You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Skidfingers' stance of not getting a vaccination because most other people will is a perfectly valid strategy from a game theory perspective. 

Bit of a selfish cunt, likes his far right based conspiracy theory, also likes to smoke weed. I've got him down as a modern US style Libertarian. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Bit of a selfish cunt, likes his far right based conspiracy theory, also likes to smoke weed. I've got him down as a modern US style Libertarian. 

Nah, not all free riders are libertarians, far from it...

I don't get this thing about anti-vaxxers being far-right. There's anti-vaxxers on the far-left and far-right and I'm sure there's plenty inbetween too. It's maybe just that the far-right are the best at making a twat of themselves in the process and making the most noise.

10 minutes ago, Chris said:

2% of vaccinated people over 50 were killed by Delta then? Kinda worrying when you put it like that. There's a 50/1 shot it'll still kill you our mums and grandparents (and some of our fellow posters) if they get it. 

Probably even more context required. How many of those people had pre-existing health conditions, etc.

He didn’t drill down that far because I think he just wanted to emphasise the clear fact that vaccines do dramatically reduce your chance of death.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't get this thing about anti-vaxxers being far-right. There's anti-vaxxers on the far-left and far-right and I'm sure there's plenty inbetween too. It's maybe just that the far-right are the best at making a twat of themselves in the process and making the most noise.

Don't know much about the rallys and twitter / facebook stuff , but practically everybody regularly seen on tv putting forward the ' get rid of lockdowns / vaccine sceptics ' part of the argument are the usual suspects like Malone , Hopkins and Hartley-Brewer from right wing news outlets or more extreme Tory politicians who don't think Johnson is re-opening fast enough.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Don't know much about the rallys and twitter / facebook stuff , but practically everybody regularly seen on tv putting forward the ' get rid of lockdowns / vaccine sceptics ' part of the argument are the usual suspects like Malone , Hopkins and Hartley-Brewer from right wing news outlets or more extreme Tory politicians who don't think Johnson is re-opening fast enough.

Ah I'm mainly meaning the first things as I don't watch tv apart from some footie usually. I've seen clips of them on tv from social media though and would probably be sick of them if I actually watched it often. I'm not saying it's balanced between left and right, more that I think there's more from the left and center than we usually think with the focus being so much on the right.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Old Hippies are anti vax, and definitely not on the far right.

My antibody test results were negative-

Thank you for doing a coronavirus (COVID-19) antibody test.

No antibodies were found in your blood sample.
This means it’s unlikely you’ve had COVID-19 in the last 6 months.
It’s important to keep following coronavirus advice.
This test only looked for antibodies from an infection, rather than antibodies made after the vaccination.

Although I'm sure I've had long Covid since I hit my twenties.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Old Hippies are anti vax, and definitely not on the far right.

Jezza should tell his brother to get down to his allotment and smoke some of his weed. He'd probably be better being a hippie than peeling safety stickers off trains.

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Ah I'm mainly meaning the first things as I don't watch tv apart from some footie usually. I've seen clips of them on tv from social media though and would probably be sick of them if I actually watched it often. I'm not saying it's balanced between left and right, more that I think there's more from the left and center than we usually think with the focus being so much on the right.

I think there will be people who are naturally fearing vaccines across all of the political spectrum. But that doesn't mean they all go out and campaign on it. There's then a section of people who have politicised vaccine and lockdown. They literally don't care about any evidence, they just want to believe literally everything that happens in life is some big governmental or financial overlord trying to take their liberties. I was unfortunate enough to have the rally go past me at the weekend. All the Brexit banners and other right wing nonsense are out there. The right is a rallying point for this, of that there seems little or no doubt. 

• Upvote 2

Having to isolate for a second time at the moment. My youngest lad got a message from his school the day after he broke up saying that someone in his class had reported a positive result. My suspicion is that the parents sent them in anyway so they didn't miss any of the fun stuff (parties, production etc.) in the last week and only reported it on the Saturday. Half of his class have now got it. Anyway, on day 10 of isolation, he tests positive, after 9 previous days of him getting negative results. So, 10 more days stuck in. Myself and Mrs Tash are now taking part in the pilot scheme, whereby we test everyday, and can go out (in a limited fashion) if results are negative. I think that's going to be the norm from now on.

14 hours ago, cloggypop said:

I am still to see evidence that you don’t fiddle with kids. 

But you know it’s easy to make absolute fucking bullshit up. 

• Upvote 1

I'm all for wearing masks because it's the right thing to do, even if it stops a miniscule amount of spread. 

But you can't blame people for not wanting to wear them or at least not trust anything "scientists" say today when they just flip/flop and seem to have very little integrity like the bygone days. 

I'm no fan of any right/left divisive tactics but this little video does highlight the mixed messages being sent to millions of people. 

EDIT: I know science does 'change' as new things are learned, maybe that's why he seems very confused.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Champ said:

Were you a weeny bit disappointed?

A bit, yeah. I didn't think I'd had it, but if I had been infected it would have been asymptomatic, which would have been nice. The email says within the last 6 months, so I guess I could have had it last year, but that's a bit of a stretch really.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Genomic sequencing.

"In sum, it's not possible to detect a rise in variants based on routine, individual COVID-19 tests. But scientists can use genomic sequencing on select specimens and then estimate the percentages of cases caused by each variant, and that is, in fact, what they're doing."

https://leadstories.com/hoax-alert/2021/07/fact-check-covid-19-variants-are-detected-through-genomic-sequencing-not-routine-'test-kits'.html

So they're estimating it. Interesting. 

4 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I'm all for wearing masks because it's the right thing to do, even if it stops a miniscule amount of spread. 

But you can't blame people for not wanting to wear them or at least not trust anything "scientists" say today when they just flip/flop and seem to have very little integrity like the bygone days. 

I'm no fan of any right/left divisive tactics but this little video does highlight the mixed messages being sent to millions of people. 

EDIT: I know science does 'change' as new things are learned, maybe that's why he seems very confused.

Yeah he's clearly giving mixed messages. How could the data on masks change so drastically and then keep changing? No wonder people are confused. Now telling folks who are double jabbed to stay home and wear masks. Ridiculous.