You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Ok, how about ‘half the people are dumber than the average person’? Thing is, everyone thinks they are above average. 

I'd go further and say a person has unlimited intelligence. When a person becomes a number of people, their capacity for intelligence drops to the lowest demoninator. 

Therefore people are dumb is correct. A person is dumb isn't. 

1 hour ago, Red Shift said:

We have a successful bubble with the Cook Islands, which is also Covid free. The idea I think, was to expand on the Australasian bubble after initial success, but clearly now, Ardern & Co. are back to square one as you correctly surmise.

However, our balance of payments over the last yr hasn’t been as bad as anticipated even though tourism hit record low levels. Food exports have been efficient, and we can feed ourselves. Everything domestically is open including said tourism sector, so we’re all holidaymakers in our own superb playground. Probably the biggest issue is a lack of Tradies, especially builders, but apprenticeships are up. The lack of Seasonal overseas workers is being counteracted by actually getting people off the dole here and getting them into some of those jobs with assistance for employers and temp accommodation for workers willing to move.

Latest report from our economists has open borders a long way off but sustainable with the current system of ‘select’ entry after quarantine and neg test.

Maybe the next step might be to consider broadening the criteria for 'select' entrants, possibly even consider a 7 day quarantine too with a negative PCR on day 6/7.  Subject to higher uptake of the vaccine of course.

Not easy decisions to make but it's probably either that or stay closed until Covid is virtually eradicated.

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Maybe the next step might be to consider broadening the criteria for 'select' entrants, possibly even consider a 7 day quarantine too with a negative PCR on day 6/7.  Subject to higher uptake of the vaccine of course.

Not easy decisions to make but it's probably either that or stay closed until Covid is virtually eradicated.

Judging by its incredible mutability, I don’t see any eradication for a very long time if not at all. I know a lot of work is still being done to determine the exact conditions of crossover to humans, but who’s to say what’s to come? Has climate change played its part? There are a lot of questions to be answered, and my understanding is that a lot of these food markets still exist across Asia, even if China has all but eliminated them.

Just getting back to the vaccine, I’m not anti vax and will definitely be getting it. However, timing for me is everything. I’m currently in recovery from RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) which has hit me hard (63, x-smoker, officially pre-diabetic). RSV is raging across the country at the moment. A vaccine is apparently at least 5 yrs away. I also need a flu shot which I haven’t had yet and that needs to be kept apart from the Pfizer shot. Timeline will probably be get rid of symptoms of RSV, followed by flu shot in about a month’s time, then look at my 1st pfizer shot, with a three week gap to the 2nd shot (which apparently helps against the delta variant).

There is no way I’m going near the Pfizer shot while I recover from what has been a real kick in the guts from RSV. Yes, RSV hospitalises young kids, but it also kills the elderly.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/rsv-six-dead-in-auckland-as-covid-19-takes-its-toll-on-our-national-immunity/B56A6X5LCCRA6ONKON5RVKUJ74/

4 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Judging by its incredible mutability, I don’t see any eradication for a very long time if not at all. I know a lot of work is still being done to determine the exact conditions of crossover to humans, but who’s to say what’s to come? Has climate change played its part? There are a lot of questions to be answered, and my understanding is that a lot of these food markets still exist across Asia, even if China has all but eliminated them.

Just getting back to the vaccine, I’m not anti vax and will definitely be getting it. However, timing for me is everything. I’m currently in recovery from RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) which has hit me hard (63, x-smoker, officially pre-diabetic). RSV is raging across the country at the moment. A vaccine is apparently at least 5 yrs away. I also need a flu shot which I haven’t had yet and that needs to be kept apart from the Pfizer shot. Timeline will probably be get rid of symptoms of RSV, followed by flu shot in about a month’s time, then look at my 1st pfizer shot, with a three week gap to the 2nd shot (which apparently helps against the delta variant).

There is no way I’m going near the Pfizer shot while I recover from what has been a real kick in the guts from RSV. Yes, RSV hospitalises young kids, but it also kills the elderly.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/rsv-six-dead-in-auckland-as-covid-19-takes-its-toll-on-our-national-immunity/B56A6X5LCCRA6ONKON5RVKUJ74/

Can I ask why the flu shot needs to be kept away from the Pfizer shot? I don’t remember much being made of that over here. In fact I think I had my Pfizer jab not that long after getting a flu shot. We were encouraged to have both with the rationale being if you were unlucky enough to catch Covid and flu at the same time it would be bad news. 

2 hours ago, Soft Joe said:

Can I ask why the flu shot needs to be kept away from the Pfizer shot? I don’t remember much being made of that over here. In fact I think I had my Pfizer jab not that long after getting a flu shot. We were encouraged to have both with the rationale being if you were unlucky enough to catch Covid and flu at the same time it would be bad news. 

Some people have had bad reactions here to both at the same time. We’ve been urged to keep them about 2-3 wks apart. The advice comes direct from the MOH.

• Upvote 1

I've only fleetingly followed this thread, so couldn't be arsed getting into the whole, anti vax, pro vax bollox. 

