You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

People aren't furious with restrictions per se, they are furious about the deceitful way this sad excuse of a Prime Minister goes about his business. He said three weeks before a review, and then conveniently tries to use it as a distraction from his own malfeasance. 

This is not based on the latest scientific evidence, it is based on his whimsical, fly by the wind bullshit decisions.

I can't believe people can't see through today's announcement for what it is, a distraction from the Christmas story crisis. 

Just this weekend his government had said a review would take place on 18th December. At the same time they were saying we should go to work Xmas parties. Yet we are expected to believe from the Sunday political TV rounds till early this morning this covid story has moved so quickly as to bring any plan b decision forward by 10 days after just 3 have passed? It's fucking nonsense. They're changing the rules (regardless of the rights or wrongs of the new restrictions) purely to serve his own purposes and distract from the fact he held a Xmas party and his government held several when we were all in lockdown last year. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boss said:

So, we've moved into the covid passport territory now. Exactly what those attacking people for comparing this situation to Nazi Germany said wouldn't happen. 

I think the real concern is that Covid passports are absolutely not in any conceivable way comparable to Nazi Germany.

37 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I can't believe people can't see through today's announcement for what it is, a distraction from the Christmas story crisis. 

Just this weekend his government had said a review would take place on 18th December. At the same time they were saying we should go to work Xmas parties. Yet we are expected to believe from the Sunday political TV rounds till early this morning this covid story has moved so quickly as to bring any plan b decision forward by 10 days after just 3 have passed? It's fucking nonsense. They're changing the rules (regardless of the rights or wrongs of the new restrictions) purely to serve his own purposes and distract from the fact he held a Xmas party and his government held several when we were all in lockdown last year. 

Say what you like, but to believe that means believing Chris Witty et al are also on the take. 

If that turns out to be true, then buy a gun to protect your home. 

43 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

So the Delta variant is still killing 100+ people per day. The Onicrom is killing nobody. Having restrictions is delaying the Omnicrom variant in becoming dominant, so is it kind of having the adverse effect?

Well, this is the situation as it stands:

15 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Well, this is the situation as it stands:

As it stands is right.

If you believe it isn't a diversion tactic, then Plan B is pre-emptive because they believe hospitals will be overwhelmed.  Seems sensible to take action on the predicted outcomes doesn't it?

It's interesting though - this will go before Parliament, and Johnson might well lose the vote. That would put him under massive pressure to resign. If I were a betting man then my money would be on a new PM before Xmas.

Please god, don't let it be Gove.

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

So the Delta variant is still killing 100+ people per day. The Onicrom is killing nobody. Having restrictions is delaying the Omnicrom variant in becoming dominant, so is it kind of having the adverse effect?

Won't we have to wait a while for the Omnicrom data? 

It's existence hasn't even been known about for the five or six weeks we would need from the evolution of start of cases - hospitalisations - deaths. 

Or is that incorrect? 

I'm fine with following the rules suggested, but I do wonder when this will end?

No doubt with omicron allowed to spread there will be more variants just around the corner. 

The only thing that annoys me is the late response. It's been in the country now for 2 weeks, did we not learn anything from the first and second wave?

A much swifter action would, I believe, restore some public faith in our govt.

2 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

I'm fine with following the rules suggested, but I do wonder when this will end?

No doubt with omicron allowed to spread there will be more variants just around the corner. 

The only thing that annoys me is the late response. It's been in the country now for 2 weeks, did we not learn anything from the first and second wave?

A much swifter action would, I believe, restore some public faith in our govt.

You are presuming a competent government who give a shit.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Quick recap:

You today, as an unvaccinated person have made a decision of you own free will, fully knowing any consequences of that decision. At any time you could, if you like, change that decision or you could wait it out.

You, as a Jew in mid 30's Germany, did not make a decision. There was no free will and you had no idea of the consequences. At no time could you become not Jew and you couldn't wait it out.

Can you see a little "gray" area there?

The Jews had choices. They could've left the country between 1933-1939 under the Haavara agreement which allowed them to emigrate to Palestine to flee persecution. If you had £1000 you could emigrate to Palestine under an immigrant investor program. 60,000 German Jews were resettled under this program. 

• Downvote 9

Just now, Boss said:

The Jews had choices. They could've left the country between 1933-1939 under the Haavara agreement which allowed them to emigrate to Palestine to flee persecution. If you had £1000 you could emigrate to Palestine under an immigrant investor program. 60,000 German Jews were resettled under this program. 

Come on ….. fucking hell 

1 minute ago, Boss said:

Fucking hell. Those lucky, lucky Jews! I bet they were gazing to the future and thinking "I really feel for those poor sods who won't be able to go and see The Matrix Resurrections at the Odeon".