (and some of the similar, albeit lesser, symptoms of coronavirus) kick in. 

Yeah there's probably tons of people with other stuff that are convinced they have coronavirus at the moment. Hope your cough clears up too, and here I'm going to hope that even thought I have throat pain/swollen glands it doesn't turn into a cough.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Going by criteria I would assume most people are classified as overweight.

I am 6 feet tall, pretty good shape, play footy every week.

Last time I was at the GP he told me my target weight should be 175 pounds. Not weighed that since I was in high school

Your BMI at 175lbs  would be 23.7, a far cry from the 40+ that they say is a high risk. You would have to reach about 300lbs to have a BMI of 40+ For someone 5'2" that's about 220lbs.

Using my eyes I can see on a daily basis that there are people out there that are considerably overweight and it's not a shock that it's unhealthy. You don't need a BMI measurement to know that. Hopefully they don't get this virus and this gives some that jolt they need to clean up their eating habits. 

8 minutes ago, davelfc said:

Your BMI at 175lbs  would be 23.7, a far cry from the 40+ that they say is a high risk. You would have to reach about 300lbs to have a BMI of 40+

Using my eyes I can see on a daily basis that there are people out there that are considerably overweight and it's not a shock that it's unhealthy. Hopefully they don't get this and this gives some that jolt they need to clean up their eating habits. 

Yea, there is no question that obesity is a problem - just commenting on how some of these criteria are wank, and I think changing. Cholesterol levels deemed necessary for treatment have come down and a shedload more qualify as a type 2 diabetic than 10 years ago.

It is so they can get prescribed drugs to be covered by insurance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Political parties instead of trying to score political point

It would not be a bad idea for elected folks everywhere to step away from the mic and let professionals handle the message.

Professional:

Dr Jerome Adams, the operational head of the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (PHSCC), was speaking to NBC News’ Today programme, where he said: “I want America to understand this week it’s going to get bad. We really need to come together as a nation...we really really need everyone to stay at home.”

Amateur:

US President Donald Trump claimed at a White House briefing last week that the Food and Drug Administration had approved the "very powerful" drug chloroquine to treat coronavirus.

Since I saw the pictures of the gleaming Venice canals stuffed with fish, dolphins in Sardinia, and given the massive reduction in air pollution now that almost nobody is flying and very few people are travelling anywhere, I've been wondering why, in the mad panic about virus deaths, nobody has been factoring in the concomitant improvement in environmental conditions and the effect that will have on human health.

Well, it turns out some people have been doing those calculations, and:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/17/air-pollution-likely-to-increase-coronavirus-death-rate-warn-experts

However, strict confinement measures in China, where the coronavirus outbreak began, and in Italy, Europe’s most affected nation, have led to falls in air pollution as fewer vehicles are driven and industrial emissions fall.

A preliminary calculation by a US expert suggests that tens of thousands of premature deaths from air pollution may have been avoided by the cleaner air in China, far higher than the 3,208 coronavirus deaths.

Obviously it's too soon for a Coronavirus Positivity Thread, but it's surely encouraging that, even while the virus is taking its toll, there will be considerable human health gains too.

• Upvote 1