But I'm following what the scientists say and recommend, as opposed to what some flute bag on twitter or Facebook does. 

I've had covid, without the vaccine and recovered quickly from it. I also recently had the vaccine to, just to really double down on my two fingers to the virus. 

But tme simple way I look at it is this. 

Measles is way more transmissible than covid, yes, even the delta variant. But who knows anyone that ever had measles?? 

Then ask yourself why that is??? 

I'll leave it here

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I've only fleetingly followed this thread, so couldn't be arsed getting into the whole, anti vax, pro vax bollox. 

But I'm following what the scientists say and recommend, as opposed to what some flute bag on twitter or Facebook does. 

I've had covid, without the vaccine and recovered quickly from it. I also recently had the vaccine to, just to really double down on my two fingers to the virus. 

Measles is way more transmissible than covid, yes, even the delta variant. But who knows anyone that ever had measles?? 

I'll leave it here

I had severe measles as a kid, aged around 11/12.

Ended up in hospital for a couple of weeks.

As you can imagine I needed to be kept clean so the pretty nurses gave me bed and sponge baths.

It was around this time I realised my cock wasn’t just for pissing out of…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Iceman said:

"Our vaccines are working exceptionally well. They continue to work well for Delta but what they can't do is prevent transmission."

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky

u wot m8? - YouTube

Yeah, what vaccines do is prep the immune system to fight off infection, right?

So if it’s a good vaccine you still get “infected” but then the body fights it off quick enough before you; a) get sick, and b) pass it on.

With the vaccines developed against SARS-Cov-2, the data suggests they are prompting a strong enough immune response to reduce the effects of infection - less sickness and death because the body is well prepped - and therefore also viral load and infectious ness, but not enough to fully prevent any effects or any spread.

So I’m giving them a C+ on the vaccine scale. Could do better.

12 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

People are dumb; 

homeopathy

flat earth

chiropractors 

Faith healers

psychic healers

Religion

I have a cousin, believe it to not he’s a lovely lad however there’s no conspiracy theory he won’t get behind, faked moon landing, 9/11 inside job, that kind of thing, he’s anti vax obviously, thinks COVID doesn’t exist. Anyway I’ve not seen him for a while  and I was speaking to an uncle recently, apparently my cousins gone flat earth…….never go flat earth.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'll leave it here

I had measles as a kid. But didn’t spend time in hospital getting bed baths like Bruce.

The lucky bastard. 

17 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

So if it’s a good vaccine you still get “infected” but then the body fights it off quick enough before you; a) get sick, and b) pass it on.

With the vaccines developed against SARS-Cov-2, the data suggests they are prompting a strong enough immune response to reduce the effects of infection - less sickness and death because the body is well prepped - and therefore also viral load and infectious ness, but not enough to fully prevent any effects or any spread.

Agreed JJ, it provides no classic immunity and instead gives a therapeutic reduction in symptoms. It's hard to disagree with your low score on vaccine scale either. I know many rate it lower than that, and you can see why when it was sold to us as 95% effective. 

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'll leave it here

58 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I had severe measles as a kid, aged around 11/12.

Ended up in hospital for a couple of weeks.

As you can imagine I needed to be kept clean so the pretty nurses gave me bed and sponge baths.

It was around this time I realised my cock wasn’t just for pissing out of…

I had measles as a kid as well, both of my cousins had it and certainly a few people in my classes at school at various times.

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The "trust your own immune system" thing is tough to hear someone say in this context. It makes absolutely no sense. That's gotta be some weird "I'm a big indestructible man" type mental block.

Do they not realise that being vaccinated is all about trusting your immune system?

You can't just sit in a car and trust it to get you where you want to go. You've got to start it and steer it.

2 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'll leave it here

I think a lot of those who have had it can thank Andrew fucking Wakefield.

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

The virus mutates and the delta variant is more transmissible. The original variant is almost out of existence now.  Obviously the people who don’t get vaccinated in the U.K. are providing the virus with the opportunity to mutate. But you know all this. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

Agreed JJ, it provides no classic immunity and instead gives a therapeutic reduction in symptoms. It's hard to disagree with your low score on vaccine scale either. I know many rate it lower than that, and you can see why when it was sold to us as 95% effective. 

This "many" who rate the vaccines so low - who are they? Immunologists? Virologists? Epidemiologists? Blokes down the pub?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The virus mutates and the delta variant is more transmissible. The original variant is almost out of existence now.  Obviously the people who don’t get vaccinated in the U.K. are providing the virus with the opportunity to mutate. But you know all this. 

Yeah, agreed. The delta variety has upped the transmission rates, so the vaccines are slightly less effective at stopping transmission. Still better than no vaccine of course.

What I was getting at was this is no different to the way any vaccines work.

It’s no big gotcha when some health expert or other says it’s not stopping infection.

Considering they’ve blammed these out in about 12 months it’s still a massive triumph. 
But, people expect vaccines to give immunity from disease and stop spread, so when the COVID vaccines are not 100% doing that, they get confused. 

• Upvote 2