You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Lockdown saved lives. Masks saved lives. Vaccines saved lives. 

Perfect solution? No of course not and some people have suffered as a result which is horrible. 

By and large though ….. 

Anyone who can’t see that is a fucking blert. 

There's no arguments from me about the past, what was done was done in the heat of the moment. But now is the time for reflection, even though its far from over. It's ALL about doing it better in future and not blindly thinking that everything gone before was perfectly valid. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

There's no arguments from me about the past, what was done was done in the heat of the moment. But now is the time for reflection, even though its far from over. It's ALL about doing it better in future and not blindly thinking that everything gone before was perfectly valid. 

If you read what I said mate you’ll see that I agree 

12 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Yea man.

TBH that is going to have to be done by individual countries and maybe at an even more local level to do much good in the future.

Unfortunately the ruling parties of most countries are not really big on introspection and even less excited to admit any kind of failure.

The flip side is also true you will admit. Alot of stuff that was done was perfectly valid.

26 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The study mentioned viral transmission in passing once.

I do not know a single scientist who would suggest Covid's viral transmission mechanisms were not massively impacted by lockdowns - in fact you don't either as you just mentioned only a fool. So either that part of the conclusion is a bit iffy or the authors are fools.

I wrote something I don't really want to post cos I was a bit cuntish. So I'll just delete it. 

Man enough to admit when I'm a twat. 

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea man.

TBH that is going to have to be done by individual countries and maybe at an even more local level to do much good in the future.

Unfortunately the ruling parties of most countries are not really big on introspection and even less excited to admit any kind of failure.

The flip side is also true you will admit. Alot of stuff that was done was perfectly valid.

Agree. Introspection is not in the vernacular of Western governments. 

It is becoming increasinlgy clear that you may not have read the article you posted.

3 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

That's a lot of words to say nothing. I've read it 3 times and I still can't deciper what it means. 

I can't see anyone arguing against the point that disease doesn't spread if everyone isolates. Can you point me to that, if that's what you're implying? 

Too late for the dlete - the internet is forever.

It is in the conclusion of the article you posted - which you apparently read.

24 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I wrote something I don't really want to post cos I was a bit cuntish. So I'll just delete it. 

Man enough to admit when I'm a twat. 

You’re not a twat lad. Your missus had a tough ride and you’re rightly questioning things. The difference between you and select others on here is you present a case and acknowledge other people’s stuff instead of being a cunt like some.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is becoming increasinlgy clear that you may not have read the article you posted.

Too late for the dlete - the internet is forever.

It is in the conclusion of the article you posted - which you apparently read.

Misrepresenting reality isn't clever. Assumptions are the basis of all scientific study. It's why people use the term "assumption" to challenge others to investigate. Even the greatest scientific research use "assumptions" so not to cement a fact that can change with better evidence. However your using "assumptions" in place of "guessing". You think you're being clever when in fact you're being disingenuous. 

I'll leave it there. Hardliners never change, the opposite of a rolling stone gathering no moss.

18 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Misrepresenting reality isn't clever. Assumptions are the basis of all scientific study. It's why people use the term "assumption" to challenge others to investigate. Even the greatest scientific research use "assumptions" so not to cement a fact that can change with better evidence. However your using "assumptions" in place of "guessing". You think you're being clever when in fact you're being disingenuous. 

I'll leave it there. Hardliners never change, the opposite of a rolling stone gathering no moss.

Now I am the one who has no idea what you are talking about. 

Here is the statement from the conclusion of the study:

While our understanding of viral transmission mechanisms leads to the assumption that lockdowns may be an effective pandemic management tool, this assumption cannot be supported by the evidence-based analysis of the present COVID-19 pandemic.

Here is the question you asked:

I can't see anyone arguing against the point that disease doesn't spread if everyone isolates. Can you point me to that, if that's what you're implying? 

So I referred you back to the study you posted and suggested it is ridiculous to make that statement re: transmission. As you did in a previous post.

Not sure what assumptions I have made, much less clever ones.

How am I a hardliner?

You have absolutely no idea what my beliefs are.

You posted a study to support an opinion you have already formed.

It is imo amateur, biased trash. I pointed that out by going through it.

That is not a reflection on you, or the idea that there needs to be a better understanding of 

any ramifications of further global health catastrophes going forward.

Your reaction seems a little entrenched tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

I'm on for round 2 by the looks of things.

There's some sort of 'Super Cold' going around at the moment which I've had for a week, all the hall marks of Covid, Temperature/sweating, aches, Coughing, Sore Throat, Headaches, runny/blocked nose, lethargic and sleeping loads.

Tested 4 times this week and negative for Covid each time.

Mental 

BBC News - Shanghai Covid: Ikea shoppers flee attempt to lock down store
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-62547503

A couple of mates just came back from teaching there and said it was crazy. They used to get woken up in the middle of the night for random tests and you wouldn't know if you'd failed or not until they came and got you. People were having their kids taken away. 

They woke up one night and a steel fence had been built around their neighbour's house. 

They reckon the vaccine over there is blag too. Reckon that when the westerners who had it travelled to Singapore and got tested they had no antibodies, but their Asian wives and husbands did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Mental 

A couple of mates just came back from teaching there and said it was crazy. They used to get woken up in the middle of the night for random tests and you wouldn't know if you'd failed or not until they came and got you. People were having their kids taken away. 

They woke up one night and a steel fence had been built around their neighbour's house. 

They reckon the vaccine over there is blag too. Reckon that when the westerners who had it travelled to Singapore and got tested they had no antibodies, but their Asian wives and husbands did.

"By Sunday nearly 400 close contacts of the six-year-old boy"

Whats he doing, driving an ice cream van?

I've barely been in close contact with 400 people this year. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Mental 

China's OTT attitude to Covid is concerning. It's like they know something we don't. 

4 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

China's OTT attitude to Covid is concerning. It's like they know something we don't. 

It’s nearly 3 years in. How long are they going to keep at it? You can’t have people having their lives constantly disrupted forever. This country is a joke in general but the current covid response is one I’d agree with. If it’s that dangerous going forward there’s fuck all we can do at this point except live as best we can and hope for the best. 
China is weird, given I’ve been there, brother lived there and married to a Chinese girl so visiting him and also getting reports of the numerous times he was hospitalised via poisoning from food or water, plus people loudly gobbing up jellyfish everywhere. For them to start pontificating on public health is hypocritical at best. Seen some things there that would make your eyes water (or bleed if the viruses from the rats running over the produce in supermarkets took hold)