You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Had it for the second time last week.  First time I was close to being admitted to hospital and the only thing that stopped it was 111 telling me they would send an ambulance but they had none to send and the hospitals were full to the rafters (this was before any vaccines had been created).  This time, apart from a few sore joints and lethargy I managed to get through okay.  The worst thing was having to work from home with the kids acting up during the school holidays.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

"Another suggested the authorities go a step further, incorporating marine life into the mandatory health code system, and ordering fish travelling from international waters into China’s territory to conduct seven days’ quarantine."

What the actual fuck is going on there? 

While it looked on paper that Lockdowns were a good idea it looks like there's more evidence coming that they do more damage than good. I think I previously tried to argue this point only to be shouted down. Let's hope this is a blip and not the tip of the iceberg. 

image.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

While it looked on paper that Lockdowns were a good idea it looks like there's more evidence coming that they do more damage than good. I think I previously tried to argue this point only to be shouted down. Let's hope this is a blip and not the tip of the iceberg. 

image.png

In January 2021 (Post December/xmas free for all) when daily death rates were over 1000 a day and rising, we locked down and the figures dropped. Do you think we shouldn't have locked down then? 

38 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

In January 2021 (Post December/xmas free for all) when daily death rates were over 1000 a day and rising, we locked down and the figures dropped. Do you think we shouldn't have locked down then? 

Point where I disputed or denied that the figures dropped after lockdown? 

You can only work with the tools and data available to you in the moment. The first lockdown was necessary due to it being an unknown virus and would have clearly saved lives with people not spreading it around. 

What's being learned at present is that the lockdowns were for far too long and will in the long term cause a tsunami of deaths from undiagnosed illnesses and mental health issues, suggesting that eventually these death figures will even overtake Covid death figures. Not my words so don't shoot the messenger. Nothing conspiratorial or controversial about that. 

11 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Point where I disputed or denied that the figures dropped after lockdown? 

You can only work with the tools and data available to you in the moment. The first lockdown was necessary due to it being an unknown virus and would have clearly saved lives with people not spreading it around. 

What's being learned at present is that the lockdowns were for far too long and will in the long term cause a tsunami of deaths from undiagnosed illnesses and mental health issues, suggesting that eventually these death figures will even overtake Covid death figures. Not my words so don't shoot the messenger. Nothing conspiratorial or controversial about that. 

Mate, I'm not arguing with you. I haven't said you've disputed any figures. I asked a question. 

I'm certainly not disputing that lockdowns weren't ideal or disputing that the long term effects will be awful. We all knew that from the word go, of course we didn't predict how long it would go on for. 

• Upvote 1

The particular study you referenced previously was questioned Zonk.

I don't think there is any doubt that the effects of Covid have impacted health services overall - in some countries far more than others. It is difficult to make blanket statements and especially problematic to suggest that all countries/states are suffering similarly for a number of reasons.

Here is some light reading for you:

https://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/files/2022/01/A-Literature-Review-and-Meta-Analysis-of-the-Effects-of-Lockdowns-on-COVID-19-Mortality.pdf

The fact that critical lockdown discussion begins at either decreased economic productivity or life years lost is going to make alot of discourse difficult as to do so either means you are only concerned about the economic fallout or you are getting into valuing any single life differently from another. Tough sledding either way.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2020 at 04:30, Anubis said:

Interesting (and by interesting I mean slightly disturbing) thread from Florida scientist Rebekah Jones who has been running a website critical of how Florida is handling Coronavirus cases.

An ousted Florida data scientist who said she was fired for refusing to manipulate COVID-19 numbers and emerged as a critic of Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis over his handling of the pandemic won her US primary race and will challenge Rep. Matt Gaetz, one of former President Donald Trump's staunchest supporters, for a seat in Congress. 

Rebekah Jones won Tuesday's Democratic primary in northwestern Florida’s first congressional district, setting up a chance to unseat the incumbent Gaetz, who has represented the district since 2017. 

@Jairzinho

Do you still wear that ankle bracelet? Expect a call.

Scientists have reported the first known case of a person testing positive for monkeypox, Covid-19 and HIV at the same time.

The patient, a 36-year-old Italian male, developed a series of symptoms — including fatigue, fever, and a sore throat — nine days after returning from a trip to Spain, where he engaged in unprotected sex.

20 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Jairzinho

Scientists have reported the first known case of a person testing positive for monkeypox, Covid-19 and HIV at the same time.

The patient, a 36-year-old Italian male, developed a series of symptoms — including fatigue, fever, and a sore throat — nine days after returning from a trip to Spain, where he engaged in unprotected sex.

Answers to the name of Lucky!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Am I being stupid - we haven't had a Lockdown for ages, why is it being blamed for deaths? 

Thousands of undiagnosed medical issues and thousands of cancelled procedures = loads more deaths. Not much they could have done initially other than Lockdowns given the novel nature of the virus which was poorly understood at the outset. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/25/rishi-sunak-covid-lockdown-harms-not-properly-considered

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

An ousted Florida data scientist who said she was fired for refusing to manipulate COVID-19 numbers and emerged as a critic of Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis over his handling of the pandemic won her US primary race and will challenge Rep. Matt Gaetz, one of former President Donald Trump's staunchest supporters, for a seat in Congress. 

Rebekah Jones won Tuesday's Democratic primary in northwestern Florida’s first congressional district, setting up a chance to unseat the incumbent Gaetz, who has represented the district since 2017. 

That Gaetz is one creepy fucker.

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Jairzinho

With multiple men, at the same time....... 

I bet they forgot that fine detail... 

On 19/08/2022 at 09:55, ZonkoVille77 said:

image.png

Even if it were true (which it probably isn't, according to the thread that Rapey posted) that more people died of "lockdown effects" than of Covid, that wouldn't mean that lockdowns do more harm than good.  To ascertain that, you would have to compare the number of deaths due to "lockdown effects" with the number of people who would have died of Covid if there had been no lockdown.

8 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Even if it were true (which it probably isn't, according to the thread that Rapey posted) that more people died of "lockdown effects" than of Covid, that wouldn't mean that lockdowns do more harm than good.  To ascertain that, you would have to compare the number of deaths due to "lockdown effects" with the number of people who would have died of Covid if there had been no lockdown.

Impossible to know either way as no empirical evidence exists for either. Best case scenario estimates are all anyone can go on. However, I do know lockdowns were done with the best of intentions.