You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

On 07/08/2021 at 19:47, Bruce Spanner said:

I'm currently reading 'The Constitution of Knowledge: A Defense of Truth' by Jonathan Rauch and I can't reccomend it highly enough.

It goes in to the politics of disinformation, but more interestingly the psychology of it all.

It's a fascinating insight in to how this has been used and is now out of control as it's creating alternate, individually defined, realities, and the shared common experience, and more importantly the agreed upon parameters of reality, are being knowingly eroded.

Scary stuff.

Sounds interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I find the whole area of disinformation and how a society settles on an accepted truth particularly fascinating.

17 hours ago, Iceman said:

Agreed JJ, it provides no classic immunity and instead gives a therapeutic reduction in symptoms. It's hard to disagree with your low score on vaccine scale either. I know many rate it lower than that, and you can see why when it was sold to us as 95% effective. 

Saw this from some Prof of Immunology earlier, to expand on the convo - last couple of paragraphs really:

This American summer provides a real-time cautionary tale that should prompt us not to get ahead of ourselves. Despite having only 50 per cent of the population fully vaccinated against the SARS-COV-2 virus, related restrictions were eased prematurely in the United States. On Cape Cod, hundreds crowded into the popular holiday area and the virus had a field day. Most alarmingly, 74 per cent of the infections occurred in fully vaccinated individuals. Most experienced only minor symptoms and significantly none died. But those infected were carrying very high viral loads and were, of course, infectious.

We have known for many months that vaccination does not stop one from carrying viruses in one’s respiratory secretions but this event finally persuaded the American Centres for Disease Control and Prevention to call for the vaccinated to wear masks when indoors and to maintain social distancing.

You may have followed the negative reaction from many that followed. Just when they thought vaccination would provide freedom from the scourge of COVID, they were once again told to wear masks and practise social distancing. Incredibly, some governors decided this was intolerable and actually banned mandatory mask-wearing.

We immunologists expected this situation. While the vaccines we use do reduce the carriage of virus in our respiratory secretions by, on average, 50 per cent, none produce what is called “sterilising immunity”, a state where the immune system will not allow viruses to reside in those secretions.

We have a purpose-evolved mucosal immune system with special skills to protect our “inner skin”, the mucous membranes that line noses, throats and intestines. This system is poorly activated by vaccines injected into the body. Hence, injected vaccines only effectively protect our vital internal organs, and thankfully they do that very well. Dozens of laboratories are hard at work trying to produce vaccines that can be administered by nasal sprays.

There was a fair bit more about what % of the population would need to be vaccinated before letting her rip, and why children should be vaccinated too, the little germ factories.  Apparently in the US, 36,000 children have been admitted to hospital and nearly 400 have died?  I know there's over 200 million people there so pretty low in population terms, but you'd think that would make people sit up a bit.

Having RA finally pays off- because the treatment renders me immuno-compromised, my youngest son is eligible to get the vaccine early rather than waiting until he turns 16. So he should be fully jabbed by early October, ahead of the Winter chaos that's bound to occur.

15 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Protesters have tried to storm the BBC today. Only problem is they’ve gone to the old BBC headquarters, the one that’s now a Soho House hotel, some flats and ITV studios.  I for one will be taking medical advice from these people. 

And the best Sushi restaurant in the whole of London…

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Worryingly that guy looks  like a cross between Stig and me.  

Jesus Christ I clicked that expecting to see a 900 year old Gerard Butler impersonator but fuck me I see what you’re saying. God we make a worryingly handsome (in a John Virgo style) combo. Look out ladies were here to talk to you about 147s and how shit Top Gear is these days