You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I’m fascinated by the anti-vax mob getting chubbies on whenever someone says something positive about the parasitic  worm medicine yet completely ignore the success of the actual covid vaccines. 

They'd rather their intestines get shit out of their arseholes than a chip get inserted to see what wonderful humdrum lives they all lead. The fucking melts.

24 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I’m fascinated by the anti-vax mob getting chubbies on whenever someone says something positive about the parasitic  worm medicine yet completely ignore the success of the actual covid vaccines. 

Yeah I don’t get it either.

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with mandates, passes, lack of long term health data, adverse effects of mrna and a year's worth of propaganda spewed out by a covid regime that seems to think 1984 was an instruction manual?

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with mandates, passes, lack of long term health data, adverse effects of mrna and a year's worth of propaganda spewed out by a covid regime that seems to think 1984 was an instruction manual?

My god you spout some fucking shit. 

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Mandates and all restrictions are now gone in Ireland and the UK.

How is it like 1984? Have you ever read the book? Or did you just look up the plot summary on Wikipedia.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Em City said:

How is it like 1984? Have you ever read the book? Or did you just look up the plot summary on Wikipedia.

Mandates and restrictions are gone for now, they're still causing damage in other countries though. And I saw the film of 1984 years back I think. Reading the book right now would probably be a bit too depressing.

34 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Mandates and restrictions are gone for now, they're still causing damage in other countries though. And I saw the film of 1984 years back I think. Reading the book right now would probably be a bit too depressing.

It's an excellent read but it is almost unbearably depressing and frightening. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Em City said:

Not all restrictions gone in Ireland atleast. Still masks in shops etc. still open windows etc in schools, masks for kids in schools etc. most are gone but not all. 

Interesting meta-analysis from academics at Johns Hopkins.

A Literature Review and Meta-Analysis of the Effects of Lockdowns on COVID-19 Mortality (repec.org)

This systematic review and meta-analysis are designed to determine whether there is empirical evidence to support the belief that “lockdowns” reduce COVID-19 mortality. Lockdowns are defined as the imposition of at least one compulsory, non-pharmaceutical intervention (NPI). NPIs are any government mandate that directly restrict peoples’ possibilities, such as policies that limit internal movement, close schools and businesses, and ban international travel. This study employed a systematic search and screening procedure in which 18,590 studies are identified that could potentially address the belief posed. After three levels of screening, 34 studies ultimately qualified. Of those 34 eligible studies, 24 qualified for inclusion in the meta-analysis. They were separated into three groups: lockdown stringency index studies, shelter-in-place-order (SIPO) studies, and specific NPI studies.

An analysis of each of these three groups support the conclusion that lockdowns have had little to no effect on COVID-19 mortality. More specifically, stringency index studies find that lockdowns in Europe and the United States only reduced COVID-19 mortality by 0.2% on average. SIPOs were also ineffective, only reducing COVID-19 mortality by 2.9% on average. Specific NPI studies also find no broad-based evidence of noticeable effects on COVID-19 mortality. While this meta-analysis concludes that lockdowns have had little to no public health effects, they have imposed enormous economic and social costs where they have been adopted. In consequence, lockdown policies are ill-founded and should be rejected as a pandemic policy instrument.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yeah if I'm remembering the right film that was really dark too. I'll hopefully get around to reading the book soon, will maybe do it in bits though.

Is that the one with John Hurt in it?

If I remember rightly there are a smashing pair of tits on show at one point to brighten things up.

I finally tested positive on Monday. Started feeling shit on Sunday. After 2 years or so and working in a hospital and not really shutting myself away was wondering when I’d get a dose! Probably a present from my 7 year old daughter as it’s been rife at her school.

Although I’m only suffering minor symptoms it’s still not much fun. I’m triple vaxxed but I wouldn’t like to experience this without the Pfizer coursing through my system.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Shitty Arse said:

I finally tested positive on Monday. Started feeling shit on Sunday. After 2 years or so and working in a hospital and not really shutting myself away was wondering when I’d get a dose! Probably a present from my 7 year old daughter as it’s been rife at her school.

Although I’m only suffering minor symptoms it’s still not much fun. I’m triple vaxxed but I wouldn’t like to experience this without the Pfizer coursing through my system.

UnhealthyBlandHound-max-1mb.gif

22 minutes ago, Shitty Arse said:

Is that the one with John Hurt in it?

If I remember rightly there are a smashing pair of tits on show at one point to brighten things up.

Yeah I remember him being in it but barely anything of the actual film (don't remember the tits either), I've started reading an online version of the book a bit ago too.

Interesting development in Denmark.

Welcome to Denmark, where Covid is over – again. Yesterday, the Scandinavian nation became the first country in Europe to put an end to all coronavirus-related laws. In the eyes of the Danish government and, crucially, the vast majority of its 5.8m citizens, the virus is no longer deemed a “critical threat to society”. Cases remain high – very high – but the Danes have moved on. Even if you test positive, there is no longer a legal obligation to self-isolate.

In the capital, Copenhagen, there was an atmosphere of cautious relief on Tuesday morning as people crammed into the Metro, onto commuter trains and buses, and into shops without face masks for the first time since November.

Even the new, more transmissible BA.2 omicron variant that now dominates infections in Denmark could not put people off. Tyra Grove Krause, director of infection preparedness at the country’s infectious diseases agency SSI, said there was nothing for it but to let the new wave “run through the population”.

