You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

I was in the ASDA in Smithdown Road this morning and someone had put copies of a "free newspaper" called The Light on the stand with all the other papers. It was nothing but anti-vaxx, anti-mask, anti-science dangerous lies.

The good thing about it being free is that I could help myself to every copy. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a recycling bin, so they had to go in with the general shite.

• Upvote 4

On 27/07/2021 at 13:57, Skidfingers McGonical said:

It’s not enough until I come on with my finally gotten badge of honour. I won’t be pressured into making a decision by anyone but those that need to influence. I have taken a lot of fantastic opinions from all sides on this thread and it’s all been taken into consideration. However this is the last post I’m making on it. I’ll still read, but anyone who has responded after this. I’m not responding. 

Stay safe and hope it all works out for you all. 

That worked out well

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Nobody said you were not a nonce man - don't see why you are getting so worked up over it.

That's why he's getting worked up.  He's worked hard to earn the right to be considered one of the age's preeminent nonces and he's just not getting the credit he deserves.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I love getting it back. Proves you aren’t all soft arsed lefties!  

Reading it you’ll see I think he’s stupid and Skids got all defensive.  Why he gives a fuck is beyond me. 

Then some tool tried to get me to say I wasn’t a nonce, as if I’d deny that.  The wind left his sails pretty quickly.  

Sounds silly to say but things written on here clearly matter to people. We'd all do well to remember that. 

Fair play for the soft arse lefties comment. I might save that for future use. 

9 hours ago, CapeRed said:

My lad in Melbourne has gone into lockdown, 8 cases.

My Son lives in N.S.W.

Aussie is a fucking mess. We’ve just closed the ‘bubble’ indefinitely. The Aussie Government wants lockdowns but is offering businesses no financial support. You cant have it both ways. There are a lot of Kiwis refusing the vaccination because its so bloody obvious that as soon as 80 odd % of us have had it, they’re gonna let the whole stinking world into Aotearoa. Right now, we’re in paradise.

I was vaccinated back in April but came down with COVID-19 a few weeks ago. It's been going around Florida and I guess I'm just in that 5% that still gets it even though I was fully vaccinated.

I have to say, though, having COVID when you're vaccinated is ... pretty good? At least it was for me. I wasn't sick, really, just a mild sinus congestion and a fever of 38 for about 12 hours. I might have gone to go to work but given the numbers everywhere my boss suggested I stay home and get tested just to be safe. Other than that I would never have known I even had it.

And so for me it basically ended up being a mini-vacation. Couldn't go to work, but didn't feel bad at all. Worked out well, though 10 days of quarantine was a bit too long. After 4-5 days I was ready to get back into the swing of things. Today was my first day allowed back into the world and it feels good.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

5%, curious NMI where are you getting that number from? 

95% success in preventing infection after 14 days post-second dose of Moderna (the vaccine I got), according to the data.

Although that was in trials, pre-Delta, so it's probably more like 90% or something now. Still, having been vaccinated is definitely keeping the numbers of hospitalised and deaths down, so even if you get infected, it's not that serious in most cases.

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9869089/US-records-nearly-100-000-COVID-19-cases-day-time-February.html

CDC warns Indian 'Delta' variant accounts for 93% of ALL infections and vaccines 'can't prevent transmission'.

Here’s what that articles says 

Health experts say the cause is mainly due to the highly transmissible Delta variant spading in areas with low vaccination rates. 

My brother in law in Edinburgh has caught it. He’s fully vaxxed, 52 years old and very fit. He says it’s like a bad hangover, but he’s lost his sense of smell and everything tastes salty.  It’s the delta variant. My sister however hasn’t caught it despite sleeping with him for the days leading up to him getting symptoms and the Friday night when he thought he’d a bit if a hangover from a few beers on the Thursday evening. My sister is vaxxed too. This was a week ago and the bil is much better now. No one else in the house caught it. 

29 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

My brother in law in Edinburgh has caught it. He’s fully vaxxed, 52 years old and very fit. He says it’s like a bad hangover, but he’s lost his sense of smell and everything tastes salty.  It’s the delta variant. My sister however hasn’t caught it despite sleeping with him for the days leading up to him getting symptoms and the Friday night when he thought he’d a bit if a hangover from a few beers on the Thursday evening. My sister is vaxxed too. This was a week ago and the bil is much better now. No one else in the house caught it. 

Yeah, despite at least two of us in our house having it at different points over the last 6 months, to the best of my knowledge, the Mrs has been fine. Weird.

18 hours ago, Red Shift said:

My Son lives in N.S.W.

Aussie is a fucking mess. We’ve just closed the ‘bubble’ indefinitely. The Aussie Government wants lockdowns but is offering businesses no financial support. You cant have it both ways. There are a lot of Kiwis refusing the vaccination because its so bloody obvious that as soon as 80 odd % of us have had it, they’re gonna let the whole stinking world into Aotearoa. Right now, we’re in paradise.

Aussie and New Zealand looks pretty good from Cape Town. We have 37000 active cases in the western cape. Apparently a lot of black males ate refusing to get vaccinated as its bad muti.

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

The Mrs got it last year and we just assumed I must have had it due to similar thought processes as yours above , but I then read an article saying that passing it on via spouses is much lower than you might expect ( from memory about 17% )

19 hours ago, Red Shift said:

My Son lives in N.S.W.

What's the alternative though? How else can NZ emerge from it's brilliantly effective but economically and emotionally challenging lockdown?  Maybe the government should encourage vaccine take up by setting out a plan for opening up?  Maybe initially they could say we'll open up for important personal and business travel, and see how that goes? 

I was only thinking about NZ this morning, how hard it must be to decide how to come out of this.

edit - and there's opening up, and opening up.  No reason NZ can't open up a bit more and still insist on negative PCRs and quarantine hotels

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Definitely worth listening to this bloke and trusting your immune system.  

Freaks me out the way people increasingly Tweet these kind of stories as though somehow it serves them right. Yes some of the conspiracy stuff is nuts, but I absolutely understand vaccine hesitancy given the circumstances (speed it's been developed etc), plus he doesn't say he's glad he's got it as he's trying to make out it's nothing to write home about is he I don't think? More that he's glad he'll get the antibodies.

It's like Brexit all over again. Not everyone who voted Brexit is a racist moron, not everyone who refuses the vaccine doesn't believe in the moon landings.

This is hard shit for everyone to get through, everyone tries to cope in their own way, many can't cope at all.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Freaks me out the way people increasingly Tweet these kind of stories as though somehow it serves them right. Yes some of the conspiracy stuff is nuts, but I absolutely understand vaccine hesitancy given the circumstances (speed it's been developed etc), plus he doesn't say he's glad he's got it as he's trying to make out it's nothing to write home about is he I don't think? More that he's glad he'll get the antibodies.

It's like Brexit all over again. Not everyone who voted Brexit is a racist moron, not everyone who refuses the vaccine doesn't believe in the moon landings.

This is hard shit for everyone to get through, everyone tries to cope in their own way, many can't cope at all.

Excellent post Section. There's almost delight in the death of those who are non-vaccinated. It's disturbing how callous we've become in such a short space of time. 

4 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Excellent post Section. There's almost delight in the death of those who are non-vaccinated. It's disturbing how callous we've become in such a short space of time. 

Ive never once seen delight in anyone’s death or anything remotely close to it. 

Care to give a single example?