You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

17 minutes ago, Fighting Antisemitism Everywhere said:

Honestly, I would be surprised if anti-vaxxers were swayed by a graph showing their death rate is 0.013%.

Of course not. Strangely though they're ready to take to the streets over an even smaller number of vaccine-caused deaths.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/201359/moderna-no-longer-used-to-vaccinate-under-31s

Moderna no longer used to vaccinate under-31s

A very rare side effect among under-31s of the Moderna coronavirus vaccine meant that Belgium stopped using this vaccine last month for the first two vaccine doses of people in this age group.

Younger people can still receive the vaccine for their booster shot (a half dose rather than a full one) but Pfizer’s vaccine is now recommended for the first two doses for all people below the age of 31, based on the advice of the Superior Health Council.

“The decision for the basic vaccination of 18- to 30-year-olds is based on international knowledge of possible side effects that are very rare. We took this decision as a precaution,” Gudrun Briat, the spokesperson for the Vaccination Task Force, told The Brussels Times.

Preliminary findings from Danish research indicated that vaccination with Moderna resulted in an increased risk of inflammation of the heart muscle in young men following the first or second dose in comparison with the Pfizer vaccine.

“Usually the inflammation is harmless and goes away without being noticed, but if there is an alternative vaccine available, it makes more sense not to take any risks,” Briat said.

She stressed that younger people who were given the vaccine for their basic vaccination should not worry, especially if they received the shots months ago. “This side effect manifests itself a maximum of two months after vaccination.”

Some countries extended the age limit on Moderna for booster doses as well, but so far there is no evidence of this side effect for half-doses, according to reports from De Standaard.

“Moderna will be used for the rest of the booster vaccination campaign unless the scientific insights into its use change,” Joris Moonens, spokesperson for the Agency for Care and Health, said.

2 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

https://www.brusselstimes.com/201359/moderna-no-longer-used-to-vaccinate-under-31s

Moderna no longer used to vaccinate under-31s

A very rare side effect among under-31s of the Moderna coronavirus vaccine meant that Belgium stopped using this vaccine last month for the first two vaccine doses of people in this age group.

Younger people can still receive the vaccine for their booster shot (a half dose rather than a full one) but Pfizer’s vaccine is now recommended for the first two doses for all people below the age of 31, based on the advice of the Superior Health Council.

“The decision for the basic vaccination of 18- to 30-year-olds is based on international knowledge of possible side effects that are very rare. We took this decision as a precaution,” Gudrun Briat, the spokesperson for the Vaccination Task Force, told The Brussels Times.

Preliminary findings from Danish research indicated that vaccination with Moderna resulted in an increased risk of inflammation of the heart muscle in young men following the first or second dose in comparison with the Pfizer vaccine.

“Usually the inflammation is harmless and goes away without being noticed, but if there is an alternative vaccine available, it makes more sense not to take any risks,” Briat said.

She stressed that younger people who were given the vaccine for their basic vaccination should not worry, especially if they received the shots months ago. “This side effect manifests itself a maximum of two months after vaccination.”

Some countries extended the age limit on Moderna for booster doses as well, but so far there is no evidence of this side effect for half-doses, according to reports from De Standaard.

“Moderna will be used for the rest of the booster vaccination campaign unless the scientific insights into its use change,” Joris Moonens, spokesperson for the Agency for Care and Health, said.

I used a day off I had to go get a booster shot just after Christmas. They only had Moderna that day and wouldn't give it to me even though I'm a few months off being 30.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

I'm very interested to see what China does in the next six months.

They continue this zero-tolerance policy, but is that possible, given Omicron's transmissibility/virulence?

Can they really hope to function successfully in the integrated world without letting the virus in?

They also have the Olympics at the end of the month, lets see how many cases that will give them.

5 hours ago, Em City said:

I used a day off I had to go get a booster shot just after Christmas. They only had Moderna that day and wouldn't give it to me even though I'm a few months off being 30.

I'm 35 and they wouldn't give it me either, nor some young lad who was there as well. 

2 hours ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Unbelievable.

Boris on bbc news 'I didn't know I was breaking the rules' 

You made them you fucking rounded off nut that a spanner can't grip. 

Negged for calling him Boris. None of that bollocks in here thank you.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Negged for calling him Boris. None of that bollocks in here thank you.

I have to confess to having called him Boris myself in the past.

Purely, and this makes it even sadder, because it's easier to use the forum search to search for "Boris" than "Johnson".

Four inmates at an Arkansas jail have filed a federal lawsuit after they say medical staff gave them the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin to treat COVID-19 without telling them what it was. The inmates said they were told the medicines they were taking were "vitamins," "antibiotics" or "steroids."

The plaintiffs in the lawsuit — Edrick Floreal-Wooten, Jeremiah Little, Julio Gonzales and Dayman Blackburn — say they were given ivermectin in "high doses", which caused them to develop side effects such as vision issues, diarrhea, bloody stools and stomach cramps.

The Washington County Sheriff's Office said it was unable to comment on pending litigation.

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

All the measures brought in due to Omicron have now been cancelled by the government. 

It looks like the predictions by some on here that the Covid passes were going to be permanent and lead to a more draconian control regime may have been a little (being kind here - a lot!) wide of the mark. 

who’d a thunk it?

Only the 438 deaths yesterday? 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

28 minutes ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

All the measures brought in due to Omicron have now been cancelled by the government. 

It looks like the predictions by some on here that the Covid passes were going to be permanent and lead to a more draconian control regime may have been a little (being kind here - a lot!) wide of the mark. 

who’d a thunk it?

That’s what they want you to think, 3D chess, fascism, sheeple and David Icke.  

18 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Omicron throwing up some crazy numbers round Europe, looks unstoppable. But all well vaccinated countries seem to have hospitalizations and deaths under control so far. Herd immunity here we come?

I'm not sure the current case and death rates are 'under control' certainly not in the UK anyway. The positive is the ratio of deaths to cases is very wide, still over 400 deaths yesterday isn't positive one bit. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm not sure the current case and death rates are 'under control' certainly not in the UK anyway. The positive is the ratio of deaths to cases is very wide, still over 400 deaths yesterday isn't positive one bit. 

It's under control in a sense that cases are a total Armaggedon at the moment on most of the continent and hospitalizations and deaths are mostly still at the already seen levels.