You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Drinking Coors. It’s a fucking disgrace. 

In all seriousness, my sister works in the kitchen at a ‘Spoons and she’s fully expecting to be on the dole by Monday. 

Looks like my wife might be as well, at least short term anyway. If it happens @Rico1304 i hear you're minted mate any chance of a sub?

Corporate cuntery at its finest

Australian Government announces $715 million handout to help struggling airlines get through the crisis.

The next day the CEO, an noxious little Irish gnome called Alan Jones (on a salary north of $4 million + plus bonuses) lays off 20000 workers without pay. That's twenty thousand people without an income facing life on one of the lowest unemployment payments (government name Newstart, commonly known as Newstarve) payable only once they have used their life savings.

I repeat CUNTS.

• Upvote 1

Just read a claim that the government backed Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan will be subject to standard borrowing rules and that homeowners will be asked to agree to a voluntary charge being placed on their property, meaning that it will be a secured loan. 

I'm not sure if this is true. But, it's a bit fucked up if it is 

We arranged to import some products from Wuhan in January. Just checking back through emails and they apologised for the delay, said things were getting back to normal and said they were due to be dispatched on March 8th. They said they would confirm dispatch as soon as it was organised. They've not been dispatched and we've heard nothing further - this is a big company supplying globally.

Cut a long story short, I reckon they are still on full lockdown. Also heard a report that they were back into full operation from today. I wonder what that will result in?

7 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

What use is a global pandemic if you can't profit off it? Hail our Tory overlords.

Depends who is profiting Randox and Biopanda have proven covid 19  testing kits available and are selling to every country bar the NHS. One of Boris's mates must be close to getting a kit on the market more than likely a venture capitalist outfit with JRM on the board of directors.

American adults of all ages — not just those in their 70s, 80s and 90s — are being seriously sickened by the coronavirus, according to a report on nearly 2,500 of the first recorded cases in the United States.

The report, issued Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, found that — as in other countries — the oldest patients had the greatest likelihood of dying and of being hospitalized. But of the 508 patients known to have been hospitalized, 38 percent were notably younger — between 20 and 54. And nearly half of the 121 patients who were admitted to intensive care units were adults under 65, the C.D.C. reported.

“I think everyone should be paying attention to this,” said Stephen S. Morse, a professor of epidemiology at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health. “It’s not just going to be the elderly. There will be people age 20 and up. They do have to be careful, even if they think that they’re young and healthy.”

The findings served to underscore an appeal issued Wednesday at a White House briefing by Dr. Deborah Birx, a physician and State Department official who is a leader of the administration’s coronavirus task force. Citing similar reports of young adults in Italy and in France being hospitalized and needing intensive care, Dr. Birx implored the millennial generation to stop socializing in groups and to take care to protect themselves and others.

“You have the potential then to spread it to someone who does have a condition that none of us knew about, and cause them to have a disastrous outcome,” Dr. Birx said, addressing young people.

In the C.D.C. report, 20 percent of the hospitalized patients and 12 percent of the intensive care patients were between the ages of 20 and 44, basically spanning the millennial generation.

“Younger people may feel more confident about their ability to withstand a virus like this,” said Dr. Christopher Carlsten, head of respiratory medicine at the University of British Columbia. But, he said, “if that many younger people are being hospitalized, that means that there are a lot of young people in the community that are walking around with the infection.”

The new data represents a preliminary look at the first significant wave of cases in the United States that does not include people who returned to the country from Wuhan, China, or from Japan, the authors reported. Between Feb. 12 and March 16, there were 4,226 such cases reported to the C.D.C., the study says.

The ages were reported for 2,449 of those patients, the C.D.C. said, and of those, 6 percent were 85 and older, and 25 percent were between 65 and 84. Twenty-nine percent were aged 20 to 44.

The age groups of 55 to 64 and 45 to 54 each included 18 percent of the total. Only 5 percent of cases were diagnosed in people 19 and younger.

The risk of a patient requiring hospitalization or dying of the infection caused by the coronavirus increased with age, as has been the pattern in other countries.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/younger-adults-comprise-big-portion-of-coronavirus-hospitalizations-in-us/ar-BB11nGEB?li=BBnb7Kz

1 minute ago, clockspeed said:

Depends who is profiting Randox and Biopanda have proven covid 19  testing kits available and are selling to every country bar the NHS. One of Boris's mates must be close to getting a kit on the market more than likely a venture capitalist outfit with JRM on the board of directors.

They're psychos. Guardian showed a poll a bit ago that said : "Some 49% of people think the government is handling it well, against 35% who think it is handling it badly (a net rating of +14)". Makes me wonder what planet some of these people are on.

12 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

They're psychos. Guardian showed a poll a bit ago that said : "Some 49% of people think the government is handling it well, against 35% who think it is handling it badly (a net rating of +14)". Makes me wonder what planet some of these people are on.

Joe is the Dunphy of GAA lot of GAA/NI/ROI political stuff . Says what he sees though.

• Upvote 3

In other news my sister has had it. Not tested, but her resting heart rate of 60 was going as high as 108 without exercise. She had sats of 97 and a tempt of 38 point something. She also had chest pains. She's on the mend now, just aching like mad and coughing, but already working from home.

It seems a very large number of fit and healthy people will be asymptomatic or experience mild symptoms, so many of us could have it and not know.

I wonder if the increased numbers of young people in the USA is to do with the obesity or their massive amount of pharmaceutical usage? There seems to be a variable there, as it's very different than other countries. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

In other news my sister has had it. Not tested, but her resting heart rate of 60 was going as high as 108 without exercise. She had sats of 97 and a tempt of 38 point something. She also had chest pains. She's on the mend now, just aching like mad and coughing, but already working from home.

It seems a very large number of fit and healthy people will be asymptomatic or experience mild symptoms, so many of us could have it and not know.

I wonder if the increased numbers of young people in the USA is to do with the obesity or their massive amount of pharmaceutical usage? There seems to be a variable there, as it's very different than other countries. 

That was my first reaction to the American stats - obesity.

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Good she's on the mend mate, Obesity could well play a big part due to Diabetes.