You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

23 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59895934

So they don't make any significant difference, although teachers and pupils agree that communication is harder. So why does this continue? It's such a myopic approach.

Deaths just fell for the sixth week in a row. It's all politics at this point.

27 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

In the UK?

That is weird because just in the last week the UK reported two days of deaths over 300.

First time that number has been breached since early March.

Yep, it's certainly weird that two years into this thing you still haven't worked out that deaths don't necessarily happen on the day they were reported, especially when holidays are a factor.

23 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yep, it's certainly weird that two years into this thing you still haven't worked out that deaths don't necessarily happen on the day they were reported, especially when holidays are a factor.

So there is a lapse of 6 weeks?

Or a couple of days?

The total ends up being the same, and it does not look like the deaths in the UK are diminishing - you can think whatever you like.

Either way, they are still at an "acceptable level. Same with the US.

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

it does not look like the deaths in the UK are diminishing

Coronavirus (COVID-19) latest insights - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

The number of deaths from coronavirus (COVID-19) in England and Wales fell in the week to Christmas 2021.

In the week ending 24 December 2021, there were 591 deaths from COVID-19 registered across England and Wales.

They accounted for around 1 in every 22 deaths (4.5%), which was a fall from the previous week (755 deaths, 6.1% of all deaths registered).

These are the most recent figures. That looks like deaths diminishing to me.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) latest insights - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

If the reported deaths data as of today shows a 7-day jump of over 50 percent, how likely it is that eventually the deaths by date will show that in fact they were going down? In the last week of December and first week of January that is.

10 minutes ago, SasaS said:

If the reported deaths data as of today shows a 7-day jump of over 50 percent, how likely it is that eventually the deaths by date will show that in fact they were going down? In the last week of December and first week of January that is.

The covid dashboard has deaths by both date reported and actual date of death, so you can see that very effect yourself:

Deaths in the UK | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk)

Given that there's a lag between becoming infected and dying and the numbers of infections are still rising, I wouldn't go celebrating the demise of the pandemic just yet. 

I would expect the number of infections to start to fall in the last half of January and the number of deaths to rise this month and fall next month. That's my barely- informed guess, but it's still better than becoming glib because fatalities fell before Christmas.

33 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The UK has reported 891 deaths in the 6 days of January. By tomorrow, that will end up being double of the week before Christmas.

Just the last two days in December had more deaths than the weeks you are referencing.

It is not going down, but again, at this point it really doesn't matter.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The covid dashboard has deaths by both date reported and actual date of death, so you can see that very effect yourself:

Deaths in the UK | Coronavirus in the UK (data.gov.uk)

You can see 7-day average, which is going up and down for actual date deaths and mostly up for recent reported date deaths. Registered deaths end on December 24th and indeed show decrease for six week, which is consistent with weeks of "green" on the 7-day chart prior to the recent surge, which is now over 50 percent "red". So we will have to wait, or what? It is not likely that deaths are now (this week, last week) going up?

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I hope your symptoms are as negligible as mine were.

I’ve got one of those headaches that only hurts when you move around. Feels like my brain is banging the side of my head. Starting to get a bit of sore throat now. 

CCE918F5-C007-478C-9644-CDA94D71378F.jpeg

Seems about right. I’ll take the isolation gracefully. Turdsette has already FaceTimed me four times from the next room since she got home from school.