You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Hope she gets better soon but sadly one of the side effects of lockdowns and social distancing is that all the other illnesses have had a year of doing push ups while our defences have weakened. There were loads of kids in the Mrs's school blowing chunks like no tomorrow becauss norovirus spent the last year running on the beach with Apollo Creed.

Yeah for sure, hopefully its just a bug but twice in a month is worrying. 

6 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Lateral flow won't work when showing symptoms. Need to go for a PCR.

Her last pcr came back negative, she's going to do another. 

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

My missus has tested positive on a LFT with symptoms.

Ah I hadn't realised that they can work at an early stage, I was going with previous direction that if symptomatic they wouldn't work. Seems they can do according to this.

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/2021/smd/lateral-flow-tests-are-95-effective-at-detecting-covid-19-when-used-at-the-onset-of-symptoms.html

One of my mates had an NYE party at his in Southsea, about 15 of them went and 8 so far have tested positive. My mate and his family were due to fly to the states this weekend and he's just text me to say he has tested positive today as I was meant to be minding his dog from Friday. They are having to put it back 2 weeks and go for a shorter time. 

The positive thing is this variant doesn't seem as lethal at all, and the vaccines seem to be showing their strength 

I think one problem now is people being constantly vigilant about being and feeling sick. Flus, bugs colds etc have always been a fact of life but we're all on high alert now. 

Everyone is obsessed with illness at the moment, I include myself in that, I'm sure there's some kind of mass psychology explanation, but there's never been a time where the idea of being ill/germs/contamination etc has been so embedded in our culture. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Missus is properly ill again, awful cough and headache the lot. Seems worse than when she was ill before xmas. She did a lateral flow yesterday and again this morning, both negative. Before the last month I've only ever known her to be really poorly once and that was when we both had covid first time round. 

Hopes she gets better soon mate. I think I was ill same time as her and got better myself, then Boxing Day me and the wife both were ill again. Mad ear blockage and sinus shit going on. Was hoping it was just because we had the booster while we were still a bit off, but it’s taken ages to fuck off.

She seems back on it now and I feel pretty normal again, but can I fuck shift the last bit of congestion in my ears and nose.

Any normal year and I’d be a lot more worried, but as S31 says, our immune systems are fucked after the lockdown. Mad winter this has been.

3 minutes ago, Belarus said:

Hopes she gets better soon mate. I think I was ill same time as her and got better myself, then Boxing Day me and the wife both were ill again. Mad ear blockage and sinus shit going on. Was hoping it was just because we had the booster while we were still a bit off, but it’s taken ages to fuck off.

She seems back on it now and I feel pretty normal again, but can I fuck shift the last bit of congestion in my ears and nose.

Any normal year and I’d be a lot more worried, but as S31 says, our immune systems are fucked after the lockdown. Mad winter this has been.

Nice one mate, and yeah it's a bastard - hope you shift the last bits asap. Section is spot on. 

25 minutes ago, No2 said:

But it's an EU legislation governing companies that trade in the EU. I don't see where it comes into play here.

As is car bonnets changing from being elongated to rounded in 2015. As it was introduced to the uk as part of an eu legislation I think it’s still valid as it happened before leaving the eu.

28 minutes ago, No2 said:

But it's an EU legislation governing companies that trade in the EU. I don't see where it comes into play here.

It was adopted into U.K. law and still applies until it’s revoked or replaced.  Fines for breaches can be based on turnover.  

• Upvote 1

Missus is properly ill again, awful cough and headache the lot. Seems worse than when she was ill before xmas. She did a lateral flow yesterday and again this morning, both negative. Before the last month I've only ever known her to be really poorly once and that was when we both had covid first time round. 

My missus had to have antibiotics for a chest infection in the end.

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

My missus had to have antibiotics for a chest infection in the end.

TK sent me a PM telling me his sister had similar and ended up on them, I've told her to get it checked. She's working from her bed and is just gonna see how she is in 24 hours. I actually thought it could be a chest infection tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It was adopted into U.K. law and still applies until it’s revoked or replaced.  Fines for breaches can be based on turnover.  

Yep, our DPO has me referring to it as UK GDPR as he's not comfortable with reverting to DPA, although the Data Protection Act 2018 is the law that holds the GDPR regs for us 

Nice fun post there, happy back to work day everyone!

I am classed as an essential worker, I also test myself every few days. 

Work on a cross channel ferry and test every two days. I was on over Christmas, vessel was lauded up in Dunkirk from 19th, with no passengers and only our own bubble. We were still self testing every two days. 

A few people, including myself, had a dry throat but put this down to the AC being either very hot or very cold. 

Left the vessel on 27th and stayed over night in Dover, then train home on 28th. 

Throat was still a bit dicky when home but nothing to think about.

Tested myself on 01st and negative, went for booster on 02nd, which was the only time I left the house during my week home.

Felt very tired and weak yesterday but put this down to the jab and too much alcohol over new year.

Tested today prior to return to work and positive. Frantic Google results say vaccine do not give positive result, so now self isolating. 

Feeling absolutely fine today. No idea how I could have caught it. 

Now going to contact medical centre and tell them to close.

