You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

No, it reduces transmission. Given that the vast majority of people are vaccinated there, then you're going to see more cases in vaccinated people than unvaccinated.

There's been 1 Covid-related death in Gibraltar in the last 3 months. The vaccines work.

image.png

Almost zero deaths in Gibraltar since last winter. Interesting. 

36 minutes ago, Mudface said:

No, it reduces transmission. Given that the vast majority of people are vaccinated there, then you're going to see more cases in vaccinated people than unvaccinated.

There's been 1 Covid-related death in Gibraltar in the last 3 months. The vaccines work.

image.png

Reduce/prevent - that's just semantics.

Regardless, this vaccine does neither.  As you say, Gibraltar has high vaccination coverage but still has very high case numbers.  This scenario is repeated in places such as Malta, Iceland, Israel and, on a bigger scale, here in the UK.

We were told that the rollout of the boosters and extending vaccination to teenagers would help bring the number of infections down, but our case numbers have gone up.  

4 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Gibraltar is a strange one. The official vaccine data seems to indicate that the amount of two dosed vaccinated people (just shy of 40k) exceeds the actual population of Gibraltar (just shy of 34k).

I'm no expert and might be missing something (if so, I'd genuinely like to know what?) but these figures would suggest that literally their whole population has been fully vaccinated. But, over the past 3 days, there have been 83 new infections recorded in Gibraltar. These are figures for Gibraltan residents. Of those 83 infections, 41 were unvaccinated. The infection figures are all available on the link below. And, for a greater date range than just the past 3 days, the daily figures are showing a more than negligible proportion of the new infections being unvaccinated people. In some of the daily classes data, the unvaccinated new infections exceed those who were vaccinated. 

It seems strange that there is such a high amount of unvaccinated people showing up in the daily infection figures if we've been led to believe for a few weeks now that literally everyone in Gibraltar was vaccinated? 

Dodgy figures? I'm/others misinterpreting them? Lots of Gibraltan residents showing up in the vaccine figures who were actually unvaccinated when contracting the virus? 

https://mobile.twitter.com/gibraltargov

They also vaccinated lots of other people who were not residents in Gibraltar but worked there. I understand they vaccinated care staff and hospital staff from Spain and other European countries who would work there. 

30 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Regardless, this vaccine does neither.  As you say, Gibraltar has high vaccination coverage but still has very high case numbers.  This scenario is repeated in places such as Malta, Iceland, Israel and, on a bigger scale, here in the UK.

We were told that the rollout of the boosters and extending vaccination to teenagers would help bring the number of infections down, but our case numbers have gone up.  

At least Malta has low hospitalization numbers (I think about four times lower than the UK per capita, and UK's numbers are not particularly worrying at the moment) and almost no deaths, so it makes sense to be a well vaccinated country.

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

At least Malta has low hospitalization numbers (I think about four times lower than the UK per capita, and UK's numbers are not particularly worrying at the moment) and almost no deaths, so it makes sense to be a well vaccinated country.

It makes sense to vaccinate old and at risk people.

It doesn't make sense to vaccinate children, in my view - they're at low risk from the virus, but could end up with myocarditis etc.  

The countries with the highest vaccination rates have very high infection rates so it's at least worthy of debate.

43 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Regardless, this vaccine does neither. 

Vaccines do not effect infection for this. They were not designed to. As with every other vaccination in history. It most assuredly does reduce/prevent serious stuff.

Like death. Unless you can convince yourself otherwise - in which case you are protected by your wisdom.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Vaccines do not effect infection for this. It most assuredly does reduce/prevent serious stuff.

Like death. Unless you can convince yourself otherwise - in which case you are protected by your wisdom.

I think it very much depends on age and other risk factors, but I broadly agree.

I definitely agree that these vaccines have no impact on transmission.

8 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

It makes sense to vaccinate old and at risk people.

It doesn't make sense to vaccinate children, in my view - they're at low risk from the virus, but could end up with myocarditis etc.  

The countries with the highest vaccination rates have very high infection rates so it's at least worthy of debate.

They certainly affect transmission much less than it was hoped. The problem with deciding who to vaccinate is that you don't necessarily know for sure that someone is not at risk of ending up with a bad case. I think risks of vaccination are still relatively low, certainly low enough to not reject it for most people.

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

You'll need a PCR test now. Before (think you can get it same day if you want to) day two, then isolation until you get your negative result. 

What? Isolation without being positive? So two day trips is a no go then?

1 minute ago, Code said:

What? Isolation without being positive? So two day trips is a no go then?

Seems like it, mate. I'm assuming even if you did your test as soon as you arrived the quickest you would get the result is the next day. Maybe that isn't the case if you get it done at the airport, for example. Not sure.

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Just put your Spider-Man outfit on and climb a chimney. You’ll be ok. 

Mark Twain once said: "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." 

You're the personification of what he was talking about.

16 minutes ago, Boss said:

Mark Twain once said: "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." 

You're the personification of what he was talking about.

Yes mate. Spot on. I remember your shite in the Sarah Everard thread.

(oh, and he didn’t say it - standard fare really) 

Been a case reported in my little lads class now. 

Only 6 year olds, so in all likelihood if he gets it, he'll be fine. 

But I'm stressed off my bracket, my missus went to Madrid today for work, so I'm going to have to navigate this week all on my lonesome. 

What a time to be alive.... My bollox it is..... 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Been a case reported in my little lads class now. 

Only 6 year olds, so in all likelihood if he gets it, he'll be fine. 

But I'm stressed off my bracket, my missus went to Madrid today for work, so I'm going to have to navigate this week all on my lonesome. 

What a time to be alive.... My bollox it is..... 

We get emails whenever there’s a case at my lads school. Phone nearly blew up with the amount of emails we got this week.

I'm coming around to the position that we're all (or virtually all) eventually going to get it, it's just a question of your age/vaccination status as to how serious it's likely to be.

Me, my wife, and kids are all vaccinated. Three of the four of us have now had it, thankfully after we were vaccinated. All felt sick for a few days, more of a head cold than anything, nothing too serious. 

This week the in-laws came down for the American holiday Thanksgiving, got here and then my father-in-law wasn't feeling well so he took a test - turns out he had it as well. Felt poorly for a day and a half, then mostly fine. Now the mother-in-law has it, but again, nothing too serious. They are in their 70s and vaccinated and it's not really anything dangerous for most people of that status with no underlying conditions.

I say if a country has access to vaccines, they should give it time for everyone who wants to be vaccinated and then pretty much just let it run its course at this point. It's becoming obvious that there are always going to be more and more variants and it's always going to be a part of our lives in the future, so may as well just get comfortable with knowing you're going to get it and get used to it. The real issue to address now is not lockdowns or masks but how do we get vaccines into the hands of the poorer countries around the world without the infrastructure and pharmaceutical industry to make their own.

• Upvote 1