You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

32 minutes ago, The-Sir said:

Update on this for those wondering, he's felt pretty crap and still coughing up a lot of gunk off his lungs, but this morning he got a negative lateral flow which I'm made up about!! 

Transpires he didn't qualify for the antivirals either, which surprised all of us! Such an odd virus, affects the lungs but folks with respiratory conditions don't seem to be too badly affected?? Bizarre. 

Yeah it's very peculiar.

Glad he's not suffering too badly and hopefully he's well on the way to getting through it.

My Grandson (2) is fine now. His mum who is unvaccinated tested positive a couple of days after he did and was pretty ill, but didn't require hospital treatment and is improving. 

My lad who is also unvaccinated started feeling ill on Boxing day. LFT's showed negative, but he put a test in on the 29th and the result came back as positive on New Years day. 

He is also improving and said it is nowhere near as bad as the first Coronavirus infection he had which I think was the Beta variant.

My Son in Law, who is also unvaccinated had to put a test in yesterday after developing a cough and a temperature.

Again, the LFT showed negative, so we're just waiting for the result of the PCR.

He was here with my daughter and Grandkids on New Years day. 

• Upvote 4

I’ve been stuck in the bedroom for the last 4 days. Symptoms were that all my joints were red hot, aching and having shooting pains up my legs, arms and hands. That started Thursday, got a PCR Friday and then New Years Day got the sweats and massive bouts of fatigue. Calmed down loads today though.

Done LFT’s as well and got the negative result of a PCR this morning. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

My Grandson (2) is fine now. His mum who is unvaccinated tested positive a couple of days after he did and was pretty ill, but didn't require hospital treatment and is improving. 

My lad who is also unvaccinated started feeling ill on Boxing day. LFT's showed negative, but he put a test in on the 29th and the result came back as positive on New Years day. 

He is also improving and said it is nowhere near as bad as the first Coronavirus infection he had which I think was the Beta variant.

My Son in Law, who is also unvaccinated had to put a test in yesterday after developing a cough and a temperature.

Again, the LFT showed negative, so we're just waiting for the result of the PCR.

It appears that the LFT was correct this time because my Son in Law's PCR has just come back negative.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Good news. But how come so many are unvaccinated? 

• Downvote 1

Just now, Rico1304 said:

Fair enough!  

My mums mate who wasn’t sure about the vaccine died at weekend. Sad. 

It's very sad that she didn't give herself a greater chance of fighting it off.

I appreciate that some people do have a genuine medical reason for not having the vaccine, my Sister who now lives in America had a very bad reaction that caused Guillem Barre syndrome when she had her shots.

Thankfully she made a full recovery, but her Dr advised that this could possibly happen again, so she hasn't even had a Flu jab since 2006 and that's fair enough, I just think it's borderline madness for those refuse for selfish, smart arse reasons, the 'Look at me, they're not injecting me with that shite' brigade.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Saw johnson on the news before saying it would be wrong to say the pandemic is over.

Unless I'm missing something  no body has said anything of the sort.

Unfortunately some people ignore it ever existed in the first place 

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!

Tasty bits of bread did the trick for about 700 sheep and goats to join Germany's drive to encourage more people to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

The animals were arranged on Monday into the shape of a roughly 330-foot syringe in a field at Schneverdingen, south of Hamburg.

Shepherd Wiebke Schmidt-Kochan spent several days practicing with her animals, news agency dpa reported. But she said in the end, it wasn't difficult to work things out — she laid out pieces of bread in the shape of the syringe, which the sheep and goats gobbled up when they were let out into the field.

ap22003478488914_wide-227f1c91ae9b5f1b88

• Upvote 1

Kids return to school tomorrow and I'm struggling to find the best description of the Government's plans to keep schools open - "wilfully incompetent"  and "fucking useless" are the leaders at present. Vaccines minister Maggie Throup, the wettest of wet blankets, was on the BBC this morning; when pressed, she couldn't give a number for how many retired teachers were returning to the profession to help out then later claimed it was "a matter of thousands". Really? So you'd think someone would have had the foresight to ensure the background check process was swift and yet some supply agencies are claiming it is taking from one to two months for these necessary checks to be completed.

The plans to deal with staff shortages include asking teaching assistants to act as teachers and take classes  but I'm guessing the poor TAs won't be paid as teaching staff. There is also putting classes together - good job cramming 50+ students in one poorly ventilated classroom won't affect covid transmission. While I'm willing to bet that masks lessen transmission I can't see them being as effective in these circumstances.

Schools were supposed to have CO2 monitors last year; I asked a former colleague how many were in her school and guess the answer ... zero. 7000 air filters are to be provided to schools; there are 32 000 schools with some 300 000 classrooms in the UK. Meanwhile Germany has spent £452 million on improving ventilation in state buildings, including schools.

Is it incompetence or is the plan to expose as many pupils as possible to covid? Throup said in her interview that it was important that "everybody pulls together" - pity the interviewer didn't remind her that that included the Government.

• Upvote 3

Missus is properly ill again, awful cough and headache the lot. Seems worse than when she was ill before xmas. She did a lateral flow yesterday and again this morning, both negative. Before the last month I've only ever known her to be really poorly once and that was when we both had covid first time round. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Missus is properly ill again, awful cough and headache the lot. Seems worse than when she was ill before xmas. She did a lateral flow yesterday and again this morning, both negative. Before the last month I've only ever known her to be really poorly once and that was when we both had covid first time round. 

Hope she gets better soon but sadly one of the side effects of lockdowns and social distancing is that all the other illnesses have had a year of doing push ups while our defences have weakened. There were loads of kids in the Mrs's school blowing chunks like no tomorrow becauss norovirus spent the last year running on the beach with Apollo Creed.

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Lateral flow won't work when showing symptoms. Need to go for a PCR.