You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Numbers are high yes but at this point what can you do? It’s clearly constantly mutating to become more transmissible so beyond making the vaccines available what are people wanting and when does that end?

That’s a general question and not a dig at anyone. 
Just wondering what it is people think should be happening, anyone think they need another lockdown / masks enforced / 10 day isolation for everyone in household etc or just acknowledge it’s there but get on with it and live like we do with existing cold and flu?

I’m probably in the camp of carry on as best you can if you get it but keep going out to a minimum. 
I had a weird one the other week, tested positive feeling slightly unwell, bit of phlegm and a ringing in the ear. By the afternoon the test was negative and then felt fine and negative every day after. Really odd,

maybe I’d had it the week before and the rest picked up the remnants of it.

23 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

Numbers are high yes but at this point what can you do? It’s clearly constantly mutating to become more transmissible so beyond making the vaccines available what are people wanting and when does that end?

Just wondering what it is people think should be happening, anyone think they need another lockdown / masks enforced / 10 day isolation for everyone in household etc or just acknowledge it’s there but get on with it and live like we do with existing cold and flu?

I’m probably in the camp of carry on as best you can if you get it but keep going out to a minimum. 
I had a weird one the other week, tested positive feeling slightly unwell, bit of phlegm and a ringing in the ear. By the afternoon the test was negative and then felt fine and negative every day after. Really odd,

We need clear Government advice - on masks in public places, social distancing, hand-washing, etc. - the resumption of widespread free testing, a booster vaccination programme targeted at the most vulnerable and rights for workers to work from home, where possible, and to self-isolate without any negative repercussions if they test positive. 

4 hours ago, Pureblood said:

Question for jabbed people: If you could go back and not have the jabs, knowing that they don't prevent infections and do have side effects, would any of you change your mind?

Obviously as a pureblood I wouldn't have to change my mind, but you might. 

I would still have the jabs, but only because I’m old and now (sadly) battling the middle aged spread. If I was young I don’t think I would have it. My three children (all adults) had the jabs even though I asked them to seriously think about it. However their bodies their choice. I agree it’s very much down to the individual, nobody should bully you into putting something into your body you either don’t want to or are unsure about. 
This has nothing to do with whether or not I think they’re safe, I think they probably are, but I think it’s imperative that personal choice is respected.

5 hours ago, Pureblood said:

Fair enough but you're not really doing yourself any favours.  If you want a Labour government, it's disenfranchised people like me who feel genuinely politically homeless who you'll need to win over.

Calling us a bunch of whacko flat earthers probably won't cut it.  I don't intend to vote at the next election but in the past would have voted Labour.  Anyway, I digress but by discriminating against people like me you push us further away from your own political sphere and you're less likely to end up with the government you want in future.  

Here's the thing fella. I'm not trying to convince you to vote for anyone.

I'm really aware that people who share you point of view are not likely candidates for any party that will put society before their own fears.

6 hours ago, Pureblood said:

Fair enough but you're not really doing yourself any favours.  If you want a Labour government, it's disenfranchised people like me who feel genuinely politically homeless who you'll need to win over.

Calling us a bunch of whacko flat earthers probably won't cut it.  I don't intend to vote at the next election but in the past would have voted Labour.  Anyway, I digress but by discriminating against people like me you push us further away from your own political sphere and you're less likely to end up with the government you want in future.  

But you're the uk's best lawyer and an england cricketer? Surely that makes you a tory voter.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

Aren’t virus supposed to weaken the more they mutate?  I think I read that but could very well be wrong. 

20 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Aren’t virus supposed to weaken the more they mutate?  I think I read that but could very well be wrong. 

That’s what I mean, weaker but more transmissible so infected numbers will always go up but I mean it’s generally weaker or so I always was led to believe (the basic science being’ that viruses want to survive so adapt to spread to more people without killing the host) so what are we supposed to do? 
We can’t keep locking down and isolating for something that’s getting weaker. My personal take is that we should live life as normal and the money that would be pumped into self isolation payments or business grants etc should be put into the healthcare system to treat those that do become hospital cases. If you’ve got a virus that is now a cold to 99. whatever % of cases it’s not logical to try to impose isolation, people won’t do it any more than they did when they had a cold.

Im also all for vaccines and vaccine development, I got absolutely nailed by them but when I caught the actual plague I was fine within a few hours both times. They can boost me up every few months if it means less disruption to normal life.

6 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Screenshot-2022-07-11-22-49-34-13-b72a20

Isn’t there an echo chamber you can peddle this bollocks and laugh along with like-minded misfits?

What do you think the vaccine is designed to do to you?

Also - if it was a conspiracy amongst ‘the elites’ - do you not think there’d be a few by now might have grassed or is it that ‘the lizards in charge’ have never had a couple of drinks too many and sidled up to a mate and said ‘don’t say anything mate but………’ ?

• Upvote 1