You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

On 19/03/2022 at 15:57, TheHowieLama said:

Full article here - I have put this in both threads - anyone see any parallels?

https://newsletters.theatlantic.com/the-third-rail/6234aa276c90860020516e75/republican-conspiracy-russia-ukraine/

I want to share with you two remarkably similar numbers. At first glance, they should have nothing to do with each other. On closer examination, they’re inextricably linked.

The first number is 57. That’s the percentage of Republicans who told Yahoo News/YouGov pollsters that the United States should take Ukraine’s side as it defends itself against Russian invasion (28 percent said the U.S. should back neither, and 5 percent said we should back Russia). By contrast, 76 percent of Democrats said the U.S. should back Ukraine.

The second number is 56. That’s the percentage of Republicans who told Kaiser Family Foundation researchers that they were vaccinated. For Democrats, it’s 92 percent. The partisan disparity is so profound that fully 61 percent of all unvaccinated adults are Republican.

Vaccines have nothing to do with Russia, and Russia has nothing to do with vaccines. So why are those two numbers so similar? The answer lies with a phenomenon that afflicts a substantial minority of the right, including a substantial minority of my neighbors. It’s a constant, intense contrarianism rooted in deep antipathy against perceived “elites” or against the “establishment” on the left or the right.

The overlap between various conspiracy theories is simply extraordinary. Find someone who believes Trump truly won the 2020 election, and the overlap with anti-masking activism (especially pre-vaccine) and vaccine skepticism is almost guaranteed. Find someone who believes in the basics of the QAnon conspiracy theory, and you’ll find an election conspiracist and likely a Ukraine skeptic.

Indeed, contrarianism and antipathy also present a crucial explanation for Trumpism. What’s a key reason the right likes Trump? Because the mainstream media doesn’t. When would they boo Trump? When he conforms to what the establishment wants, including by getting a COVID-vaccine booster.

If you spend any time watching Tucker Carlson or following the rhetoric of popular far-right voices, such as Candace Owens, Marjorie Taylor Greene, and many, many others, you’ll see a consistent theme—they’ll find what they call “the narrative” (another word for the perceived conventional wisdom in the media or in the political establishment) and simply argue the opposite.

14758_XXX_v1.tif&wid=480&cvt=jpeg

22 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Mum, sister and  2 year old nephew all got it. Only concern is my mum,two metal heart valves and a pacemaker. She said she feels awful but 3 vaccine so should be find 

Hope they're all fine mate (I'm sure they will be)  

• Upvote 1

Brilliant. Compulsory for me to do a lateral flow test to get into see my aunt at a care home twice per week. Will now be charged for the test. Family of four visiting a care home one per week will cost £1200. Between me and my dad (who is a pensioner and visits her once a week) it’ll be 3/4 of that. We can afford it, but what about the people who can’t and the person in the care home who will have less visits.

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Brilliant. Compulsory for me to do a lateral flow test to get into see my aunt at a care home twice per week. Will now be charged for the test. Family of four visiting a care home one per week will cost £1200. Between me and my dad (who is a pensioner and visits her once a week) it’ll be 3/4 of that. 

That’s really outrageous.

On 24/03/2022 at 11:46, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The Johnson-engineered spike in Covid cases is straining the NHS to the point where people are dying preventable deaths.

"Let the bodies pile high"

2 of our 3 Major sites hit full capacity yesterday (predictably the ones with ED/ urgent care pathways), as I've said previously on this thread it has changed the culture around discharge, the notion of convalescence within clinical settings is being totally eroded. Though it has also meant that the number of people dawdling while pharmacy sort out their take home medication and the trainees write up their notes has dropped.

The benefits of the vaccine very clear for us to see in our family.  My 88 year old dad and 80 year old mum both caught it and my dad was a bit sick for 36 hours, and my mum just had a cough. My dad has lung issues that don’t debilitate his life (he plays golf 4 days a week) but would have seen COVID kill him without a vaccine. 

My non vaccinated 4 year old has now caught it and it’s knocked the shit out of him. High temperature, sore throat exasperated by a bad cough and zero energy. Poor fella. 

26BCDDE1-E18D-409D-9787-E89D1CAD9DBC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

The benefits of the vaccine very clear for us to see in our family.  My 88 year old dad and 80 year old mum both caught it and my dad was a bit sick for 36 hours, and my mum just had a cough. My dad has lung issues that don’t debilitate his life (he plays golf 4 days a week) but would have seen COVID kill him without a vaccine. 

My non vaccinated 4 year old has now caught it and it’s knocked the shit out of him. High temperature, sore throat exasperated by a bad cough and zero energy. Poor fella. 

Poor little sod. Hope he gets well ASAP mate 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

The lad deserves a new toy and plenty of sweets once he's better.

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Hope he's feeling better soon.

Had a bout go around the family in recent weeks. Both parents, my sister, an aunt, two uncles and... Eventually, my grandparents. My Nan is extremely vulnerable due to other health issues, but has her 4th jab as a result and also had anti-virals prescribed previously as a 'just in case' measure. My grandad hasn't really stopped and I think is getting over it fine. She is managing okay too, but unsure whether she will try and do too much as that's been an issue in the past with her heart issues. 

• Upvote 1