You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It was a mandate, he said mandates were a slippery slope as if we haven't had them before, we have.

Even if they are made mandatory, it won't stop the virus mutating and continuing to reinvent itself.  Vaccinate the whole world, we'll still have Covid and there will still be deaths. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Back it up with evidence.

I mean, I'm literally quoting a post from Spy Bee containing the evidence that masking in Scotland and no masking in England has made no meaningful difference to transmission of the Delta variant.

Now why don't you ask me a 6th time what freedoms we're losing from tomorrow even though you're already fully aware of what rules are coming in tomorrow.

Just now, Pureblood said:

Even if they are made mandatory, it won't stop the virus mutating and continuing to reinvent itself.  Vaccinate the whole world, we'll still have Covid and there will still be deaths. 

You'll have to point me to where I said anything to the contrary in those replies?

It was purely a comment on mandates being a slippery slope.

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Science Editor at The Daily Telegraph, Society of Editors Science Journalist of the Year 2018, Highly Commended 2019 sarah.knapton@telegraph.co.uk

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah I prefer experts to journalists with an agenda Spy Bee. I know that might sting a little. 

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

I mean, I'm literally quoting a post from Spy Bee containing the evidence that masking in Scotland and no masking in England has made no meaningful difference to transmission of the Delta variant.

Now why don't you ask me a 6th time what freedoms we're losing from tomorrow even though you're already fully aware of what rules are coming in tomorrow.

“I’m literally quoting a post from spy bee” hahahahahahahahaha so zero data zero evidence then. As per. 

And yep what liberties are you losing? I mean they are asking us to wear a mask and do the decent thing. I know you don’t value human life very much so maybe that’s it? What liberties are you losing? 

2 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

It will most certainly reduce the number of deaths if everybody was vaccinated.

expert reaction to six cases of the Omicron variant being detected in Scotland | Science Media Centre

Prof Jim Naismith, Director of the Rosalind Franklin Institute, and Professor of Structural Biology, University of Oxford, said:

“However, the ONS survey results on prevalence shows that the Scottish and English approach to masking although formally different since July has made no meaningful difference to Delta.

“In both countries very high levels of prevalence have continued for months.

“Thus the new changes announced are unlikely to have much of impact if Omicron does indeed spread rapidly.”

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Bjornebye, why ask me for evidence if you're just going to neg it?

You know, I'm beginning to suspect you're not interested in productive discussion.

I’m still waiting for evidence. I’ve asked you 7 times what liberties you’re losing and you haven’t answered. 

17 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

It's just possible that the infected people have been flown in from South Africa or another country where it's been detected don't you think.

13 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

They haven't.

10 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Is there a link to the source of your statement?

No link?

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I’m still waiting for evidence. I’ve asked you 7 times what liberties you’re losing and you haven’t answered. 

Well, the evidence that he cites is the fact that transmission of the Delta variant has been similar in Scotland and England, despite the different approaches each country has taken since July.

All of the data is out there if you want to try and prove that the Professor of Structural Biology at the University of Oxford is talking bollocks.