3 hours ago, mars said:

Kids return to school tomorrow and I'm struggling to find the best description of the Government's plans to keep schools open - "wilfully incompetent"  and "fucking useless" are the leaders at present. Vaccines minister Maggie Throup, the wettest of wet blankets, was on the BBC this morning; when pressed, she couldn't give a number for how many retired teachers were returning to the profession to help out then later claimed it was "a matter of thousands". Really? So you'd think someone would have had the foresight to ensure the background check process was swift and yet some supply agencies are claiming it is taking from one to two months for these necessary checks to be completed.

The plans to deal with staff shortages include asking teaching assistants to act as teachers and take classes  but I'm guessing the poor TAs won't be paid as teaching staff. There is also putting classes together - good job cramming 50+ students in one poorly ventilated classroom won't affect covid transmission. While I'm willing to bet that masks lessen transmission I can't see them being as effective in these circumstances.

Schools were supposed to have CO2 monitors last year; I asked a former colleague how many were in her school and guess the answer ... zero. 7000 air filters are to be provided to schools; there are 32 000 schools with some 300 000 classrooms in the UK. Meanwhile Germany has spent £452 million on improving ventilation in state buildings, including schools.

Is it incompetence or is the plan to expose as many pupils as possible to covid? Throup said in her interview that it was important that "everybody pulls together" - pity the interviewer didn't remind her that that included the Government.

The heating in my missus's school has broken down and won't be fixed until next week. The deputy head's solution? Just keep all the windows closed. Which goes against the only piece of government advice which is to keep class windows open.

I agree mate - the government have been happy to let Covid run through schools - pupils, teachers, support staff.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I think one problem now is people being constantly vigilant about being and feeling sick. Flus, bugs colds etc have always been a fact of life but we're all on high alert now. 

Everyone is obsessed with illness at the moment, I include myself in that, I'm sure there's some kind of mass psychology explanation, but there's never been a time where the idea of being ill/germs/contamination etc has been so embedded in our culture. 

Totally agree, I'm constantly on edge over it. 

If my kids even sneeze in nearly booking a pcr test. It's fucking madness. And I had covid, as did both my parents and we all fucked it off without any issues. Yet here I am, still too frightened to live a normal life. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I am classed as an essential worker, I also test myself every few days. 

Work on a cross channel ferry and test every two days. I was on over Christmas, vessel was lauded up in Dunkirk from 19th, with no passengers and only our own bubble. We were still self testing every two days. 

A few people, including myself, had a dry throat but put this down to the AC being either very hot or very cold. 

Left the vessel on 27th and stayed over night in Dover, then train home on 28th. 

Throat was still a bit dicky when home but nothing to think about.

Tested myself on 01st and negative, went for booster on 02nd, which was the only time I left the house during my week home.

Felt very tired and weak yesterday but put this down to the jab and too much alcohol over new year.

Tested today prior to return to work and positive. Frantic Google results say vaccine do not give positive result, so now self isolating. 

Feeling absolutely fine today. No idea how I could have caught it

Now going to contact medical centre and tell them to close.

My best guess is the train on the 28th. But it's everywhere now, you could get it anywhere.

Nice one mate, and yeah it's a bastard - hope you shift the last bits asap. Section is spot on. 

Did she have her booster in and around the time of being ill? The nurse told me to delay mine when I went for it as it can do you in a bit, but I was there then and couldn’t be fucked booking again. Wish I had now

• Upvote 1

Andrew Pollard, one of the creators of the Oxford AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine, has said that giving people booster shots twice a year is "not sustainable."

Speaking to UK newspaper The Telegraph in an interview published Tuesday, Pollard said: "We can't vaccinate the planet every six months."

Pollard, who also heads up the UK's Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunization (JCVI), stressed the "need to target the vulnerable" going forward, rather than administering doses to all those over 12 years old.

More data is needed to ascertain "whether, when and how often those who are vulnerable will need additional doses,” said Pollard.

The scientist cast doubts on the necessity of a fourth Covid-19 vaccine dose, saying further evidence is also needed here before campaigns can begin. 

Israel has already begun its rollout of a fourth vaccine dose, offering it to all medical workers and people over 60 as of Monday.

And in late December German Health Minister Karl Lauterbach told public broadcaster ZDF that Germans "will need a fourth vaccination" against Covid-19.

But Pollard struck an optimistic note in his interview. The "worst is behind us" and the world "just needs to get through the winter," he said. 

“At some point, society has to open up," he added. "When we do open, there will be a period with a bump in infections, which is why winter is probably not the best time."

He concluded by issuing a stark warning about the dangerous consequences of vaccine misinformation, highlighting that even "unintentional" comments from politicians can wreak havoc.

"Let’s just say that comments made in mainland Europe affected people in Africa," he said.

32 minutes ago, Belarus said:

Did she have her booster in and around the time of being ill? The nurse told me to delay mine when I went for it as it can do you in a bit, but I was there then and couldn’t be fucked booking again. Wish I had now

Shes not had it yet mate, she had it booked in but cancelled it as didn't wanna be ill right before xmas. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Idiocy.

My father refuses to get vaccinated. I was home for five minutes before Chistmas and it was the usual spiel - 'they're not vaccines', Fauci (he pronounced it Fossey) should be hung from the highest tree', etc. He definitely got it because he got a horribly sick a month ago and still has a cough like someone who's been smoking 60 a day for the last 50 years despite being very strong and healthy for his age.

The man left school at 14 but knows more than the vast majority of the scientific community apparently.