“With omicron, it is impossible to stop the spread of infection, even with severe restrictions,” she said, before predicting that natural immunity would now combine with Denmark’s high vaccination rates to send the latest wave into decline by the middle of this month. As far as community health is concerned, Covid is now on a par with the common cold.

“It’s fantastic and I’m happy that I can go out and be young again, that we can go out and do all the things we used to do,” Stine Thrane Andreasson, a student, told neighbouring Sweden’s Sydsvenskan newspaper. “I didn’t think that restrictions were going to be taken away so soon.”

But Andreasson was still getting used to the new freedoms. “It feels like you’re doing something illegal when you go into a shop without a face mask,” she said.

Of course, Denmark has been here before. In September, it did almost exactly the same thing, only to U-turn in early November when omicron hit. Museums, cinemas, theatres and concert venues all closed over Christmas and masks and vaccine passports were required for almost everything else. In the face of uncertainty about the new variant, the country did not want to chance its health system becoming overwhelmed.

“Throughout the pandemic, our data shows that the key worry of Danes is not their own health, but overwhelmed hospitals,” says Michael Bang Petersen, a professor of political science and government advisor, who led the country’s largest behavioural project during the crisis.

Jens Flinck Bertelsen, an architect arriving for work in central Copenhagen on Tuesday, said there was an “ambivalent feeling”, given the current high infection rates, and the fact that restrictions had been lifted before.

“But I trust the authorities to have a good grip of the situation,” he says. “Even though the infection rates are very high and there’s a lot of people in hospital, the judgment is that it will not overload the health system if we open up.”

Just as yesterday’s opening passed without angst or controversy, the same was true of November’s shutdown. Unlike in Sweden, or indeed much of the rest of the world, epidemiology in Denmark has not been politicised. Only the eradication of the country’s entire 17 million-strong mink population in November 2020 generated real political heat. Instead, social consensus and trust in government have been Denmark’s hallmarks. They are what many experts believe has made it one of the world’s top pandemic performers, perhaps the best.

“If you have a strategy based on trust and solidarity, then you can actually open up with a relatively broad agreement, where the vulnerable and the elderly are accepting of the risks,” says Prof Petersen. The over-50s – 96 per cent of whom are fully vaccinated – are “taking on a personal responsibility” in order to allow younger groups to live life as normal again.

“Opening up doesn’t need to mean that you don’t care about the vulnerable in society, and it doesn’t mean that you don’t take coronavirus seriously,” he says. Instead, it’s “a trade-off” based on data – something that Denmark, with its world-class genetic sequencing and mass testing, has a lot of.

“What is interesting is that when we’re looking at the opinion data that is available, even among the elderly there’s a majority who are supporting the lifting of restrictions,” says Prof Petersen. “You could say that a lot of young people have been showing solidarity with the elderly throughout the pandemic [by locking down] – and now the elderly are showing some solidarity with the younger generations.”

By any obvious measure, Denmark has done well during the pandemic. A recent listing of 23 OECD countries compiled by The Economist put Denmark at the top of the league for economic performance over the last two years. Britain came 22nd, just above Spain at the bottom.

Denmark has managed this despite restrictions and while keeping deaths per million at the 640 mark, about half the Western European average. Indeed, if you glance at many of the global charts on health performance during the pandemic, you often find Denmark bunched not with its European neighbours, but with Singapore and other east Asian countries.

Some point to Denmark’s infection rates, which were until last week heading up vertically, as evidence the country may be unwinding too soon. But Søren Brostrøm, director of the Danish Health Authority, says with Denmark’s leading rate of vaccination and the relative mildness of the omicron variant, it no longer makes sense to look at infection rates.

“I’m keeping my sights on the seriously ill, and looking at figures for inpatients in intensive care units – which, by the way, have just kept falling and falling and are now incredibly low,” he told the broadcaster TV2 as the final restrictions were dropped on Tuesday.

Even if the lifting of restrictions does lead to a final spike in infections, he predicted that rates would drop away soon after. “We have sky-high immunity in the population, partly due to our large vaccine acceptance, but also from the wide spread of omicron,” said Brostrøm. “This also means that we will start to see the back end of this.”

So will Denmark’s latest reopening hold – and, if so, what does it mean for us in Britain and the wider pandemic?

In typical pragmatic style, Mette Frederiksen, the Danish prime minister, told local radio on Tuesday it was too early to know if measures just lifted may have to make a comeback. In contrast to Boris Johnson’s broken promise last spring – that the UK exit roadmap would be “irreversible”, before then introducing Plan B measures – Frederiksen said: “I dare not say that it is a final goodbye to restrictions. We do not know[…] whether there will be a new variant.”

Frederiksen has had a good pandemic. Denmark was the first country in northern Europe to bring in lockdown restrictions, on March 11 2020, and quickly established a pattern of moving hard and fast – in either direction – based on what the data and the precautionary principle dictate. The Danish population has been almost in lockstep with the government and its expert agencies.

Danish experts are optimistic that omicron has heralded the “beginning of the end” of the acute phase of the pandemic.

Prof Lone Simonsen, an epidemiologist at Roskilde University, says: “If you asked me to put a crystal ball in front of me, I would say: ‘I think that this is the last sort of lockdown-crazy pandemic wave.’ Having gone through two, three, four pandemic waves – which is normal for recent historical pandemics – I imagine Covid control will [soon be] similar to that of seasonal flu.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/land-covid-now-no-worse-cold/